Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Dragonball Z
Uncut...not uncut at all. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MikoBura
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:52 am


Quote:
The Dragon Ball Z Case

In one of the latest cases, fans of Funimation's Dragon Ball Z (DBZ) series have been talking about the producer's definition of "Uncut" in forums and websites all over the Net.

Fans who've seen the original Japanese version complain that the dialogue in the "Uncut" versions is not a true translation of the series, but instead the language has been downgraded and replaced with modern day slang. Other fans have complained that some of DBZ's more bloody scenes have ended up on the cutting room floor. So if the show has been edited, then why is Funimation calling their DBZ uncut?

When I spoke with Funimation on this subject, I was informed that the company has levels of "Uncut". For instance, when the company first receives their material for DBZ, they immediately go to work to trimming the content to make the show fall under the guidelines for PG-13. Funimation stated that very little actual cutting is done to accomplish this stage, but that there is some. Next, they translate the script and "Americanize" the dialog to appeal to US audiences (and this is just for the subtitled version!). After Funimation finally dubs the show, they call this their "Uncut" version.

Of course we're not done quite yet. To make the show even more family friendly, and allow it to be shown on Cartoon Network's Toonami Block, they make further changes.

Now for most fans, the end result is still really cool. However, many fans (after all fan is actually short for fanatic!) want to see every little scrap there ever was of the show and are disappointed with the end results.


Click here for the full story

I kinda hate it that the USA is so...PG13. Here in the Netherlands we have a anime called Crayon Shin Chan, about a kid who always uses bad words and dances nude. o.o; But still we got the butchered DBZ. And when you buy the DVD, you'll buy it for uncut of course. Which isn't so uncut after all.

What are your opionions about this?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:09 am


gonk Sucks!!

Saiyajin-Neko

Magnetic Phantom

9,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

PROJECT NOVA

3,400 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:05 pm


Man that sucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:05 pm


I Hate it. They should have there PG-13 version if they want but they need to keep all the parts of the show this is why funimation sucks.

My Ch3m1cal R0manc3


SYFFER
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:35 pm


It's a shame neutral
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:47 am


thats bad... sad

natzorz


MikoBura
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:15 am


FUNi also releases the 'uncut' Saiyajin saga in April on DVD. And of course, the butchered movie 10.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:23 pm


Unfortunately it's not so much FUNi as it is just the way America is. Parents feel like they have to shelter their children, and they'll buy a cartoon cause it looks harmless, see people beating each other up, freak out cause it's warping the mind of their "poor innocent" child and sue the company that released it. Sadly that's how the U.S. works. Don't they realize that even without all the sex and violence on TV and in cartoons, we're still the most screwed up developed country! (I say we because I'm an American). So that's my rant, I understand that most the people in this guild are from outside the US and I apoligize that you have to get the editions that the Americans have altered.

But yeah! Movie 10 is coming out in April! At least I can still watch it in the original Japanese.

Trunks Chic


MikoBura
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:07 pm


Trunks Chic
Unfortunately it's not so much FUNi as it is just the way America is. Parents feel like they have to shelter their children, and they'll buy a cartoon cause it looks harmless, see people beating each other up, freak out cause it's warping the mind of their "poor innocent" child and sue the company that released it. Sadly that's how the U.S. works. Don't they realize that even without all the sex and violence on TV and in cartoons, we're still the most screwed up developed country! (I say we because I'm an American). So that's my rant, I understand that most the people in this guild are from outside the US and I apoligize that you have to get the editions that the Americans have altered.

But yeah! Movie 10 is coming out in April! At least I can still watch it in the original Japanese.


Ah well, the Netherlands has it's flaws too, you know. And we can always blame Bush for everything we don't like. And yeah, I really recommend everyone to watch the japanse DBZ, or read the amazing manga (which I think is even better than the anime).
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:37 pm


MikoBura
Trunks Chic
Unfortunately it's not so much FUNi as it is just the way America is. Parents feel like they have to shelter their children, and they'll buy a cartoon cause it looks harmless, see people beating each other up, freak out cause it's warping the mind of their "poor innocent" child and sue the company that released it. Sadly that's how the U.S. works. Don't they realize that even without all the sex and violence on TV and in cartoons, we're still the most screwed up developed country! (I say we because I'm an American). So that's my rant, I understand that most the people in this guild are from outside the US and I apoligize that you have to get the editions that the Americans have altered.

But yeah! Movie 10 is coming out in April! At least I can still watch it in the original Japanese.


Ah well, the Netherlands has it's flaws too, you know. And we can always blame Bush for everything we don't like. And yeah, I really recommend everyone to watch the japanse DBZ, or read the amazing manga (which I think is even better than the anime).


Especially the Dragonball manga, that's hilarious!

Trunks Chic


Despondent Dream

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:59 pm


SYFFER
It's a shame neutral

You said it... sad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:43 pm


That sucks realy bad but it was butchered when it got to truro nova scotia canada too so we are kind of in the same bout.

bourcier700


MikoBura
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:17 am


Trunks Chic
MikoBura
Trunks Chic
Unfortunately it's not so much FUNi as it is just the way America is. Parents feel like they have to shelter their children, and they'll buy a cartoon cause it looks harmless, see people beating each other up, freak out cause it's warping the mind of their "poor innocent" child and sue the company that released it. Sadly that's how the U.S. works. Don't they realize that even without all the sex and violence on TV and in cartoons, we're still the most screwed up developed country! (I say we because I'm an American). So that's my rant, I understand that most the people in this guild are from outside the US and I apoligize that you have to get the editions that the Americans have altered.

But yeah! Movie 10 is coming out in April! At least I can still watch it in the original Japanese.


Ah well, the Netherlands has it's flaws too, you know. And we can always blame Bush for everything we don't like. And yeah, I really recommend everyone to watch the japanse DBZ, or read the amazing manga (which I think is even better than the anime).


Especially the Dragonball manga, that's hilarious!


DB/Z are one ^^ Only the animes are seperated ^^
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:52 am


That sucks.

Torinreigad


Golden_Harajuku

Original Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:17 pm


i just hate dubbed up stuf it makes the anime especially DBZ look lame. i think funimation does the worse job ever!
Reply
Dragonball Z

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]
 
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games
//
//

// //

Have an account? Login Now!

//
//