|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:46 am
You walk in Hogwarts' courtyard in this fine morning. The sun is shinning, and the wind is gently blowing through the trees. As you approach from the site of today's class, you see some old wood shelves with cages on them, containing what looks like insects. You get closer and realise the things you took for insect are in fact small fairies. The teacher, not far away, asks you to take a sheet on the pile. You take a sheet and sit on the ground with other students. After a couple of minutes, the class start... " Care of Magical Creatures:Lesson for the month of August 2008This month's lesson: Fairies A fairy is a small woodland creature, reaching from one to five inches in height. It looks like a tiny human with wings on its back, usually kind of insects-wings, mostly butterfly or dragonfly. The fairy's body can be like normal human skin, but some fairies have been found to have either spotted or striped skin. Those are believed to help fairies hide in woods. The fairy possesses a weak type of magic but has no power of speech. They communicate with each other with a high-pitched buzzing sound. Tips about fairies:-> Fairies can't talk human language. They can however try to explain what they want, but never using words. -> Fairies can be easily bored. When a fairy is bored, she won't answer to orders or questions, and might do some mischiveous tricks to have some fun. -> Fairies love to observe human and seem to find them fascinating. Some are reported to follow people around for no reasons, simply looking at what they do. -> Fairies HATE meat. If you try to give them some, they will probably attack you. -> Fairies can't really hurt humans, until there is a lot of them working together, which rarely happen. However, they seem to enjoy hiding stuff or play tricks to humans." Homeworks:Each student will receive a fairy in a cage, and will have to take care of it for a week. You will have to write a 250 words text about what happened with your fairy, what you did, etc. Remeber that even if your fairy choose to be part of the homework, it can be a little mischiveous or hard to keep. Originality is key for this homework. Submitting a text will automaticly give you 10 points, but I'll choose the best and give an extra 10 points to this student. You have until the end of the month to PM me your text. Please include your name and house somewhere, it will make my live easier. You can ask questions here if you have."
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:04 am
Maeve, I have a small question..
Do we have to write it in a structural setting, as in paragraphs? Or can we do like, little blurbs for each day, like a diary or something?
[ Geeker ] - Ravenclaw.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:32 am
As long as I can understand it, you can do anything biggrin The one I've received for now was separated in paragraphs, but you can also just write it like a diary if you find it easier.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:43 am
Awesome because I started it and I was doing like "Day one " and then I was like
'oh wait can I do it that way..?'
[ Geeker ] - Ravenclaw.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:03 am
It's the end of August, and as usual, a sheet of parchemin is hang in the main hall, with a list of the homework received and the name of the winning writer for the last month. ((Ok, I will try to post this around a week before the end of the month, so you have time to send your homework if you forgot to do it or if for some reasons I haven't received it. I'll pick the winning text at the end of the month, so you will still have a chance to win some more points. Of course, that only apply to months where the homework will be a text top write, though I'll post the name of the people who have sent me answers if the homework was a Q&A.))
Homework received this month: Siegfried708 After I received my Fairy to take of for the week that day, I went to the Great Hall with it and found an Apple for it to eat. I cut it up, as to not let the fairy choak on the apple, and I slipped a few peices in there. The fairy must have been very hungry, because it ate all the peices of apple in about a minute and then it went to sleep. I was wondering what else to do with the fairy, but I just let it sleep. It slept for the rest of the day, and for the rest of the week it did just about the same thing. Except when it got out of it's cage, every other day I had the fairy, it released itself from the cage and flew around most of the school looking for something to play with. It would fly around knocking over portraits, students, books and furniture, but I would catch it shortly afterwards. I was exhausted and releaved when I returned the fairy to the teacher a week later. -Siegfried708 Hufflepuffangelburrito angelburrito RavenclawMonday.We received our fairies in our Care of Magical Creatures lesson early in the morning. As I made my way round the school grounds to my next class, History of Magic, I could tell my fairy was as pleased as I was to be conducting this piece of homework. It wasn't going to make my already busy week any easier! She sat slumped, quite grumpily, against the bars of her cage for the entire day, but I could tell there was something more going on behind that irritated look of hers. I shrugged it off, it's not like she could tell me anyway. I spent the entirety of my evening studying in my dorm, the homework had already started piling up. My fairy got angrier as the evening progressed, but there was not much I could do as I had a huge History