|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:20 pm
Ah, entertainment. Movies, especially. It can be hard to find childfree-style movies in any culture, so let's share and give each other some resources and warnings.
Know any movies that espouse childfree values? Post 'em! Give a short review!
Know any movies that make your childfree side curl up and cry? Name 'em! Tell us about the scariness! (Sharing makes it better, promise.)
Debate and guess about upcoming movies. Disagree (politely) about what others have posted!
I'll go first. wink
Un-CF Movie Movie: "Junior" Squick factor: Huge Actors/Directors/etc: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Danny Devito
Why's it suck? It's breederific! The plot has unscrupulous scientists trying to create wonder drugs, and rather than submit to FDA approval and do things legally, Schwarzenegger's character ends up getting a child embedded in his stomach. Even without a uterus. Not that he'd want one.
He doesn't want it in there and begs Devito's character to get it out. Devito refuses and they have to cover things up. Schwarzenegger starts getting romantically involved with a female character (gotta have that heterosexuality, yo) and wants to keep the child. Keeps it alive with medical magic and starts getting a bit effeminate, even checking into a sort of resort for pregnant women in drag to keep the other scientists from knowing until he finally gives birth. He marries the love interest and she has a child nine months later.
Yay, breeder values! Better to make a man into a walking baby factory than talk seriously about the ethics of abortion.
Gag me with a stick. I'm a huge Schwarzenegger fan, but this was even worse than "The Sixth Day."
Disagree with me? Talk it out! Sympathetic? Voice it!
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:27 am
Ewwww.... I heard of that movie it looked gross.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:59 pm
yeah, agreed. I heard of it and it makes me nautious. Some other movies that tick me off for being breederific- first, I forget the name of it, it has Adam Sandler, where somebody just drops this little boy off on his door step, and says pretty much "I'm sick of the kid, I can't take it. You take him, he's your son too." Well, you see, the worst part of this movie is how well it starts off- the mom sees she doesn't like raising the kid, Adam Sandler's character doesn't want the kid either, he's not intrested in parenting, says many times how he doesn't want to be a parents and likes his life as it is, the kid is just a pain in the butt and he recognizes this, the kid whines and is irrational and gets in the way and wets the bed (and he's got to be past potty training age), he's even at a party at one point where he was in a low prestige job working a toll booth, but happy about it for the time being and though all his friends at the party had lawyer jobs, he'd gone to law school too and was the smartest out of all of them, but just not intrested in going into that job presently, and he even wasn't willing to get married to the girl he was dating even though he liked her just because it's what everybody else around was doing it and trying to force him into it too, and he called the child agency people to tell them he wasn't going to keep the kid, so since neither parent wanted him and he wasn't going to be guilted into keeping the kid, he'd go to foster parents I guess- BUT THEN OFCOURSE it's a friday I think, the people are done work for the weekend, or a holiday or whatever, so he has to keep the kid with him until the child agency people go back to work, and ofcourse, that's how the movie turns it around so the kid wares him down slowly with his "kewtness" until Adam Sandler's character decideds he will keep the kid after all. stressed
Second, as long as I've brought up Adam Sandler movies, the new one click- I haven't seen it, but it's got breeder written all over it. The trailer for the movie says he doesn't have time for work and his kid(s?) and his wifey starts whining to him that he's not there for the kid(s?) enough. So, what's the conclusion they come to? No, not that kids were a bad idea for their life style, instead, they must trump the laws of physics with that "universal remote control" of his the movie is based around. It even irritates me on the part of the comercial that shows his kid playing catch with another kid, and the other kid says something about "your kid sucks at it" so he fixes it so the other kid gets hit. first, so what if the kid is bad? there is more to a little boys life then being good at catch, and second, it was a fact, the kid did suck. Don't hurt the other kid for telling the truth.
