Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Gaia General Hospital
Career Choices Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have Some Gold!
  Thanks!
View Results

Carnivorous Bytes
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:08 am


We Must Be The Change…

Having trouble deciding what you should do? Already picked your job but not too sure as to what it is that your job is? This thread is for you with something of a description next to each career choice so you can choose wisely.

Psychiatrist: Psychiatrists are doctors that treat mental disorders with a combination of psychological therapy and medicines. They are required to have at least 4 years of college, preferably majoring in Psychology, and 4 years of medical school.

I would recommend this job to people who want to be doctors but don't want to work in the ER or ICU. This is only recommended to people with patients and good people skills.

If you do not know what you would like your specialties to be, click here for a list of ideas.

Psychologist: Psychologists, like Psychiatrists, are required to have 4 years of college, preferably majoring in Psych. However, psychologists do not require a medical degree, and therefore, cannot prescribe medication. This means that psychologists are expected to either undergo specific therapy sessions with their patients, or be able/willing to send their patients to proper authority figures in the field best suited for each case.

This is a recommended job for people who do not want to be doctors, but do want to work with patients. Like psychiatrists, you must have patience and good people skills, for you will be listening to people talk about their lives and personal issues. This career is different than psychiatry, because you will be expected to try and devise a solution without medicine. Keep in mind, though, that some cases simply require some form of medicine, so don't be afraid to transfer someone to a psychiatrist, should they truly need such care.

Psychologists may encounter patients who they suspect have mental disorders, and must be able to diagnose such patients as accurately as possible, to avoid critical mishaps in the future. While transferring to a psychiatrist may be required, sending them off for the wrong reason can have drastic consequences.

Nurse: Nurses are required to have at least 2 years of college and they have to have taken nursing courses, giving them basic medical knowledge. Nurses are a doctor's assistant and treat patients with the treatments that doctors prescribe.

Nurses are usually people who love medicine, but cannot afford all eight years of education required. Nurses follow the doctor's orders and spend a lot of hands-on time with the patients. It is not required, but patients enjoy nurses who connect with them personally and emotionally.

Surgeon: Surgeons are required to have 4 years of college, majoring in anything, and 4 years of medical school. You should have a good knowledge of human anatomy, considering your job is to cut people up and maneuver around their bodies to find a specific problem and fix it. You will be doing many different things, from appendectomies to arm reattachment.

Surgeons do not have to have too much people skills, since their patient is usually knocked out from drugs the entire time that they operate.

Medical Student: This is a good job for people who do not have very much medical knowledge but want to. As a medical student, like a nurse, you will only do things that the doctor tells you to at first. You are encouraged to ask questions and, after a while, should get used to the hospital enough to be able to do things on your own.

Because you are still in school, you only come to the hospital 4 days a week, while you are at school or free on the others.

ER/ICU Doctor: Working in the ER or ICU, you can encounter anything and everything. You must be prepared to work quickly and you must have a very good knowledge of medicine. Working under pressure must be no sweat and you must be prepared to loose patients.

ER: Emergency Room
ICU: Intensive Care Unit

Specialties:

Pediatrician: A pediatrician is a doctor that works exclusively with infants and children. You should have 4 years of college and 4 years of medical school and, because of the job's requirements, a way with children. Of course, patients is very important along with an understanding of how to communicate with parents and children.

When you choose this job, you should understand that you will very likely encounter abused children. You should be able to tell when a parent is abusive and you should know when a child needs to see a psychologist/psychiatrist.

Physical Therapist: A Physical Therapist, for this hospital, must complete 2 years of college and a Physical Therapist Education Program.

You will be treating patients from your office. According to medicalcareerinfo.com, "Treatment often includes exercise for patients who have been immobilized and lack flexibility, strength, or endurance. Physical therapists encourage patients to use their own muscles to increase their flexibility and range of motion before finally advancing to other exercises that improve strength, balance, coordination, and endurance. The goal is to improve how an individual functions at work and at home."

Cardiovascular: Cardiovascular technicians, after completing 4 years of college (any major) and 4 years of medical school, assist doctors in the diagnosis of anything relating to cardiac (heart) and peripheral vascular (blood vessel) ailments. They will then treat the ailment.

Like a doctor, ou must be prepared to work quickly and you must have a very good knowledge of medicine, especially cardiac and peripheral vascular knowledge.

