Note: I'm posting the beginning here just to see if people here like it. I've been trying to work this into a novel for a heck of a long time and am very protective of it. It is my baby (so no kidnapping it). If people seem to like it I might considering posting more for the viewing public but more is currently in my journal but i fear it's in no way in order.

Prologue

The waters were windy the night he was born. We were docked not too far from the Estovland shore. I knelt down next to his mother who was holding him lovingly in her arms.
“He’s gorgeous. Isn’t he Evalyne. He has his father’s eyes.” She said surprisingly calmly considering what she was doing just before she went into labor.
I stroked her head. “Let me take him. You’re tired. I‘ll take him to his father.” I said.
She nodded and let me take the baby in my arms. I wrapped him up in a blanket as he fussed.
“Will you be his godmother, Eve?” Beverly asked weakly.
“Of course, my sweet Beverly. All I need to know is what you and Danielle name him. His birth name that is.” I added casually.
“Mitchal.”
“Mitchal? Your not keeping tradition?”
“He won’t be here long enough for tradition.”
“So you hope, my dear. Rest now. You’ll need it.”
I took the baby into Danielle‘s office. “Captain, I have a surprise for you.” I practically sang.
Danielle shot up from his desk. “Evalyne, how’s Beverly? Is the baby alright?” He started panicking like any father.
“Beverly ’s fine. She’s resting now. You can see for yourself about the baby.” I said offering him his child.
Danielle smiled taking the baby from me. Mitchal settled into his father’s arms. Danielle sat back down in his chair looking down at the new born.
Danielle was a stern looking man but his eyes were kind. His movements were deliberate and precise. It was surprising how gentle he could be with the baby.
There was a knock at the door. The baby started fussing. “Come in, Charlotte.” Danielle called. Then whispered to the baby kissing his forehead, “Oh stop it. It’s just your brother.”
Charlotte quietly came into the room. “Is that the baby?” He asked excitedly.
Danielle rolled his eyes. “No, it’s a leprechaun. Evalyne just poofed it up for us.” He said sarcastically.
Charlotte peered over the back of his father’s chair at the baby. “Is it a boy or a girl?” Charlotte asked.
“You have a baby brother.” I answered before Danielle had a chance to check. “Beverly says his name is Mitchal.” I added.
“Since when?” Danielle asked skeptically.
I shrugged. Marissa kicked open the door entering with a smug assurance.
“Didn’t I teach you any manners?” I asked jokingly. Marissa shot me an evil look. “What crawled up your butt and died?” I demanded.
“Shut up, pixie.” He barked at me. I turned away from him making an angry cat noise under my breath. That man had been in a bad mood since he was born but he seemed especially tense that day.
“You’ve barged into my office for something and I’m taking a bet that it wasn’t to see your new nephew.” Danielle started.
“I’ve found out your latest plan to smite me.” Marissa said rounding on Danielle.
“Okay, if you two boys are going to fight hand over the infant and take it outside. Last time you two fought in here I was cleaning up hot wax and blood for weeks.” I reminded them. “We don’t want the baby to have an accident. I’m speaking for the baby’s family and myself Mar, I won’t speak for you.”
“We’re not going to fight. We’re not children anymore.” Danielle said but he handed over his son and walked out of the room, anyway. Marissa glared at me before following Danielle out closing the door behind him.
As soon as the men were out on the deck. Beverly walked into the office. Charlotte smiled at his mother.
“Are you feeling well, Bev? I thought you were resting.” I asked.
“No, I’m fine, Eve. I just remembered what we were doing before…,” She trailed off sitting down in her chair. “and my mind was racing about it, so.” She gazed at the packed chests along the wall.
Beverly was almost the opposite of her husband. She had a gentle frail look about her. She spoke softly and moved with elegance but she was stronger than most women especially in will.
I could hear the men yelling at each other. Mitchal started crying. Beverly took him from me. I listened intently to what the two were saying.
“I would make a better captain than that lunatic girl!” Mar raged.
“It’s not your decision!” Danielle snapped back.
“Your playing me. Your just leaving to see if I will mutiny upon the girl then you’ll come back and use it against me.” Mar said skeptically.
“I’m leaving because my children are not safe here. They’re not safe around you!” Danielle said.
“I would never harm your sons.” Mar said with mock loving.
“Your word is worth less than piss.” Daniel snapped.
“Have I ever done Charlotte any harm?” Mar said slyly.
“You’ve tried.” Danielle said.
“If your referring to the time the child foolishly drank poison I had nothing to do with it. It must have been somebody else’s mutiny plot. You’re not as good of a captain as you seem to think, dear brother-in-law.” Mar sneered.
“I’m a better captain than you could have been.” Danielle said just to hurt him.
That was the root of the argument that had going in between these boys for years. Danielle had been Mar’s father’s apprentice. Mar’s father was the old captain of the same ship they were arguing on. Mar’s father had given the ship and the entirety of his fortune to Danielle and Mar’s little sister, Beverly. Mar was left stuck on a ship he hated, working in the shadow of a man he hated, who was married to his sister who now hated him, with barely a penny to his name. If Mar left the ship he would be broke. If Mar stayed (which he did) he was bound to go insane (which he also did). Mar’s anger scared me.
As insanity set into him he started planning mutiny plots, theft plots, and murder plots but luckily for Danielle, Mar wasn‘t the brightest of the bunch. What scared me more was what he did off the ship. He didn’t just drink and go to brothels like most self loathing pirate men. Over the years he had also acquired a fancy for seeing other people in pain. Everyone enjoyed watching a good exaction now and then but he seemed to find some sick pleasure out of it beyond what other people did.
There was a loud crash outside the door. Metal on metal. Oh no! I rushed out of the room. Beverly and Charlotte followed me.
“Boys! Boys please stop it!” They didn’t listen to me.
They slashed at each other angrily. Lilith (the future captain of the ship) was sitting on the side of the deck idly watching them fight like it was a juggling act. Well, not how she would watch a juggling act (she liked to see if she could use telepathy to move the ball a small amount so the juggler would mess up), but how a normal person would watch a juggling act.
I watched them fight for a long wile willing them to wear themselves out before either got hurt. I suddenly felt dizzy. I fell to the deck and in that moment I told the prophesy.
When I came to they were all silently staring at me. Marissa quickly looked at me and walked away. Lilith helped me up. I winced as I noticed my wing was twitching painfully.
“What’s the matter? What happened?” I asked.

Copyright Evalyne Peirs January 2, 2009.

User Image
Ahhh... it's so cute!