Welcome to Gaia! ::

Underdogs of Cosplay!

Back to Guilds

A Guild for the Inperfect Cosplayer 

Tags: cosplay, plus-sized, anime, convention, costume 

Reply Underdogs of Cosplay!
Who Should I Cosplay?! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Righteous_Ruin
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:12 pm


This is one of the biggest questions swimming around the gaia conventions chats. Picking out who to cosplay can be especially tricky for people who do not have those manly bodies or girlish features. However, I stand by a strong belief that anyone can cosplay, after all thats' the point of this place.

If you're having a hard time picking out a cosplay for yourself, feel free to post a picture and description here following this basic application...

Picture: (a picture of yourself either as an image or link that is fullbody preferably)
Description: (A short description of yourself inculding your height, eye color, hair color, age, and any special features like glasses or braces.)
Things you like: (anime, videogames, books or shows you enjoy)
Things you dislike: (anime, videogames, books, or shows you don't like.)
Things you are willing to do: (wear a wig, fake teeth, contacts, ect)
Things you aren't willing to do: (Wear a skimpy outfit, crossplay, ect)
Other: (maybe like an allergy to certain makeup, or you need glasses to see.)


Now, people, I know the first thinsg that happens in these threads. Everyone posts a billion pictures and someone always gets left out or posts their pictures 20 times...well to try and prevent this as much as possible here are a few rules.

1. You may only post your picture ONCE. We will get to it. Maybe not right away, but we will.

2. No one is left behind. If you see a picture, don't be afriad to give input on a character that you think would be suitable for the person.

3. If you don't like the input that was given to you, you may politely ask for other suggestions, but under no circumstances are you to be rude or beligerant.

4. People can give you as few as one suggestion or as many as they like within reason. Don't badger people for more suggestions if they do not wish to give you more.

5.Please fill out the appliocation in it's entirety when applying for ideas. It gives us a better idea of what to help you with. If you don't fill out the entire application, your application will be deleted until you fill it out again completely.

6. Please remeber to be respectful when giving out suggestions. Telling someone they would make a wonderful Jabba the Hutt is not polite.

7. The crew and me all have any rigths to change or add tot he rules as we see fit at any time.

Well guys, begin cosplay!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:26 pm


Haha, I've realized, going through my picture that I don't have many photos of myself that isn't in cosplay >w<

Picture: These are the best I have D': [x] I'm in the middle biggrin
Description: Lets seee, I'm about 5"7, I have green eyes, My hair is UBER curly is doesn't cooperate, my hair comes down to my neck and is brown, Oh! I wear glasses...
I'm also flat chested.
Things you like: I LOVE creepy/psychological/thriller/mess-up animes/games (Higurashi/Umineko are my favorites) I also love anything with really boss fight scenes (Mai-Hime is a good one), Samurais and things that have instruments in them (like the cello!)
Things you dislike: Romantic stuff (Vampire Night, Strawberry Panic..) Although, I do love Love Hina XD
Things you are willing to do: Wear a wig (I LOVE wigs >w<), light make-up, fake teeth, crossplay
Things you aren't willing to do: Skipmy clothing That can't be adjusted (Riku FFX-2), contacts, heavy make-up, lots of leather work, anthro/neko
Other: I have UBER big feet, so finding accurate shoes is difficult!


Thanks :'D

Losertastic124


Righteous_Ruin
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:51 pm


@Loser:

The good thing about liking horror and thrillers is that there is so much to work with. At you're size you're not so curvy or out of shape that too many good things are out of your range. Unfortunatly, some of the greatest costumes you could take advantage of would require you to bite the bullet and put on a little more make up than you would normally like. If you wanna be creepy, try some of these on for size...

Samara-The Ring
The Nurses-Silent Hill
Alice- Amerigan McGee's Alice
Ms. Lovette-Sweeney Todd

If you want to aim for a less creepy but still cool outfit, these are some good ones too...

