Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Strokes Guild!
First Impressions of Earth

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think of "First Impressions of Earth"?
  I really like it
  I kinda like it
  It's so-so
  I kinda don't like it
View Results

SteakGrowsOnDimitri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:58 pm


What do you guys think of this album?

I've got a couple things that kind of fit into the discussion:
1) There are some moments where I'm remided of U2. Specifically, on "Fear of Sleep" when Jules bawls "You're no fun" over and over, I can't help but think of Bono.

2) It seems that as The Strokes continue to make albums, they get darker in their general tone and sound. Has anyone else noticed this?

3) Finally, this album is about as long as Is This It? and Room On Fire combined at just under 1 hour. Listening to it, I find moments where songs seem to drag on a little. In "Ask Me Anything", I feel like the song should end about three times before it does. I do not mean this as a knock on the song, just that it seems to wrap up a few times before it actually does.

Overall, I think First Impressions of Earth is a little weaker than The Strokes' previous albums. There are some good songs (You Only Live Once, Juicebox, Razorblade, Evening Sun) and some songs that have their moments (15 Minutes, Electricityscape, Fear of Sleep, Ize of the World), but I don't think that this album has the same kind of overall strength of Room on Fire or Is This It?.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:24 am


Well I agree, Its not their best album.

the first time i listened to it i felt like crying because i thought it was bad, and how can the strokes be bad?

so now, when i've got the album for a couple of months and have listened to it quite a few times i've learned to apreciate it and even like it. it's different and therefor special.
so I like it now and i don't feel bad anymore. although some songs are really bad (ask my anything).

AlbertJR


Kilmee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:39 pm


First Impressions of Earth was the first Strokes album I bought. I don't know if hearing it before the other two made a difference, but personally I'm in love with it. I recently got Room On Fire though, and I can see that the songs on FIOE aren't as catchy, but I still love them. They all sound different. And as for "Say Anything".. I really like the lyrics, and I don't find the song that bad at all, but maybe that's just me blaugh
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:27 pm


Kilmee
First Impressions of Earth was the first Strokes album I bought. I don't know if hearing it before the other two made a difference, but personally I'm in love with it. I recently got Room On Fire though, and I can see that the songs on FIOE aren't as catchy, but I still love them. They all sound different. And as for "Say Anything".. I really like the lyrics, and I don't find the song that bad at all, but maybe that's just me blaugh



First cd of The Strokes I got too, so that's why I love it so much.

He-Critter


Cheezy Philosopher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:58 pm


hmmm.... i like the songs off of Room on Fire, but I think Jules sings better in First Impressions of Earth... XD
Reply
The Strokes Guild!

 
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games
//
//

// //

Have an account? Login Now!

//
//