Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Childfree Guild
Pre-pregnant forever?! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did that article make you want to puke?
  Yes (Female)
  No(Female)
  I'm a man, so I'm safe. (But that's still wrong.)
  I'm a man, and I'm not bothered.
View Results

The_Thread _Reaper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:41 am


I'm not sure if you've seen this before, but this article may make you want to pull out your hair and scream at something.

Pre-pregnant article.
Even though I think staying healthy is a good thing, I do not believe that forcing only women to do it just because they could have a baby is a good idea either.

They say that women should be forced into taking care of themselves for the health of a fetus that doesn't exist..but why aren't the childfree cut any slack? I think it's safe to assume that maybe a majority of childfree women would abort if they fell pregnant, so why should this plan extend to them? What's the point in taking folic acid supplements and staying away from lead paint if the fetus that may accidentally come along is just going to be aborted anyway?

I'm taking good care of myself because I want to, not because the goverment slapped a "baby-making machine" sticker on my forehead.

Does this sicken anyone else? Feel free to throw a tantrum, I know I had to. sweatdrop
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:41 pm


I
am kind of torn..... the article said that they should raise womens awareness not force them. And in the case that the person wants to reproduce I think it would be a good idea.... whee keep in mind I am not against other people reproducing.... In the end it is something that you would have to choose to do... besides in general the female would be healther.... and healther = live longer childfree life... if that is what you want.... xp I don't know... like I said I am torn.... it is sad that this article had to come out pretaining to pregnancy and not female health in general.

XenoReiji
Vice Captain


S. Shark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:03 pm


That article did piss me off, but it's been floating around so long that now I'm just like, "Dude. ******** 'em."

If the advice was framed differently, it'd be fine. It's fine to tell women, "If you plan to get knocked up, you should probably stop smoking first, 'kay?" It isn't framed that way, though. It is framed as, "Fertile women always have a small chance of getting pregnant. If a fertile woman is pregnant, she could have a kid. Therefore, she will have a kid. Since she will have a kid, she should prepare for a kid. If she will not prepare for the kid, she should be harassed into doing so."

Essentially.

Not saying I agree with the logic, not at all, just what it says. The article, I mean, not the CDC report which isn't quite as bad. So, what do I say to this waste of pixels?

If I'm pre-pregnant, I'm also pre-abortion.

I didn't come up with that line. Read it on some childfree lj comm.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:05 am


XenoReiji
I
am kind of torn..... the article said that they should raise womens awareness not force them. And in the case that the person wants to reproduce I think it would be a good idea.... whee keep in mind I am not against other people reproducing.... In the end it is something that you would have to choose to do... besides in general the female would be healther.... and healther = live longer childfree life... if that is what you want.... xp I don't know... like I said I am torn.... it is sad that this article had to come out pretaining to pregnancy and not female health in general.


In retrospect, I know it looks like they're asking..but there were some lines that made it look like they wanted it to be forced.
Quote:

New federal guidelines ask all females capable of conceiving a baby to treat themselves -- and to be treated by the health care system -- as pre-pregnant, regardless of whether they plan to get pregnant anytime soon.

Among other things, this means all women between first menstrual period and menopause should take folic acid supplements, refrain from smoking, maintain a healthy weight and keep chronic conditions such as asthma and diabetes under control.


Quote:
Preconception care should be delivered by any doctor a patient sees -- from her primary care physician to her gynecologist. It involves developing a "reproductive health plan" that details if and when children are planned, said Janis Biermann, a report co-author and vice president for education and health promotion at the March of Dimes.


I really don't want every doctor visit of mine in the future to end up in a wrestling match over some pills. The whole thing about the folic acid supplements is what really irks me. I started my first period at 10...and had this "pre-pregnant" idea been around back then, I as a ten year old would be having pills shoved down my throat by the health care system, just because I just entered into the title of "baby machine."A ten year old doesn't need to be worrying about that.
Quote:


"We know that women -- unless you're actively planning [a pregnancy], . . . she doesn't want to talk about it," Biermann said. So clinicians must find a "way to do this and not scare women," by promoting preconception care as part of standard women's health care, she said.