Pharmacist: After completing an accredited college of pharmacy and passing a State examination, a Pharmacist creates and fills prescriptions for a doctors. You must have a good idea of what drug does what and what drug cannot mix with another. You don't have to spend all that much time with patients; the maximum would be a quick greeting before giving them the medication and maybe telling them how they should take the drug.

Emergency Medical Technician{EMT}: And EMT rides in the ambulance or helicopter and treats patients in what are usually critical conditions. This job is extremely stressful; as almost all of your decisions decide if a patient will live or die.

You must complete a formal training and a certification is required to be an EMT. 99% of your job is made up of either driving extremely quickly, so you must be a very qualified driver, or working on a dying patient in the back of a moving vehicle. Sometimes the patient will be in seemingly fine condition, so you should be able to be a good reassurance to those, but mostly you are picking up a person hanging on to life by a thread.

Radiologist: Radiologists use X-Rays, CAT Scans, and MRI's to find and diagnose medical ailments or measure the damage of a fractured bone. This job requires a formal training program in radiography. The range in length from can be from 1 to 4 years and lead to a certificate, associate degree, or bachelor’s degree.

You should be able to read the machines and communicate with the doctors. You do not have to spend very much time with patients.


Source For Specialtists: http://www.medicalcareerinfo.com

I know that I don't have all of the positions that a hospital does, so if you would like a career that is not listed above, please let me know! I will gladly add something to the list!

If you still aren't sure as to what you should do, let me know! Post a question here or PM me and me or another Guild member will help you out!


…We Wish To See
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:33 pm


I actually disagree about the differences between psychiatrists and psychologists.

Usually a psychologist will diagnose a patient with a mental disorder and refer them to a psychiatrist for medication management.

That's usually the only psychiatrist involvement. Psychiatrists that do psychotherapy are terribly rare and usually only operate in a private practice. Psychiatry is actually pretty boring.

Psychiatrists also have to complete a counseling program, like a Master's of Clinical Social Work program or a Master's in Counseling Psychology/Phd of Clinical Psychology (usually this one) if they want to do psychotherapy. Most Psychiatrists also have a Pre-Med Bachelor's so they can get into medical school.

I considered being a Psychiatrist once because they make so much money. Then I realized I didn't want to go to medical school and that the ability to write prescriptions (which I usually disagree with anyway) simply wasn't that important to me.

Satil


Carnivorous Bytes
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:06 pm


Satil
I actually disagree about the differences between psychiatrists and psychologists.

Usually a psychologist will diagnose a patient with a mental disorder and refer them to a psychiatrist for medication management.

That's usually the only psychiatrist involvement. Psychiatrists that do psychotherapy are terribly rare and usually only operate in a private practice. Psychiatry is actually pretty boring.

Psychiatrists also have to complete a counseling program, like a Master's of Clinical Social Work program or a Master's in Counseling Psychology/Phd of Clinical Psychology (usually this one) if they want to do psychotherapy. Most Psychiatrists also have a Pre-Med Bachelor's so they can get into medical school.

I considered being a Psychiatrist once because they make so much money. Then I realized I didn't want to go to medical school and that the ability to write prescriptions (which I usually disagree with anyway) simply wasn't that important to me.


We Must Be The Change…

I agree with your points, but I do know that there are psychiatrists that do psychotherapy and so I didn't change the psychiatrist post. NOT because I think you're wrong, you make a good, strong point, but because I want this to be interesting to everyone, I am going to have the same involvement in counciling for both psychiatrist and psychologist. I am changing it a little to include more involvement of the psychologists, though.

Thank you for the help, I probably sounded insensitive, but I do appreciate it!


…We Wish To See
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:25 am


(I'm asking just so I can make sure)
When psychologist come across someone with a mental disorder (I think this would constitue as one but Bipoloar disorder/depression, ect.) and the have a psychiatrist come in, do the psychologists still have the patient come in and have sessions with them?

sayaandtenshi

Friendly Conversationalist

5,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Carnivorous Bytes
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:44 am


We Must Be The Change…

Yes. You and the psychiatrist will sort of "split" the the patient; the psychiatrist seeing them as needed and you seeing them all of the other times.


…We Wish To See
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:07 pm


This is just a little thing for me, really, but...

