Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Psychology Ward
Debate: Is it Ever Okay To Spank A Child?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have Some Gold!
  Thanks!
View Results

Carnivorous Bytes
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:08 am


We Must Be The Change…

Is it ever okay to spank a child? This is a method of discipline that has often been debated by parents and psychologists alike. Like most things, it is up to the parents to decide, for as long as the child is not beaten or abused it is not illegal. However, what about psychology-wise? What is your opinion about this way of telling a child that it is not okay to do something?


…We Wish To See
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:22 am


Sadly, whether it's right or not, its going to happen. There is no way to stop every child from getting their bum smacked by a ticked parent. To do that, we'd have to ban excessive drinking, punish parents for having loud arguments around the children, demand parenthood sermons, and all kinds of things that just don't happen in the real world.

Yes, spanking is wrong, if you seriously hurt the child. Spanking, in my opinion, is supposed to be a symbol of misdoing, rather than an act of harm. If you're gonna bop your child on the hindquarters, don't make them scream for half an hour. It makes the parent mad, it makes the kid miserable, and the cycle goes on.

There are a million other ways to tell your kid "no", so PLEASE try those first, before resorting to barbarism. Nothing spells "drunk raping serial killer" out better than childhood abuse.

Seto_Hayashi
Crew


Carnivorous Bytes
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:39 am


We Must Be The Change…

I agree with you that stopping it will never happen, but is it right? Just a simple spank, one that will theoretically make the child realize that what they did was wrong.

I also agree with your disagreeing with the subject, but for different reasons. I believe that spanking a child will only associate you with pain and make them fear you, as opposed to making them think that what they did was wrong. To test this, I asked my dad, who was spanked as a child, to recall what he did to deserve being spanked and he could not recall. He could recall, however, the act itself. It's the same thing with me, I was spanked and I cannot, to save my life, remember what for. I just remember being spanked.


…We Wish To See
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:47 am


As the old saying goes: violence doesn't solve anything.

You're right, I think, that spanking doesn't teach them anything. Parents always wonder why their kids are so belligerent when they get older. Do none of them stop to think its because they've outgrown spanking? There's no more fear-grip for them to use, so they don't feel a need to obey. Threatening them just makes it worse. Violence spawns more violence, and it cycles forever, until someone chooses another method of persuasion. We spend the first 18+ years of our lives working on our intellects, training our minds, and people still insist that a good smack teaches a kid right. What the heck, people?

Just a note: I was spanked ONCE as a child. I put the paddle in the furnace, afterward. mrgreen

Seto_Hayashi
Crew


Carnivorous Bytes
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:51 am


We Must Be The Change…

I think I agree. I guess we're done here until someone comes around and disagrees with us...

Crap, we need to stop agreeing. That went by way too quick...


…We Wish To See
Reply
Psychology Ward

 
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games
//
//

// //

Have an account? Login Now!

//
//