These bastards are trying to be sneaky about it..they want it to be forced but they know a lot of women would be scared if they did (and they probably should be).They want to pass it off as something normal so they can control women without a rebellion. I don't even like the mere thought of the government trying to control my life and my health.

Just...ick..

The_Thread _Reaper


bluecherry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:14 am


This article made me want to scream and puke at the same time. scream
It says all women are "pre-pregnant" unless they're too young or old to physicly have kids, and to be treated as such, no matter if they will have kids or not. As has been mentioned, when it comes to accidental preganancies- abortion is still legal you know? and yeah, that WAS one of the things that pissed me off the most- that they're trying to be sneaky and slip it in with every doctor you go to. They intend to FORCE it on you. Option is gone, they're treating you as if you WILL have children, like you MUST no matter what. They've decided we no longer have the right to our own bodies. This is a step towards both anti-abortion and anti-smoking laws for the whole country I think (notice for the sake of the others no smoking for all women in the age range is conviently in there. A true risk or not, it's still all too convienient)...The first step is establish people do not have a right to their own lives and bodies for the sake of others who may not even exist. It's the same logic that's going to get BOTH things added to the list of constitutional forbiddens. And really, those things are just the entry wedge for more to come if they succeed.

by zee way, I do not smoke, never would since I can't stand the smell, I just think whoever wants to has the right to do so.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:38 am


Gotcha. So when I'm old enough, I'll get me tubes tied and flip off my doctor if he says anything remotely related to this. And probably incorporate a couple drinks into my daily routine.

For now, I'll continue living off of ramen and HoHos.

What? Creating a hostile environment for the little ******** is very important! xd

Note: I actually try to eat healthy, but whatever.

Indigo Dagger


XenoReiji
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:40 am


The_Thread _Reaper
XenoReiji
I
am kind of torn..... the article said that they should raise womens awareness not force them. And in the case that the person wants to reproduce I think it would be a good idea.... whee keep in mind I am not against other people reproducing.... In the end it is something that you would have to choose to do... besides in general the female would be healther.... and healther = live longer childfree life... if that is what you want.... xp I don't know... like I said I am torn.... it is sad that this article had to come out pretaining to pregnancy and not female health in general.


In retrospect, I know it looks like they're asking..but there were some lines that made it look like they wanted it to be forced.
Quote:

New federal guidelines ask all females capable of conceiving a baby to treat themselves -- and to be treated by the health care system -- as pre-pregnant, regardless of whether they plan to get pregnant anytime soon.

Among other things, this means all women between first menstrual period and menopause should take folic acid supplements, refrain from smoking, maintain a healthy weight and keep chronic conditions such as asthma and diabetes under control.


Quote:
Preconception care should be delivered by any doctor a patient sees -- from her primary care physician to her gynecologist. It involves developing a "reproductive health plan" that details if and when children are planned, said Janis Biermann, a report co-author and vice president for education and health promotion at the March of Dimes.


I really don't want every doctor visit of mine in the future to end up in a wrestling match over some pills. The whole thing about the folic acid supplements is what really irks me. I started my first period at 10...and had this "pre-pregnant" idea been around back then, I as a ten year old would be having pills shoved down my throat by the health care system, just because I just entered into the title of "baby machine."A ten year old doesn't need to be worrying about that.
Quote:


"We know that women -- unless you're actively planning [a pregnancy], . . . she doesn't want to talk about it," Biermann said. So clinicians must find a "way to do this and not scare women," by promoting preconception care as part of standard women's health care, she said.


These bastards are trying to be sneaky about it..they want it to be forced but they know a lot of women would be scared if they did (and they probably should be).They want to pass it off as something normal so they can control women without a rebellion. I don't even like the mere thought of the government trying to control my life and my health.

