Welcome to Gaia! ::

A Crafter's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place to showcase your creations, get inspiration, ask and/or answer questions, and just have fun! 

Tags: Crafting, Beading, Drawing, Jewelry, Photography 

Reply Crafting Pics
Jeevas' Bead Weaving Adventure!(Updated Feb. 17, 2012)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

If we are the stuff that dreams are made on,
  then we don't make any sense at all.
  then we must surely be nightmares.
  and our little life, is rounded with a sleep.
  we're extraordinary.
  we are surely an illusion.
  I'm totally getting gold for this right?
View Results


Weekend Cleo


Haunting Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:45 pm


-- Ѻ A Thread for My Beading Progress Ѻ --

This is where I'll be keeping track or my projects and plans for projects, as well as things that I learn or questions that I have that have been answered. You know, all the basic stuff. I tend to bite off a little more than I can chew plunging into new projects and things all the time so there will probably be a lot of updates where I'm explaining what I had to figure out. xD

For the sake of space I'll also be uploading whatever else other crafts I've bothered to create, i.e. shoes or watercolor paintings. I should have another finished pair of shoes soon since I got a new pair for Christmas. ^^
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:48 pm


-- Ѻ FAQS and Guides Ѻ --

I know there's already a section for this in the forum, but I thought I'd save the ones I use the most here. ^^



Loom Beading Video
Off Loom Flat Beading

Ball and Loop
Basic Clasp

Cuff Bracelets


Weekend Cleo


Haunting Gaian



Weekend Cleo


Haunting Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:50 pm


-- Ѻ Projects! Ѻ --

Quote:
I've started the barrette and I've decided to embroider the beads onto a piece of denim. First time I've ever done this so I hope it turns out well. ^^ Project plans for the finished product have been added.


Project Plans:
·Alex's Bracelet Here
·Grayson's Bracelet Here I finished it and she loved it! I had to do it so quickly, however, that I wasn't able to take a photo. Literally. Sorry guys. xD
·Sacred Hoop(Medicine Wheel) Barrette Here


Finished...things! 8D
·Daft Punk Converse here and here and here.
These are a very old pair of shoes I decorated years ago. It was pretty much the first time I added anything to my Converse and I've been doing it ever since. I made some Daft Punk stencils and went over them on the shoe in paint pen, then took out the laces and replaced them with computer wire that was laying around. I think it was from an old printer. If you'll notice there's a bunch of silvery shapes behind the Daft Punk stencils which wasn't really apparent in person but shows up very well on camera. I'd taken a silver paint pen to my shoes previous to this and then did my best to remove it. All traces of it were gone within a week or so of wearing the shoes all the time. You'll also notice the circles around the eyelets are somewhat scruffy. Well, scruffiness is pretty much part of my personality and I haven't yet mastered the art of polished work. Even today. xD

· A Favorite Photo of Mine Here.
I took this on the train back in junior year of highschool. He's just so emotive, I just had to get a picture. I'm still pretty proud of it.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:14 pm


Reserved for whatever. xD Anyone is now free to post, ask questions, etc!


Weekend Cleo


Haunting Gaian



Weekend Cleo


Haunting Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:11 pm


And here's an extra reserved just because. Maybe I'll make an advanced FAQ later if anyone wants one. ^^
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:25 pm


As the project section says, guys, I've decided to try and make myself a beaded hair tie of some kind. I don't have the exact type in mind yet, only a general concept of what the beading is going to be like. I want it to be circular with the Hopi "medicine wheel" or sacred hoop motif on it, with the red, yellow, black, and white sections on it and everything. A medium size, maybe a little big for a hairband, but I want it to be on the large size since I'll be using it to cover the bottom portion of a new type of braid in my hair I really like. From what I can tell because of how my hair is cut the unbraided "tail" is going to be sort of long, so I want to sort of cover it up.

Anyway, an example picture is this one:
Beaded Hair Ties

I found them off of this site here.

Yes, those are some gorgeous hair ties. "If I like them so much why don't I buy them?" I've asked myself that question several times. You know, I love Native American style, and I'd LOVE to support the Native artisans who make those hair ties. However, I don't have seventy dollars to spend on barrettes. Point blank. That's a lot of money for something so trivial, especially if I could make it myself which would add a lot more personal value to the piece anyway. However, there's nothing to stop other people from buying from this seller if they want a pair and have the money, so I don't feel terribly awful about it since I won't be selling my stuff, and therefore lowering the price of the market. I'm not going to sell my pieces unless they're my own work and not designed after something Native American, because that would be disrespectful, albeit a pretty damn good way to make money by the looks of it. Basically, I'm not a Native, and therefore it's not my right to try and get into their fashion, culture, and market, both in terms of legal rights and just plain otherwise.

