|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:01 am
This is a long one, I wrote for my creative writing final. It got me an A in the class let's see what everyone thinks. I might actually draw out concept for the characters.
Part 1
“Jenifer Siu, age 23, ethnicity Chinese, current residence in 1052 Howard St. Apartment number 17, is that correct?” a tall man said as he looked down upon me, his hair slicked back, he looked as though his clothing were expensive. I nodded my head. I could feel hand cuffs digging into my skin behind my back. “Now then, where were you yesterday night around 11:47pm?” I looked up, the dim light hit my eyes, and I couldn’t understand why I was being interrogated in the first place. I stared up at the tall mans dark brown eyes. The room was dark; the gray walls did not help very much, the florescent lights hurt my eyes. I could see a long one sided mirror, my reflection staring back at me. I did not like this place very much it made me get chills.
“I don’t remember…” I trailed off. The detective looked down at a file in his hands and flipped through a few pages before his hand came to a halt at one.
“It seems as though that has happened a lot to you lately. This report here states that you have seen 3 psychiatrists and two doctors about memory blackouts. It also says you’re real name is Jen Siu and not Jenifer, is there a particular reason for that?” The detective closed the file and put it down on the desk, I looked around the room as though looking for an answer to the question. I muttered to myself in a low whisper. The detective raised a brow, questioning me actions, I could see it in his face that he was not pleased. “You haven’t been a detective long have you? Do you know that this has been the 37th murder this way in the past month?” The man asked. He leaned forward, I stared up at him. Before he could say anything gun shots were heard from outside the room. The detective rushed to the door, a fist came flying forward hitting the detective in the stomach, and he fell over.
I then saw the familiar face of a man with a rifle come through the door, it was Dan, my co worker. His short brown hair all over the place he looked absolutely insane. I had never seen that look on his face he looked like a demon had taken over his body, he was ready to kill. He was still wearing the same suit he wore everyday, it looked like it hadn’t been washed in a couple of days from some stains on his white top.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:03 am
Part 2. (didnt want to make the first post long)
“Hurry!” He yelled at me before coming forward and grabbing a hold of my arm, pulling me along outside. I was even more confused to what was going on. I yelled at Dan to stop but he kept moving. Running down the hall ways I wondered if I was being kidnapped there were many officials on the ground, some bleeding from being shot. Too many things went through my head I began to panic; at the same time I could hear someone else’s voice in my head yelling ‘s**t’. I must be going crazy. Pushing the front door open with a kick Dan pulled me forward and shoved me into the open door of a car waiting in front. I looked up from the back car seat; there was a strange man in a lab coat. Dan got into the passenger seat and the man in the lab coat took off. My shoulders began to tremble, was I going to be killed?
“Did I do something wrong?” I asked with a shaky voice to the two men up front. Dan glanced back at me; he looked more like his old self, tired and not very happy about what was going on.
“Don’t worry we’ll explain when we get to a safe area…” Dan’s words trailed off, my vision became blurry, and I couldn’t hear anything. I felt as though someone else was trying to control my mind, my head hurt. In my head everything was dark, am I dreaming? I wondered. ‘You’re not real’ the voice in my head said to me. Suddenly I saw myself in a dark alley way, walking casually, the street lights were the only thing I could count on to show me the way. I could hear foot steps behind me they had been following me for some time now. I was scared, probably another pervert trying to approach me.
I felt a light tap on my shoulder I come to a halt and turned around, an old man stared at me, that’s gross I thought to myself. He smiled licking his lips; his dark graying hair looks as if he hasn’t washed it in a while. He reaches forward with his dirty tan hand looking at me as though he hadn’t seen a woman in ages. Reaching into my bag I grasp onto the thin clear piano wire which I have just purchased. Wait, is this my memory of yesterday, it can’t be. I gave the greedy old man a smile; I suddenly pushed his hand away from me. Walking towards him as my arm sways back as my gloved hand makes a fist. Swiftly pulling my arm forward I punch the old man dead center in the middle of his face. He stumbles as he falls, I stomp my leg down as fast and hard as I can repeatedly on his chest hitting his face with my knee high boots once or twice until he knocks out. He was probably weak already, that homeless fool. Wrapping the piano wire carefully around his neck, careful not to touch his body I pull tightly until he bleeds, suddenly pulling both sides of the wire as hard as I can to make sure he’s dead for sure. The other me I was seeing looked straight at myself and gave an evil grin accomplished I seemed to continue down the dark alley way towards home. Suddenly everything is starting becoming blurry; I can hear a clicking noise.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:05 am
Part 3
“s**t.” My eyes open, I sit up and look at Dan, glaring at him. He doesn’t look back, looking forward I can see an old rusty shack.