Just...ick..
I see your point... it is a little sad... but the government can only mandate so much and enforce so much.

But I am still torn... I am all for more healthy people... but it does piss me off how sneaky the government is being. But you are older now so just stop listening.... maybe the government is also tired of taking care of retarded babys... I don't know... it does piss me off some that women are looked at like that... I believe women offer more to soceity then society gives them credit for. And women often times... uhhh never mind... that is a WHOLE other debate...

I think their intentions are good... mainly because most kids do not know if they want kids themselves when the whole process starts in them. So I think a few extra precautions to help those who might want kids is not a bad thing. Because all you have to do is stop listening when you decide you don't want kids.

I don't know... I am a guy after all and it really does not affect me, this decision. So I am not sure what value my voice has... sweatdrop not to make you guys feel bad of course I was never forced to do anything... so I cannot relate. But I do have a question: if this were presented not as pre-pregnant but just as female health in general... what would you say?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:12 pm


Lol, if only a nurse would ask me "Do you smoke, and do you plan to become pregnant in the next year? And if not, what birth control are you using?" I wonder what their face would be like when a person said "homosexuality" rofl

It did disgust me how it just wanted to force breeder ideals on every woman. Yes, it's good to educate everyone about proper healthcare, but not for the sake of children she may or may not have. Instead of making us all into baby machines they should be encouraging better health on EVERYONE.

But seriously is educating people about better prepregnancy healt giong to do anything? Nope. Because we must always remember "people are stupid". For years people have been told "smoking is bad" "eat healthy" but people are still smoking and the obesity rate is even higher.

Soppon
Crew

Hilarious Flatterer


Azer Fireangel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:30 am


That's taking a huge step backwards in the fight for sex equalitly. As my love told his aunt and grandma when they asked why we don't have any children after being together for 5 years... "She's not a giant walking baby machine like all the other women around here." (he's got a zillion female relatives, and most of them didn't even make 18 before starting to pop the little buggers out.) Wheres a little puking emoticon when you need one? burning_eyes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:23 pm


New federal guidelines ask all females capable of conceiving a baby to treat themselves -- and to be treated by the health care system -- as pre-pregnant, regardless of whether they plan to get pregnant anytime soon.

Among other things, this means all women between first menstrual period and menopause should take folic acid supplements, refrain from smoking, maintain a healthy weight and keep chronic conditions such as asthma and diabetes under control.

I don't know if I'm a typical female, but when I first started my period, I had more than enough things to worry about without having people harp on me about taking vitamins for a kid I 'might' have in ten or twenty years. My family is controling enough without having to have to tell me to watch what I eat, take my pre-natal vitamins, watch my weight, and million other things. Besides which, I went to school with some pretty guillable girls, and if they had to do all the pre-pregnancy planning, then they would probably go out and get pregnant because they figured that it was a good time.

I agree that it is good to be healthy, simply for the sake of oneself, and I am a very healthy person, however trying to tell a woman that she has to be healthy in order to have babies is pretty breeder-rific. I know too many woman who have babies and they are completely stoned all the time, and were that way during their pregnancies and the babies came out fine...somehow.

OliviaOblivia


XenoReiji
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:38 pm


Soppon
Lol, if only a nurse would ask me "Do you smoke, and do you plan to become pregnant in the next year? And if not, what birth control are you using?" I wonder what their face would be like when a person said "homosexuality" rofl

It did disgust me how it just wanted to force breeder ideals on every woman. Yes, it's good to educate everyone about proper healthcare, but not for the sake of children she may or may not have. Instead of making us all into baby machines they should be encouraging better health on EVERYONE.