of Magic assignment to write up, and fell asleep the instant I finished. Tuesday.I woke up this morning and, to my horror, all my stuff had been thrown around the room. Everyone else in my dorm was still asleep, and I was completely puzzled as to how this had happened. Not only did the contents of my trunk now carpet the floor beside my bed, all my study notes and books were scattered around my desk. I then caught sight of my fairy, still in her cage where I left her on my desk, but with a smug, secretive look on that little face of hers. I knew I now had to keep a much better eye on her, and needed to keep her amused as much as I could so she didn't wreak havoc on my life! I really should have paid more attention to the sheet I received in class, I was too busy stressing about the other written assignments I had. For the rest of the day I hardly took my eyes of her, juggling taking notes in class, barely understanding our newest spells, and providing my little fairy with something to do. On my way out to Herbology I grabbed some acorns and carved small pictures and symbols into them, and gave these to my fairy. This kept her very busy for the rest of the day, she took great interest in the different flowers and plants I had etched into the small acorns, and added to the designs herself, with her surprisingly sharp fingernails. Hopefully, I can use things of similar design to communicate with her, as her fast, erratic hand gestures are rather difficult to decode. If I can know what she needs and wants, maybe I can avoid her destroying my room again. Wednesday.I got up early again today, and took my fairy with me down out into the castle grounds to collect natural materials to draw on, mostly down around by the games keeper's hut. He actually popped out while I was out collecting, and was more than happy to provide me with some advice. He informed me that fairies are very vain creature, and that, if I was to tell my fairy just a few times a day how beautiful and lovely she was, this would ensure she would be on her best behaviour for me. Boy, did that work a charm! I had an entirely uneventful day, carting my fairy round from class to class, every so often whispering to her a few compliments and kind words. She seemed content to create with the leaves and flowers I had put into her cage, often building what looked like intricate buildings and dwellings. When she wasn't doing this, she was leaning out the sides of her cage, scrutinising my classmates behaviour. They found it just as unnerving as I did! Thursday.Today I had some free lessons, so I took my fairy into the library with me, where I hoped to read up on fairies, seeing if I could find a basis for communicating with her. I located pictures of foods she would be familiar with and other images from her natural environment. A librarian passed me, looking rather unimpressed at the collection of plant matter I had brought into the library, but as she knew me as a studious student, obviously let it slide. I began to etch images of food into leaves and then handed them into the cage, and my fairy nodded vigorously at me. I took this as a sign she was hungry. I decided to make my way back down to the grounds keeper again, and to my luck he was pottering around in his little patch of garden. I thanked him kindly again for his previous advice, and learnt from him where I could find something my fairy would enjoy to eat. I had to go round the back of the Herbology glass houses, where there was a small garden of wild, and very beautiful flowers. I plucked a few of each of the stems and rushed off to the Great Hall, as it was now my lunch time too! My fairy happily nibbled away as I rushed my lunch, I had to finish my assignment for Potions before class next! Unfortunately, right in front of where I had set down my fairy, a joint of roast beef appeared. Unlike the other Ravenclaws sitting around me who gazed upon it in delight, and were quick to get a slice, my fairy was horrendously angered and appalled by it's appearance. Before I could act, small sparks sent not only the roast spinning down the long table, but my nearly completed Potions scroll up in flames. I grabbed her cage quickly and ran out of the Hall. Needless to say, my lack of homework landed me a weekend detention with the Potions Professor; having a fairy was not easy work. Friday.Today went past without a glitch. Classes were fine; my fairy scribbled out requests of food or attention on leaves, and I was quick to appease. In the evening the Ravenclaw Quidditch tryouts were being held, so I, with most of my house filled up the Quidditch stands eager to see who would make the cut. My fairy seemed just as excited as the rest of us! She flitted around in her cage, trying to follow the action. I, perhaps a little naively, let her out of her cage, and she happily flew around the players, catching up to the snitch and having a good time! Luckily, after a few minutes, she dutifully returned to me and I quickly got her back in the cage. Saturday.Even though most of my dorm were off studying together, and generally having a good time, I decided to do a little more bonding with my fairy. She seemed quite keen to interact with me, which was really quite amazing, and I didn't want to miss out on the chance. We went down to the edge of the Forbidden Forest and I let her out of her cage. She playfully flew around my legs, giving me little nips on the knees as she came past; such a rascal! She tugged at my sleeve, trying to get me to follow her in. I've never been a risk taker, but I reasoned with myself; this was educational, it would help me do better