“This is our new hideout.” The man in the white lab coat explains. “Is it you Jen? We got you an ice cream cone not long ago.” I punch the car door felling a gust of rage.
“How the hell did that detective figure out it was me? I thought my split personality would be convincing enough. Doc, why are we staying in such a lame place?” I say all at once, the man in the white coat smiles, explaining that he could not find a better hide out. Taking the vanilla ice cream I slowly bite into it. I feel like s**t for giving into something as lame as vanilla ice cream. It really was my weak point. Soon we parked and wandered into the shack. Kicking a pebble I cross my arms, boxes are already there and so is smoky, my fat orange cat that I could never seem to get rid of. Smoky meowed, at least he was happy. Walking up to a large broken down table I tap furiously on the wood, making a loud sound, I don’t like waiting. It’s very dusty, I can’t stand places like this they make me feel uncomfortable.
“Would you shut up? Geez, I like Jenifer better than you, all you ever do is complain.” Dan crosses his arms, I glare at him. I don’t understand how my other self can be patient with this guy all he ever does is whine. “How are you feeling?” Doc asked getting out some medicine bottles full of a yellow liquid as well as some needles. I look up at the ceiling; I blink as some bright light hits my face some of the boards on the roof are missing. “A little woozy…” I reply, Dan doesn’t say a word. Doc gets an injection ready. I show him my arm and let him inject me with the yellow liquid. To this day I can remember what the government bastards did to us. Closing my eyes I can picture the image of me eating breakfast two years ago, suddenly my door is broken down and I’m forcefully dragged into a black mini van by government officials. There are 5 other people in the van which was all I saw before a breathing mask was placed over my mouth along with a black cloth bag; I couldn’t see anything after that. We are taken to a dark room and one by one they inject different antidotes, testing thing on us like lab rats, I could only hear the sound of people’s reactions to the injections. They told us we would all be fine and these tests were not harmful. They told us we would be paid and get out alive. Thinking all of us were dead they threw our bodies out into the sewers permanently leaving those of us who were still alive with various non curable illnesses that have never been heard of as well as trauma from the incident. I developed something that Doc says might kill me one day, my whole body begins to ache until I cannot even stand without it hurting to breathe.
Opening my eyes I look down at my arm, being given a paper with instructions by Doc, I leave the shack and head out to find my new home. Good thing for us we have quite a few other people in the same boat as us to help out with our change of identities. Reaching the new apartment complex, I take no interest in looking around and immediately head to the room I have been assigned. Entering the room I look around, some things have been set up for me; there is new clothing ready but no food in the refrigerator. The room looks lonely, I feel as though it’s caging me inside like a bird so I can’t fly away.
“Cant these bastards supply at least food?” I mutter to myself. Looking through the dresser I pull everything out dropping it all on the ground, this place was too clean. Frustrated I grab the small glass vase on the dresser and violently throw it at the mirror in front of me. I breathe heavily as I stare at myself into the broken mirror. Wandering towards the bedroom I fall face first on the bed, closing my eyes I punch the bed a few times trying to not become curious about any information as to where I was in case of me getting caught a second time. I can hear a clicking sound before I close my eyes; I’ve begun to call it Jenifer’s alarm clock.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:06 am
Part 4
The apartment echoed with the noise of a vibrating phone. Reaching over to the night stand next to my bed I grabbed the phone and flipped it open, putting it up to my ear, my face still buried in my pillow as I muttered a Hello. I can hear the voice of an older man, he starts raising his voice, something about a file, and I jerk the phone away from my ear. I yawn, moving my long black hair from my face as I sit up and rub my eyes; I put the phone back to my ear the man has finally calmed down. He tells me he is my new employer and that I am late to work.
“What?! I’m never late.” I say before the man on the phone hangs up. I look at the phone; this isn’t my phone I think to myself. Suddenly there is a knock on the door I look up, realizing this is not my apartment. It looks expensive and exactly like somewhere I would like to stay at, clean white walls with framed artwork on the walls, it looks very inviting. To my right my eye catches the sight of a broken mirror. Was I kidnapped and brought here? It looks as though I hadn’t changed from yesterday since I was dragged into the car with Dan. I hear another knock at the door, more furious this time. I get up and walk towards the door a little afraid of what might be behind it.
“Who is it?” I ask as I look through the peep hole in the door. I see Dan; he looks tired and is holding a cup of coffee. The moment I see him I want to know everything.
“Open up or I’ll leave.” He says back. Quickly opening the door Dan walks in and hands me the cup of coffee. Closing the door I stare at Dan with almost a glare.
