|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:00 pm
Robert Zemeckis to Mo-Cap the Beatles Into a New Yellow SubmarineVariety is reporting some unexpected news: Robert Zemeckis is brokering a deal with Disney and Apple Corp. to remake Yellow Submarine with 3D motion capture technology. My initial reaction to the idea is knee-jerk and negative, and then I remember that Zemeckis has already made one Beatles film (I Wanna Hold Your Hand, 197 cool , so if anyone is going to make this work it could be him. If he hires a great art team to re-envision the Fab Four’s battle against the music-hating Blue Meanies, this could actually be a lot of fun.
Variety’s report says that Disney is working on “a complicated rights deal” that would clear 16 Beatles tunes for use in the film. (Dealing with the army of lawyers and hangers-on the deal requires sounds far more abhorrent to me than any remake.) The report doesn’t say how close Zemeckis would like to hew to the original, but song availability could have a lot to do with it. He won’t need the voices of Paul or Ringo, however, as even in the original the Fab Four were primarily played by voice actors.
I still struggle with most of the performance-capture work I’ve seen, but Zemeckis is steadily pushing the technology forward. And Yellow Submarine wouldn’t have to use photo-realistic human characters, as the whole point was to present a cartoonish, psychedelic vision.
The Beatles are huge right now, with Paul McCartney’s solo summer tour, their Rock Band game hitting in a couple weeks and remastered digital releases of Beatles records finally about to hit the iTunes store. But in three years when this film is finished, will it seem like an idea better left in 2009? Or will it be the most expensive stoner movie ever made? Copied from here.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:51 pm
Oh. My. God.
I would normally say "it's gonna suck", but since it's him... It's gonna rock.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:40 pm
 I'd like to see it, though, no matter how it turns out, the original Yellow Submarine is going to be my favorite.
Just because the fab four make an actual appearance in it, at the end of the movie.

|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:32 pm
*dances back and forth* I can't make up my mind about how I feel about this. gonk
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:34 pm
When I read this, my first thought was, and I quote, "GASP!!! WHY WOULD THEY DO SUCH A THING!?!? gonk scream gonk " But that's always my first thought when I hear about a remake of anything that was originally awesome, so the first thought shouldn't count for this :3 Yellow Submarine is for me, the best of the Beatles' five movies, even though they only appear in it for about 3 minutes. It's a goofy animation, definatly not realistic in any way, with the perfect script. If they do end up remaking it, I'll most likely go see it. But since Heinz Edelmann died, I'm really not sure what to think about it right now >.< And for me, traditionally animation totally beats CG any day. If the movie looks suckish, I will be emo emo
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:04 pm
On the subject of Yellow Submarine... did anyone else see the Robot Chicken sketch mocking it? I thought it was pretty funny. "What's the most important thing in the world?" "Acid!" "...After that." "Love!!"
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:32 pm
♫ ♪ ♫
Boo. I'm really not looking forward to this. I don't think it could ever compare to the the original. =( I'll probably go see it, anyways. Hopefully, it'll turn out OK, but I doubt it.
♫ ♪ ♫
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:55 pm
I am totally confused. I have no idea what to think so I will wait until I see it (if it happens) before I form an opinion.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:33 am
i heard this on our local radio like 4 or 5 months ago. i was like, "yellow submarine? isn't that the beatles? awesome." sorry, i was new back then. but i think it'd be best if it was released this year, after the 09-09-09 the beatles rock band and remastered box set and those limited usbs last october.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|