Burini-Samurai Legend Musashi
May-Guilty Gear
Larxene- Kingdom Hearts

In my personal opinion, considering your likes and your looks, Ms. Lovette would be the best choice. It's flashy and impressive, creepy without a lot of make up, and due to the build in corsette it will slim your figure and give you just enough clevage, even if it's not muc, to make the whole look pull together, and since you hair is already very curly, it would only take some temp black or deep brown hairdye to really make the look a good 100%. So get to serving up those suspicious looking pies!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:56 am


Righteous:
-facedesk-
Why didn't I think of Ms. Lovette or Alice? D':

Samara would be fun too!
I haven't played/seen/read Guilty Gear, but that'd look like it would be a fun cosplay!

You're so good! Thank you >w<



Losertastic124


Righteous_Ruin
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:24 am


Glad you like the ideas, I hope they help, and I sure would like to see some progress shots later.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:49 am


Well I will be cosplaying for the first time at anime boston, so as of now I am setting up ideas on what I want to cosplay as, and of course I am running into blanks.

Picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/DarkOmega87/010.jpg
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6

Description:
I'm 5'8 and average weight ( Last time I check 175 pounds)
22 years old ( Can look a lot younger or if i leave my beard and mustache can look older too)
Pretty big boned, if I lost the weight I have a build of like a football player you know pretty big but not fat at all
Brown eyes and Black Hair
Puerto Rican/Native American/Italian/ Arabian

Things you like: (anime, videogames, books or shows you enjoy)
Now here are some anime I love,

Anime = Love Hina, Bleach, Pretear, Romeo x Juliet, Angelic Layer, Azumanga daiyoh, Darker Than Black, Speed grapher, Ghost in the shell anime series, Cowboy bebop, code geass, deathnote, girls bravo, ouran high host club, axis powers hetalia, trinity blood, chrono crusade, full metal alchemist, d grey man, moonphase, air tv, law of ueki, his and her circumstances, Pokemon, Digimon, and more

Now video games I played and loved

Video Games = Final fantasy series ( yes I played them and own most of them), Shadow Hearts series ( played and own all of them), Disgaea series ( Have played them all), Xenogears, Xenosaga series( own them all), Star Ocean series ( own them all), Kingdom Hearts series ( played and own them all), Ratchet and Clank series( own them all), Jak and Daxter series (played them all), Halo series( own them all), Gears of War series ( own them all), Crash bandicoot ( Own the whole series), Persona ( played the whole series), Saga frontier, metal Gear solid series (Played the whole series), Tekken series (own the series), Virtua Fighter series ( played the series), Blood roar series( own the series), Battle Toshiden( played the series), Call of duty series ( Played the whole series), The Tales series ( Tales of vesperia, Tales of symphonia, you know the Tales games), Pokemon series, and many more

Things you dislike: (anime, videogames, books, or shows you don't like.)
Nauro,Dragon Ball series, inuyasha, and I dont want to do deathnote or bleach even though I love the animes because EVERYONE does them.

Things you are willing to do: (wear a wig, fake teeth, contacts, ect)
Wearing wigs
Contact Lens( If needed)
Buy/Rent the game of anime series needed for the research
Shave ( all over if need to be too)

Things you aren't willing to do: (Wear a skimpy outfit, crossplay, ect)
Dye my hair ( why I am willing to do wigs)
Cuit my hair ( like I said why I am willing to do wigs)
Crossplay ( I like being a man thank you)
Fur suits ( Unless there is a cheap way of doing it cause I know those things go for alot of money)

Other: (maybe like an allergy to certain makeup, or you need glasses to see.)
Well Yes I do wear glasses but don't let that make your decision I can easily wear contacts or for photos take the glasses off, can be easily done, I also would like a fun character since I have a very fun, LOUD, personality

Outlandish Outsider


Righteous_Ruin
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:33 am


Your options aren't as limited as you think. This is all a matter of looking further into things. You aren't really Heavy, just broad, and your skin is tanned, But there are pleanty fo characters int he anime world that fit that description. You also have that nice rugged look that's really needed for a lot of characters. Here are some samples for yuo to choose...