“What is going on? Yesterday I was being asked if I was a killer, today I wake up in someone else’s apartment. Explain things to me right now.” Dan scratches the back of his head as he sits himself down. Asking me to sit as well I sit on the blue flower patterned couch.
“Where do I start?” He asks himself casually. “I guess the beginning will do.” He explains what happened in the government facility we were taken to, telling me that Doc found us alive in the sewer and how I am just a split personality. I wonder if he’s making this up. “Your real self has been partners with me, killing to survive; our initial plan was to get high up in rank as detectives and revealing the government operations but there was a problem. The government found out about us.” Dan explained. “You know you’re the same person as Jen, except you’re not crazy.” I crossed my arms; there was no possible way this guy could be telling the truth. “What do you mean my real self?” I asked, he told me I was fake, a split personality Jen had developed. This has to be a lie! I yelled in my head. Hoping this would all be a dream as I closed my eyes, sadly, when I reopened them it was the same. Dan changed the subject and never answered my question, instead he told me to live my life normally and stay on the low end for a while, before he left. I wanted more answers but after that day I did not see Dan for the next few months.
Everyday I went to work as a cashier at a small grocery store with a smile. Always early I never made a mistake. I would always get praised on my efficiency; I was always good at this kind of thing. At home I would do the usual, read romantic novels, play with Smoky, eat junk food and sing loudly in the shower. Just as Dan told me to do I lived normally but something still bothered me. This Jen that everyone spoke of, saying it really was my true self, had not come out or killed anyone in the past two months. I was beginning to think it was all a big joke from the start and I would go back to my home in Hawaii once I raised the money. Finishing my normal morning routine I patted Smoky on the head and put down a bowl of cat food Smoky meowed happily.
“At least you understand me Smoky.” I said energetically at my over sized orange cat. Standing up straight the familiar chime of my cell phone begins to ring. Flipping it open I was about to say hello when Dan’s voice interrupted me.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:08 am
Part 5
“Doc has found the perfect place to restart as detectives, hurry it up there’s news that the detectives from before have been snooping around this area recently.” Dan sounded rushed; I could hear him tapping on his steering wheel.
“No, No, No. I can’t do that, I’ve finally found myself. No black outs or anything. I’m not going to lose what I got! I worked too hard for this!” I yelled at Dan, my voice shaking in anger. Not having contacted me for so long and now of all times telling us to run again.
“Look, stop acting stupid, it’s always been like this and it always will be you haven’t found s**t.” Dan now sounded frustrated. “s**t! Get out now!” I heard him say in a surprised manner. Soon I could hear a loud bang on my door, the detective from before stood in front of my now broken down door. I dropped my cell phone and stepped back. My turn I heard in my head. Confused I suddenly could hear a clicking sound in my head, it hurt, lowering my head as my vision grew black. Is this Jen?
“No time to lose.” I muttered as I opened my eyes, running towards the window I crossed my arms over my face and jumped through the window, landing in the parking lot, I could hear the stupid detective yelling at the police officers he had with him. I quickly jumped into the back seat of Dan’s car and ordered him to drive. It was no use; we were surrounded from every possible direction. The funny looking detective came up front. We were ordered to get out of the car; we did as we were told.
“I’ve been chasing you since the last time we met Jen.” He said with a grin. “Just answer me before we server our justice. Why are you killing people?” “Why else? Because it’s fun of course.” I laughed, no matter what I said, this man nor would any other person believe the truth. “Are you satisfied now Detective? Did you find your answer?” The detective suddenly gave me a very angry look.
“We’re government experiments that failed and were left to die, we just want our justice.” Dan stated, I looked back at Dan. The detective started laughing. I knew it from the start no one would understand.
“It’s the truth.” I said as I looked at Dan, he nodded his head and we both turned and began running. The detective made a loud gasp before he realized what was happening.
“FIRE!” he yelled as loud as he could, his voice was raspy, the words he spoke echoed in my ear along with multiple gun shots from the police officers. My head turned to look at Dan, he wasn’t there anymore, he had been shot and was lying on the floor a few feet away from me. Suddenly I stopped running back towards my injured ally. Before I could reach him more gun shots were fired. I felt my body being pushed back, the bullet going through my skin was fast so I barely felt the impact. Everything seemed to slow down. At least I won’t have a stupid split personality anymore. I thought to myself before I heard the clicking sound in my head that notified me my other personality would be taking over. I felt my body hit the pavement I don’t think my other self will make it in time. My eyes shifted upwards, the sky was very blue today, and I wonder why I never looked up before, I wondered if this was how Jenifer looked at the world, the clicking in my head getting louder and louder as I began to loose consciousness. As I blinked spots in my vision would black out. I sure hope Doc is still alive. My eyes close and then there is nothing.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|