So, I feel a little guilty for making my own seeing as it's clearly a niche of someone out there and that's how they earn their money. Lord knows if there's one thing the reservations need more of it's certainly money. And water systems. But as long as I don't sell them, I think I'm okay. I only give this kind of stuff out to the closest of friends anyway. All this being said let's be clear, I AM NOT saying people shouldn't sell their crafts, and if I've somehow come across as saying that, I am so sorry. xD Making stuff yourself and selling it is wonderful, I wish everyone who does only the best! But because I am not Native it would be dishonest of me to try and sell Native styled things. It's a predicament that doesn't crop up in too many sections of fashion or the market, but does sometimes. I mean, if you saw a white guy making turquoise rings that were clearly knockoffs of actual Native rings and selling them at the same price, PURELY as a fashion statement and to make some money, wouldn't that be wrong? There's a good amount of culture that goes with these things and though I understand that significance before I make it and respect it, I don't consider myself connected to their culture in any significant way and therefore cannot sell items fashioned after theirs. I can wear them because they have great meaning to me personally, but I will not sell them to anyone else. It's not my right.

Long winded post is long, but anyway....now I just have to figure out how to make these things. I think I'll weave the pattern like I was planning to, and then sew it onto a thickish fabric. Not leather, I don't have any treated leather thin enough to sew through without some special tools which I also don't own, not to mention leather doesn't hold up well under moisture. I think if I used it as a hair product and put it in when I had wet hair, or got caught in the rain which I frequently do, it would mold easily. So...I'll figure something out. Tally ho, and all that. xD


Weekend Cleo


Haunting Gaian


Emm-Kaye
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:14 pm


This Devil Wears Converse
....now I just have to figure out how to make these things. I think I'll weave the pattern like I was planning to, and then sew it onto a thickish fabric.

You might try using needlepoint fabric (Aida). It works well with beading, and holds up pretty well under moisture (not if getting wet daily, of course), but it is a firm weave that dries quickly, and tends to hold its shape.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:50 pm


Emm-Kaye

You might try using needlepoint fabric (Aida). It works well with beading, and holds up pretty well under moisture (not if getting wet daily, of course), but it is a firm weave that dries quickly, and tends to hold its shape.
Ah, I know the type of fabric you're talking about! I never knew it had such a nice name.

Thanks so much for all your tips, Emm. You know so much about this stuff. ^^

Do you think, though, that I could get away with instead embroidering the beads onto a piece of old tee shirt instead? I don't buy fabric too often and I prefer to use things laying around if I can. I'm not really sure if it's a great idea though, because it's cotton, and I'm not sure if it'll stretch or something. I'm not worried about fraying because I'll be tucking it all under anyway.


Weekend Cleo


Haunting Gaian


Emm-Kaye
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:21 pm


This Devil Wears Converse
Emm-Kaye

You might try using needlepoint fabric (Aida). It works well with beading, and holds up pretty well under moisture (not if getting wet daily, of course), but it is a firm weave that dries quickly, and tends to hold its shape.
Ah, I know the type of fabric you're talking about! I never knew it had such a nice name.

Thanks so much for all your tips, Emm. You know so much about this stuff. ^^

Do you think, though, that I could get away with instead embroidering the beads onto a piece of old tee shirt instead? I don't buy fabric too often and I prefer to use things laying around if I can. I'm not really sure if it's a great idea though, because it's cotton, and I'm not sure if it'll stretch or something. I'm not worried about fraying because I'll be tucking it all under anyway.

Leftover denim (blue jeans) pieces would work better than t-shirt material. T-shirts are too thin, and too stretchy to support the weight of beading well. If you don't have denim, use any thicker, non-stretchy fabric pieces you have. You want the fabric not to stretch, or the beading will sag (usually in places that you don't want it to!).
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:23 pm


Emm-Kaye

Leftover denim (blue jeans) pieces would work better than t-shirt material. T-shirts are too thin, and too stretchy to support the weight of beading well. If you don't have denim, use any thicker, non-stretchy fabric pieces you have. You want the fabric not to stretch, or the beading will sag (usually in places that you don't want it to!).
I do believe I have some of that left over. ^^

Thanks again. : )


Weekend Cleo


Haunting Gaian


Emm-Kaye
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:02 pm


This Devil Wears Converse
Emm-Kaye

Leftover denim (blue jeans) pieces would work better than t-shirt material. T-shirts are too thin, and too stretchy to support the weight of beading well. If you don't have denim, use any thicker, non-stretchy fabric pieces you have. You want the fabric not to stretch, or the beading will sag (usually in places that you don't want it to!).
I do believe I have some of that left over. ^^

Thanks again. : )

Glad I could help you!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:11 pm


I love that photograph of the man!

Those beaded hair ties are beautiful!
Now I want some.... emo
 

[Elisabeth]

Bucktoothed Streaker

Reply
Crafting Pics

 
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games
//
//

// //

Have an account? Login Now!

//
//