Junpei-Those Who Hunt Elves
Dokugakuji-Saiyuki
Xigbar- Kingdom Hearts
Oki-Okami



Out of these I listed, I fele Oki from Okami would be wonderful for you. The costume allows for a mask, meaning you wouldn't have to shave your facial hair if you don't want to. The clothing it also loose and comfortable and easy to make. It's also recognizeable and yet not often done. And considerably speaking, Oki is a real badass in the game, second only to Ammy or Waka. Go ahead and check the game out to see what I mean.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:42 am


@Outlandish Outsider: I could see you as Goh from Pretear (if you let your hair grow out a bit or go for a wig). Favorite character of mine, btw, so I'm probably biased. XD If you're too self conscious to do his Knight form outfit (sexy middrift is sexy), I'd say go with the waiter (hint hint, wink wink) or casual wear. There are certainly not enough Leafe Knights in the cosplay world. XD

Sorry, that was my only suggestion just because I like plugging Pretear cosplays. My friend wants me to be Hayate when I finally get around to dying my wig. That way I have leverage to force her into being Himeno, because she has the personality for it, or the maid, because she has the look for it.

GundamIsGod

Irregular Gaian


DarkerLink

Profitable Bloodsucker

6,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:15 am


Hey! Trying to get more ideas for cosplays - so far I have done Blue and Dark Zelda and Malon from Legend of Zelda, Tomoyo from Tsubasa chronicles and a few other attrocious ones that I dont count!

I really think my style is long skirts (or at least knee length), and intricate designs especially on the constructions part of the costumes (armour, jewellery, headdresses) and I am running out of ideas of such cosplays, thus opening the floor to you guys.

The few I am looking into currently are Sheena from TofS (though really rethinking that one at the mo, and want to see if there are any other characters I could pull off from Tales of Symphonia) and Ko Shuurei from Tales of Saiunkoku (Though how I am going to do the hair/headdress I have no idea! I am not v good at styling wigs as you can see from Dark Zelda below.) Also want to do an original design peacock costume based loosely on Petshop of horrors. Let me know if you think any of those are a yes or a no (particularly Sheena)

Picture: Here are a few smile

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image < The reason I like more complicated cosplays - hides and disguises more!

Description: I'm... I dont even know how tall I am! Possibly shorter than average for a girl. Eyes change colour but mostly a murky greeny gray. My hair is ridiculously long (The hair in the Blue Zelda and Tomoyo? My real hair!) It comes down to my waist, and is a darkish brown. I'm 22, rather heavier than I would like and that is pretty much me!

Things you like: I like a lot of things, but special favs would be FF, KH Zelda, Star Ocean, Tales of Symphonia, Hikaru no Go, Kare Kano, Hana Kimi, Furuba, Petshop of horrors, Demon Diary and pretty much all Yaoi out there.

Things you dislike: No real dislikes.

Things you are willing to do: Wear a wig, contacts, spend hours on end on the cosplay, research if have not seen/heard of series.

Things you aren't willing to do: Very high heals, anything showing thigh, midrift and preferrably not upper arms, crossplay (as don't think I could bear that pain), cut my hair (no way in hell!)

Other: Um.... smile

Thanks everyone!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:11 am


Well you have all the skill, figure, and of course the like to make somethign Long and Intricate. Unfortunatly I have never played Tales of Symphonia, so I can't tell you whether those would be a good call or not, but I can suggest a rew things yuo may like from the hgames and animes I have played and I have watched...


Princess Emeraude-Magic Knights Rayearth
Lulu- Final Fantasy X
Yuna (Wedding Dress)- Final Fantasy X


Clamp is also famous for having several outfits of the sort your are looking into. It may be worthwhile to glance over certain animes and see if anythign strikes your fancy.

Righteous_Ruin
Captain


PixieTyrant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:43 am


DarkerLink-
Even though you said you didn't want to show leg (though I think you could alter it a tad), I'm still going to suggest Opera from Star Ocean 2. When I saw that you enjoy the series, that is who came into mind right way.X

Now since you have such a wonderful body fro dresses, and the skill, I am also recommending Caster from Fate/Stay Night. X X

Hmm.

Now keeping your natural hair in mind.

Belldandy from Ah! My Goddess. X (Which I think would be great for you. Plus the extra of possibly making wings. ^_^)

Charlotte from Vampire Hunter D. XXX (Though it may be less recognizable...unless you have a D with you.)

Belgemine from Final Fantasy X.X It also give way to friends who would like to accompany you as a summon.