Oh, and here's another one of my all time least favorites- I absolutely abhore It's A Wonderful Life for many many good reasons, always have, never got why people loved it, can't stand how my mom loves it and now has the DVD and still doesn't get it no matter how many times I tell her I hate it. Specificly on the childfree aspect of it- notice how badly kids screwed up that guys life? HORRABLY. George Bailey had a crap life as it was, and now kids made it THAT much worse. The guy had a good enough relationship to begin with, kids slughtered that. The guy was dirt poor and they just kept having MORE and MORE kids, I'm not sure, but at one point that may have even been an answer they decided upon for one of their problems, have another kid. I think george may have gotten frustrated at having so many kids at one point as it was and that his wife may have been pregnant again, but the entire world it seemed jumped upon him for it until he shut up and forced himself to like it again. This guy was dirt poor, unable to support them all, working like crazy to afford to keep them off the streets, and the wife and kids are complaining that he's never home to see them. I think George may even at one point have implied something about not wanting to go home. But ofcourse, like I said, people tell George to suck it up and deal and that he should love it. Worst of all, George gives in to it and tries to delude himself into it.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:28 pm
Ye gods, where to begin? gonk Well, first off, I haven't seen most of the movies I'm about to list; I've avoided them like the plague.
Cheaper by the Dozen ...do I even need to say why this makes my skin crawl? I guess I could start off with the fact that with very few exceptions, children simply are not good actors! They aren't funny. They aren't "charming." They're annoying, pretentious little monsters who can barely seem to remember their lines. Now take that fact, and shove a dozen of them into one film, and somehow try to twist things so that a family with that many children could ever be anything close to "happy" or "content." Just....no.
And they made a ******** SEQUEL! gonk
Baby Geniuses Whoever thought this up, (not to mention the second movie), needs to be dragged out into the street and fired upon in the genitals with a sawed-off shotgun. Preferrably by me. Babies do NOT have a secret language. They are NOT incredibly smart. Most can't manage to do more than scream and s**t themselves for a good three years straight, prior to learning anything else. Has there EVER been a talking baby movie that was anything but godawful? And on that note:
Look Who's Talking et al I guess I could stretch the question and ask if there's ever been a John Travolta movie that was anything but godawful too, but I digress. I actually saw this one when I was little, and I still remember how horrible it was. An hour and a half of talking baby and John Travolta. I think Roseanne did the voice of the girl baby in the 2nd one...and the IMDB agrees. How much more of a reason do you need to hate these "films"? neutral
And now for one that's actually sorta worth watching:
Hideous! In short: a bunch of poorly-animated, evil, mutant fetuses start killing people in one of the most ludicrous b-movies I've ever seen. The acting is horrible, the characters are more wooden than the scenery, but holy crap is it funny, if you like horribly cheesy movies! whee
More as I think of them.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:42 am
bluecherry- Big Daddy is the name, I think. Soulwreckage- B-but I liked Baby Geniuses... sure, everyone knows babies aren't that smart, but it was funny. gonk
Anyway, this isn't a movie (well, maybe it is, but I'm not talking about the movie), but Desperate Housewives is birthcontrol, I swear. It's breedy and anti-breedy. You have the Eva Longoria character who hates children (but then ends up with them because her husband SUCKS), then there's Bree's hellspawn. Children pretty much all lead to bad things in that show. xd
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:17 pm
oh yeah, that's the name........ I saw cheaper by the dozen unfortunately. Didn't want to, but yeah, it DID suck lots, and true, I know no good talking baby movies. They're all pretty bad. That last does sound funny though xd As for desperate housewives, my mom watches that, I was mad when I heard Eva's character caved and decided to have a kid after how much they clearly wrecked everybody around her's lives. Especialy the one buisness lady, and remember this whole show is based around what a horrable mess resulted from one lady having a kid she couldn't take care of, giving it to these other people who couldn't have kids for cash, then she decided she wanted the kid back, the people who paid for the kid killed her, it resulted in the lady who paid for the kid being dead too, plus the kid in question becomes a total psycho essentialy , holds a gun to somebody's head as a hostage at some point and kind of stalks the one lady's daughter.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|