Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Class Rooms (Classes)
Arithmancy

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dragoste Moon
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:42 am


A Note Before We Begin: I am merely a guest teaching this class. The only class I am the professor of is Divination. Arithmancy is still open, if you would to teach this class, please see the Hiring Thread.

___________________________________________________

If you open your text to page 9, you will see that, "In modern numerological terminology, arithmancy (a shortened form of Greek αριθμομαντεια divination by numbers) is a simplified version of ancient Greek Isopsephy or Hebrew/Aramaic Gematria, as adapted to the Latin alphabet."

Arithmancy has it's open class, due to the complex nature of the subject, as well as the utter depth to which you may study it.

This lesson will be devoted to learning how letters correspond to numbers. There are two methods of changing numbers to letters, the first method is the most common, and most well-known, formed after the famous wizard Aggripa, some of you may know him from your chocolate frog cards, I know I have about a dozen of him.

User Image

So let's say that we are translating the name Harry Potter, with Arithmancy.

H = 1 A = 1 R = 2 R = 2 Y = 7 P = 9 O = 8 T = 4 E = 5 R = 9

1+1+2+2+7+9+8+4+5+9 = 48. We then reduce it from two a single number. 4 + 8 = 12. 1 + 2 = 3.

Harry Potter, the name, is a Three.

We could also do his birthday. 07/31/80

7+3+1+8 = 19. 1+9 = 10 = 1.

Make since?

Your Homework, worth 15 points, is to translate Your Username, Favorite breakfast item, and favorite book to read into it's Arithmancy number.

Don't forget your Name and House!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:18 am


My username is [ Geeker ], my numbers come out to be 7+5+5+2+5+9 = 33 = 6

My favorite breakfast item is bacon 2+1+3+6+5 = 17 = 8

My favorite book is Alice in Wonderland 1+3+9+3+5+9+5+5+6+5+4+5+9+3+1+5+4 = 82 = 10 = 1

[ GeeKer ]

6,850 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Maeve DragonHeart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:41 am


My name is Maeve DragonHeart, so my number is 4+1+5+4+5+4+9+1+7+6+5+8+5+1+9+2=76. 7+6=13. 1+3=4.

My favorote breakfast item is ham 8+1+4=13. 1+3=4.

My favorite book is The Little Prince 2+8+5+3+9+2+2+3+5+7+9+9+5+3+5 = 77. 7+7=14. 1+4=5.

I'm from Ravenclaw.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:16 am


name: PuertoRicanFaerie (Gryffindor)
7+3+5+9+2+6+9+9+3+1+5+6+1+5+9+9+5=94, 9+4=13

Favorite breakfast: bacon
2+1+3+6+5=17, 1+7=8

Favorite book: Eragon
5+9+1+7+6+9=37, 3+7=10

DilusionalVampire


Siegfried708

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:52 pm


Siegfried708 ( I do not know if I should add the 70 cool
1+9+5+7+6+9+9+5+4=57. 5+7=12.

Favorite Breakfast food: Waffles
5+1+6+6+3+5+1=27. 2+7=9

Favortie Book: Harry Potter and the Deathley Hallows (I'm not completly sure about the numbers)
8+1+9+9+7+7+6+2+2+5+9+1+5+4+2+8+5+4+5+1+2+8+3+7+8+1+3+3+6+5+1=152. 15+2=17

-Siegfried708
Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:39 pm


angelburrito : 7

( 1+5+7+5+3+2+3+9+9+9+2+6=6+1=7 )

Coco Pops : 3

( 3+6+3+6+7+6+7+1=3+9=1+2=3 )

Iliad : 8

( 9+3+9+1+4=2+6=8 )

angelburrito
Ravenclaw


angelburrito



pills4breakfast

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:03 pm


Username :: belleanomalie :: 7
2+5+3+3+5+1+5+6+4+1+3+9+5 = 52
5+2 = 7

Favorite Brakfast :: Bagel :: 9

2+1+7+5+3 = 18
1+8 = 9

Favorite Book :: Breaking Dawn :: 1
2+9+5+1+2+9+5+7+4+1+5+5 = 55
5+5 = 10
1+0 = 1
belleanomalie
Gryffindor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:36 pm


Username (Jourreve):
1 + 6 + 3 + 9 + 9 + 5 + 4 + 5 = 42
4 + 2 = 6
Jourreve = 6

Favorite Breakfast Item (Pancakes):
7 + 1 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 5 + 1 = 25
2 + 5 = 7
Pancakes = 7

Favorite Book (Matilda):
4 + 1 + 2 + 9 + 3 + 4 + 1 = 24
2 + 4 = 6
Matilda = 6

Jourreve

Hufflepuff

Jourreve

Dapper Cat


mkaycole

Dapper Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:22 pm



Username: Insanity624

[9+5+1+1+5+9+2+7+6+2+4=51]
[5+1=6]
[6]

Favorite Breakfast Item:Bagels

[2+1+7+5+3+1=19]
[1+9=10]
[1+0=1]
[1]

Favorite Book: The Maltese Falcon
[2+8+5+4+1+3+5+1+5+6+1+3+3+6+5=58]
[5+8=13]
[1+3=4]
[4]

Insanity624
Gryffindor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:02 pm


Morwynn = 4+6+9+5+7+5+5 = 41 = 5
Cold pizza = 3+6+3+4+7+9+8+8+1 = 49 = 13 = 4
I can never think of one book for my favorite, so just Harry Potter = already done for me = 3
(Morwynn, Ravenclaw.)

Morwynn


Gazared

Familiar Phantom

6,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Voter 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:54 pm


Username: Toonlass. 7
T+O+O+N+L+A+S+S
2+6+6+5+3+1+1+1=25
2+5=7


Favorite breakfast item: Sausage links. 3
S+A+U+S+A+G+E+L+I+N+K+S
1+1+3+1+1+7+5+3+9+5+2+1=39
3+9=12
1+2=3


Favorite book: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. 2
T+H+E+H+I+T+C+H+H+I+K+E+R+S+G+U+I+D+E+T+O+T+H+E+G+A+L+A+X+Y
2+8+5+8+9+2+3+8+8+9+2+5+9+1+7+3+9+4+5+2+6+2+8+5+1+7+3+1+6+7=155
1+5+5=11
1+1=2


Toonlass
Gryffindor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:16 am


Trizo
T+R+I+Z+O
2+9+9+8+6 = 34 = 3+4 = 7

Breakfast: Cereal (the only normal option srsly.)
C+E2+R+E+A+L
3+5+9+5+1+3 = 2+6 = 8

Book: Secret Garden (I can't read.)
S+E+C+R+E+T+G+A+R+D+E+N
1+5+3+9+5+2+7+1+9+4+5+5 = 56 = 11 = 2

Trizo


cutie6380

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:02 pm


cutie6380 = 3+3+2+9+5 = 22 = 4 (I didn't add the numbers at the end of my name)

Maple Sausage = 4+1+7+3+5+1+1+3+1+1+7+5 = 39 = 12 = 3

The Catcher in the Rye = 2+8+5+3+1+2+3+8+5+9+9+5+2+8+5+9+7+5 = 96 = 15 = 6


cutie6380
Gryffindor
Reply
The Class Rooms (Classes)

 
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games
//
//

// //

Have an account? Login Now!

//
//