OH OH! Sophia from Last Exile in her royal outfit...Not really any pics of her in it, X and here is a cosplay showing it X, but I recommend watching it because it is definitely an outfit that I think you would like, and it is a really great anime to boot. =)

Okay...that's about all I have for this morning...I will keep thinking though! By the way, Dark Zelda = fantastic! heart
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:45 pm


Hiya!!

Thanks for the awsome suggestions guys!!! There are some new ones that I am just dying to look at and make!

Lulu is now my next project - strange, it is one I thought of and discarded earlier (can't remember the reason) but I am now completely obsessed with the idea!!! I am stockpiling belts, and have a steel boned corset perfect for the job!

However, there are lots of other ideas that I am really keen to try now - Belldandy (esp for the wings!), Caster looks gorgeous so a definate one for the future (once I see it!) Sophia just looks amazing as does princess Emeraude though I think I need more practice with complicated designs of dresses before I attempt those two, and Belgemine definately in that category too(I think I need ...is it wonderweb?)

The others, I am less sure about, though it would probably help if I actually saw the series they are from ! sweatdrop

Anyways, you guys and your suggestions are amazing, any more suggestions let me know, as I have the feeling I'll be cosplaying for a long long time!!!! smile ninja 4laugh

Oh, and thankies re dark Zelda - I really need to learn to pull a scary/serious/evil face for I fail at that!

DarkerLink

Profitable Bloodsucker

6,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

PixieTyrant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:59 pm


Hmmm, may as well try. I guess the only pic I have of recent is the pirate festival...
User Image

I am a 19 year old female with:
~Dark brown hair, currently about shoulder length,
~Dark brown eyes
~5'2", and more of me to love! <3
I love (lets start with games...)
~Final Fantasy series, Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, Kingdom Hearts, Mana series (i.e. Secret of Mana, Sword of Mana, etc.), Pokemon, Star Ocean series, Alundra,Zelda, Dark Cloud, Dragon Warrior/Quest series, Suikoden series (though I've only played 1 and 2), Xenosaga series, Beyond Good and Evil...and so on
Now Anime...
~Soul Eater, Fate/Stay Night, Azumanga Daioh, Naruto (but no cosplay recommendations from it please), Sekirei, El Cazador de la Bruja, Simoun, CLAMP stuff, Hellsing, Mokke, Chrno Crusade, Last Exile, Angel Sanctuary, Pretear, Fruits Basket, Utena, uhhhhhh Strawberry Panic!, Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing, ummm I'm sure there's more somewhere. ^^;;

I am currently planning Female Chemist from Final Fantasy Tactics, and Eruka Frog from Soul Eater.

Will do:

~Wigs
~Contacts (though I do wear glasses)
~Light makeup
~Make it myself?
Won't do:
~Skimpy stuffs (No booty shorts and bikini tops- Cleavage I'm fine showing)
~Super high heels (i.e. hooker heels. XD )
~ Crossplay (I know binding can do wonders with the chest, but it's hard to hide mine. o.O)
~Cut my hair super short/dye my hair
~A lot of makeup/ body make up

P.S. I love Steampunk <3
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:51 am


@ Azzy-Hime:

I see you enjoy the rustic looks with a ton of bobbles and detail. There's plenty to go around with this in Fantasy and Steam punk like costumes. I don't know if you have done any of these cosplys before, but here are a few I would consider.

Telma-Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess
Dolores Umbridge- Harry Potter (being a bad guy can be fun at times)
Hanajima-Fruits Basket
Interga- Hellsing

The fantastic thing about liking Steam Punk and Pokemon as well is that you have a chance to get creative. You can look up other pokemon gijinka costumes for inspiration or even look into designing your own steam punk costume. The sky is the limit...well that and the budget. *giggles* but the great thing about designing your own costume is that no one else at the convention or any con for that matter, will have one like yours.

Righteous_Ruin
Captain


PixieTyrant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:01 am


Yeah. I have actually been planning out a steampunk costume for awhile, as with an espeon gijinka outfit. But Dolores Umbridge? Hmm, interesting. I also have thought about a Integra since the first time I saw Hellsing since I know my boyfriend would love to do a Alucard cosplay sometime. And Telma and butterfly girl just have awesome outfits, so they will probably happen at one point or another! XD Thanks!
Reply
Underdogs of Cosplay!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]
 
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games
//
//

// //

Have an account? Login Now!

//
//