I don't like that you deem Psychology "less exciting" than Psychiatry. Trying to help patients without medicine can be quite exciting, moreso than just throwing prescriptions at people. Also, that is not a stab at psychiatry as a study, just at the psychiatrists I know. If we had by-the-book psychiatrists, I'd be a happy camper. Also... if this is in the wrong spot, just erase it. It was a minor complaint, anyway.

Seto_Hayashi
Crew


Carnivorous Bytes
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:41 am


We Must Be The Change…

I'm sorry that that's the message you got from my post; that's not at all what I was trying to say. Is there a specific way that you think I could write it so as to have people convey it a little better. And you are correct, psychology is a very exciting carreer, though I don't agree with how you conveyed psychiatrics. It is a career that is all that a psychologist would do, but medications are extremely important. In my opinion, medicine is the only way that some people can get over certain disorders, such as depression.


…We Wish To See
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:16 am


CyberKiss~ I agree entirely: there ARE some cases that medication is required. And as I said before, I don't think psychiatry is a bad practice. I said there are psychiatrists who misuse their medical degree to shovel out prescriptions without really caring.

Another point I'd like to make, is there are lots of cases that medicine isn't required, but the average patient wants their instant happy-pill, rather than working on a longer-term, more permanent solution. It makes me sad, but I'm just trying to think realistically.

Psychiatry is a very important practice, and I'd never say otherwise. All I want to convey, is that psychology is just as important, and not a sub-section of psychiatry.

Also... is this a typo?

Quote:
Like Psychiatrists, you must have patients and good people skills, for you will be listening to people talk about their lives.
Did you mean patience, or it that just a cheesy little pun? heart

I'm not the most articulate being in the world, but let's see if I can make a suitable suggestion for describing psychology.... :


Psychologist: Psychologists, like Psychiatrists, are required to have 4 years of college, preferably majoring in Psych. However, psychologists do not require a medical degree, and therefore, cannot prescribe medication. This means that psychologists are expected to either undergo specific therapy sessions with their patients, or be able/willing to send their patients to proper authority figures in the field best suited for each case.

This is a recommended job for people who do not want to be doctors, but do want to work with patients. Like psychiatrists, you must have patience and good people skills, for you will be listening to people talk about their lives and personal issues. This career is different than psychiatry, because you will be expected to try and devise a solution without medicine. Keep in mind, though, that some cases simply require some form of medicine, so don't be afraid to transfer someone to a psychiatrist, should they truly need such care.

Psychologists may encounter patients who they suspect have mental disorders, and must be able to diagnose such patients as accurately as possible, to avoid critical mishaps in the future. While transferring to a psychiatrist may be required, sending them off for the wrong reason can have drastic consequences.


It may be a little too serious, but this is my opinion, so feel free to move it around or ask me questions on it.

Seto_Hayashi
Crew


Carnivorous Bytes
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:38 am


We Must Be The Change…

Okay, that sounds better! 4laugh Thank you, and sorry again for passing around the wrong idea. sweatdrop I feel so no0bish! crying


…We Wish To See
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:45 am


Nah, you're not a noob. But ya really have to be a psychologist (or psych student mrgreen ) to really have a strong grasp on the field. Anything I can do to help . ^^

Seto_Hayashi
Crew


Carnivorous Bytes
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:52 am


We Must Be The Change…

I've been trying, but I'm only 15 sweatdrop I take online courses((Yes, real ones. Not just stupid Wikipedia ones made up by the same people who reviewed Startrek...not that I have anything against the show XD )) and I really love learning about it. It's so amazing to know all about human behavior and I feel like I can read people's minds, sometimes! twisted Muahahahaha! ((I just had my second cappuccino of the day xd ))


…We Wish To See
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:03 am


Holy crap, are you serious? 15? you're the smartest 15-year-old I've ever met, for sure. I just hit 21, and I feel a little silly now. XD

Yeah... if you need any advice, terminology references or anything, I'm here. and so is my shelf of psychology books XD

Seto_Hayashi
Crew


Carnivorous Bytes
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:32 am


We Must Be The Change…

Aw, thank you! You're so sweet! And I will definitely use you as a reference! Thank you for the offer and the help!


…We Wish To See
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:00 pm


I don't think I could ever become an EMT, but I do know that I want to become a Pediatrician =]

iExterminate

Smitten Kitten

Reply
Gaia General Hospital

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]
 
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games
//
//

// //

Have an account? Login Now!

//
//