But seriously is educating people about better prepregnancy healt giong to do anything? Nope. Because we must always remember "people are stupid". For years people have been told "smoking is bad" "eat healthy" but people are still smoking and the obesity rate is even higher.
Yeah I bet the reaction would be priceless... or even better "What is your choosen method of Birth Control?" "Removed (insert reproductive organs here)" rofl rofl

I still think that people should try to educate people about health. We should not stop trying.... because healthier people are easier on the eyes no? And no one will feel sorry for those sob story about how they cannot control their weight... ~stabs A.E.~ I mean we can give everyone a general overveiw but when it comes down to it. Males and Females have different needs to attain specific health.....


Azer Fireangel
That's taking a huge step backwards in the fight for sex equalitly. As my love told his aunt and grandma when they asked why we don't have any children after being together for 5 years... "She's not a giant walking baby machine like all the other women around here." (he's got a zillion female relatives, and most of them didn't even make 18 before starting to pop the little buggers out.) Wheres a little puking emoticon when you need one? burning_eyes
HA that is great... not a baby factory... I bet that hit a nerve.....

Sex equality really only applies to issues that both sexes can be a part of... I cannot be a part of your physical health... in fact the whole idea does not affect me... in any physical way. But what can I do...... be an angry voice?

Society needs to see people first not Males and Females... then people...


Brain flash.. ummm question wouldn't the notion of doing health specific things for pregnancy scare most young women who do not want kids... at the current moment in time? Thus making them do the unhealthy stuff just to ensure infertility?... Just a thought
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:35 pm


The_Thread _Reaper

They say that women should be forced into taking care of themselves for the health of a fetus that doesn't exist..but why aren't the childfree cut any slack?


Duh, you silly goose. Dontcha know, we childfree folks are going to eventually reneg our CF status and have babies, 'cuz we'll eventually get over the need to feel free and independent and want some future progeny to care for us when we are old and senile (someone actually said that to me when I told her I didn't want kids ever.)

234518


The_Thread _Reaper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:56 am


Luna Eclipse
The_Thread _Reaper

They say that women should be forced into taking care of themselves for the health of a fetus that doesn't exist..but why aren't the childfree cut any slack?


Duh, you silly goose. Dontcha know, we childfree folks are going to eventually reneg our CF status and have babies, 'cuz we'll eventually get over the need to feel free and independent and want some future progeny to care for us when we are old and senile (someone actually said that to me when I told her I didn't want kids ever.)


I'm so silly!! blaugh

*resigns her right to be a happy individual* emo

Oh I can see it now!!

"Days after the new government health plan was released, national emo and suicide rates SKYROCKETED! So much for being healthy, back to you, Tim." rofl
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:45 pm


*Shudders* By that "reasoning," you may as well say that we're all "pre-dead." If half of all pregnancies are unplanned, I'm sure at least that many deaths are, and let's face it, everyone here is a LOT more likely to become dead at some point in their lives than they are to become pregnant. So why don't we just start spending all our pre-death time preparing ourselves to be ready in the event of death?

talk2hand

dorian greybeard


bluecherry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:57 pm


The_Thread _Reaper
Luna Eclipse
The_Thread _Reaper

They say that women should be forced into taking care of themselves for the health of a fetus that doesn't exist..but why aren't the childfree cut any slack?


Duh, you silly goose. Dontcha know, we childfree folks are going to eventually reneg our CF status and have babies, 'cuz we'll eventually get over the need to feel free and independent and want some future progeny to care for us when we are old and senile (someone actually said that to me when I told her I didn't want kids ever.)


I'm so silly!! blaugh

*resigns her right to be a happy individual* emo

Oh I can see it now!!

"Days after the new government health plan was released, national emo and suicide rates SKYROCKETED! So much for being healthy, back to you, Tim." rofl

rofl If that didn't need so much text to make sense, I'd quote that in my signature.
Prepregnant=predead for a CFer indeed. *nods sagely*
Reply
The Childfree Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]
 
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games
//
//

// //

Have an account? Login Now!

//
//