on the assignment. She led me though the trees, round and round, it felt like we'd been spiraling for hours when we finally happened upon the most beautiful glade I had ever seen. It was dappled with golden light and in the middle lay a sparkling pool. There seemed to be insects everywhere, but as my fairy tugged my hair, encouraging me to go closer, I realised that these were all fairies too. I stumbled down the mossy bank and sat down on a rock on the water's edge. A very entrancing buzzing filled the air, and I realised that it must be the chatterings of the fairies. My fairy, after greeting a few others, flew back towards me and cheekily cupped up some water from the pool and flicked it up at my face. The fairies continued to interact, weaving and dancing through the air and across the water for what seemed like an eternity. Eventually, they began to drift away, back into the foliage around them, their speckled bodies a natural camouflage. I got up slowly and my fairy came over to me and we left the glade, and the forest, safely under her guidings. Sunday.Today was my final day with my fairy. Today was also the day of my Potions detention. I arrived in the dungeons, caged fairy in tow, to be greeted by my Professor and the two others, another Ravenclaw and one Slytherin, who had also failed to hand in their homework. We would be scrubbing the floors in the storerooms, he announced. It took the better part of the morning, even with my fairy's kind help, and I was exhausted from the work. I spent the rest of the day, in the dorm, finishing up the homework I had neglected during the week. My fairy was out of her cage, and sat by on my desk watching and playing around with my things. She will be a sorely missed companion when I hand her back tomorrow. I am greatly pleased to have gotten to know another side of a creature usually seen as arrogant and troublesome. I've also learnt not to underestimate someone, no matter how small, elegant and harmless they may seem! [ GeeKer ] Day One: My fae is very shy, anytime she sees me, she will hide amongst the flowers I left for her. She'll peer out at me and giggle. I to sit far enough that she cannot see me. I've named her Ariel, the red of her hair stands out against the dark wood I left Ariel will come out and play as well as talk to the various flowers I left her, I noticed her favorite are the daisies. Day Two: Ariel has become a bit more friendly, if I am calm and have been sitting around for a while, she'll come out and press her face against the glass, watching me intently. I'm starting to think she is studying me, as I am her. Her fruit of choice is pears, well those are the first to disappear when I do drop food in for her. I also noticed her wings seem to be many different colors, they shimmer green and pink in the sunlight. I've also seen sapphire blues and magentas. Day Three: Feeling a bit more comfortable with each other, I've been putting the food and fresh foliage for Ariel in by hand. Of course my dumb roommate came running in at the moment I had my hand in there and Ariel bit me. Understandable since she got scared, I think if anything it scared me more than anything. She she clamped down on my hand I let out a loud squeel, which caused her to hide from me for the rest of the day. Day Four: After much begging and pleading, I've gotten Ariel to come out from hiding. She's still very shaken up after yesterday, I gave my roomie a good smack, after all the hard work I had done. I continue to feed her, and pick out the most fresh flowers I can find. Very cautiously, Ariel, will come to take the fruit from me. Feeling a bit better and trusting I will leave her cage open, allowing her to peer out and wander around. Giving her the chance, also, to stretch her wings. Day Five: While making a quick sketch, I let Ariel out of the cage, suddenly next thing I knew she was right in my face, hers pressed against my glasses. She was making a silly face. I couldn't help but let out a laugh. At that moment she fluttered lazily back to her cage. Resting on a large flower I picked not to long agin. I continue to giggle as I close the topper on the cage, reminding her 'in a few days she'll go home' Day Six: Remembering how friendly Ariel was yesterday, I open the cage again, reaching my hand in slowly, fingers out-stretched. I asked if I could hold her. Carefully she stepped onto my hand, I pull my hand up and perch my glasses on the top of my head, leaning in close. She does a small twirl, while letting out her small giggle. I thank her and over a small ripe strawberry. She takes it and I ser her down daintily near a small pile of flowers. Day Seven: I rapt softly on Ariel's cage, reminding her she will go back to Professor DragonHearts class today. I open up the cage, setting in a few small slivers of pear. I also offer in some fresh daisies. I will miss Ariel very much, she pressed her hands against the glass and gives a sad look. I'll try to smile as I carry her back. I will softly whisper my goodbyes and well wishes.  (borrowed from Faerieprints.com) And the winner for this month is... Siegfried708 and angelburrito!!!
Siegfired708 gets a bonus of 10 HP for submitting the homework that was the closest to what I asked for (a 250 words text).
But I have a hard time to choose, so I decided to give angelburrito a 10 HP bonus too, since her text is really the best.
Since it's the first lesson I gave, I also have decided to give 5 points to [GeeKer], as a participation gift. The next lesson will be post soon, and I hope a lot of people will participate.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|