|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:55 am
You may drop off your potions homework here.
You MUST include your name, house, year, and lesson number on each homework submission for it to be valid.
Lesson 1 Grades scored out of 25 points.
Kanita Doyle 6th :: 21/25 :: O (1. 5/5, 2. 7/10, 3. 4/5, 4. 4/5) Kinzoku Tsuchi 3rd :: 19/25 :: E (1. 3/5, 2. 9/10, 3. 5/5, 4. 3/5) Ascella Henther 7th :: 22/25 :: O (1. 5/5, 2. 9/10, 3. 5/5, 4. 3/5) Lorako Riviere 1st :: 19/25 :: E (1. 5/5, 2. 7/10, 3. 3/5, 4. 4/5)
Passing Grades21 - 25pts = O = Outstanding 15 - 20pts = E = Exceeds Expectations 9 - 14pts = A = Acceptable Failing Grades5 - 8pts = P = Poor 1 - 5pts = D = Dreadful 0pts = T = Troll
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:43 pm
Name: Kanita Doyle House: Ravenclaw Year: Sixth Homework: Potions Lesson 1- The Cuspis Forix Potion
1. Review the potions making experience you had in class today, what are your initial thoughts and feelings? What are things that came to your attention immediately?
When I first saw the potion we were to make, I thought, 'How simple! What a good choice for our first lesson.' And it turns out, I was quite right. The potion was an easy one, good for getting us back into the swing of potion brewing. But the process was long. Many steps were needed to complete the Cuspis Forix Potion. And I took quick notice that the many details needed close attenion. Elsewise the results wouldn't turn out as desired.
2. Many students always find beer to be an unusual potions ingredient. Why do you think it is vital to this potion? Surmise how it might have been discovered to be a key ingredient for this potion. Why do you think it's necessary that a specific beer brand/type is used? Do you think the potion would work with any other beer?
I found that using beer as an ingredient was very strange indeed. For alcohol causes a distortion in Hand-eye coordination, not an improvement. So how can alcohol be part of this potion's key ingredient, when the potion is meant for bettering one's senses? The only conclusion I could draw was that the beer acted as an antithetical agent. And perhaps, only this specific brand of Guinness could cause the potion to react so unlikely. The ingredience in the Guinness Beer probably contains just the right amount of alcohol, barley, water, hops, and yeast that is needed for the Cuspis Forix Potion.
3. Why is it necessary to use pure, distilled water? What do you think would happen if you didn't?
If normal drinking water was used, different sorts of bacteria could enter the potion and have bad, even fatal, side effects. So it is necesarry to use distilled and purified water. This allows us to know that water, and only H2O, is being added.
4. Summarize what you have learned since making the potion in class.
This potion, like every potion, can teach the brewer valuable tips and skills. With the Cuspis Forix Potion, I learned how patience is an essential attribute. There was lots of waiting, stirring, and more waiting involved in the completion of this Hand-Eye Improving liquid. If the process was rushed, even the slightest, an altered potion could have been the result. Therefore it is important to follow the lesson's instructions to the point.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:08 pm
Name: Kinzoku Tsuchi House: Slytherin Year: Third Potion: Cuspis Forix (Lesson 1)
Submitted in a PM so others eyes do not wander.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:28 am
Ascella Henther Slytherin seventh Year Potions lesson one
1.Review the potions making experience you had in class today, what are your initial thoughts and feelings? What are things that came to your attention immediately?
The potion here was slightly hard to make. The instructions were extremely specific, and we had to make suer that everything was measured to perfection, stirred the correct number of times, and cut to the correct shape and size. I rather enjoyed the potion at the first state, the smell of hot peppermint tickled my nose. The finished project was rather interesting, I was disappointed that I wasn't able to use it, but who knows, that may be our next lesson.
2. Many students always find beer to be an unusual potions ingredient. Why do you think it is vital to this potion? Surmise how it might have been discovered to be a key ingredient for this potion. Why do you think it's necessary that a specific beer brand/type is used? Do you think the potion would work with any other beer?
I guess beer is an unusal substance to some students because it is so common. Water is also common, but it is used as a base, not an additive. Beer may be vital to this, because the herbs and plants in the beer. Of course the alcohol doesn't have much to do with the end product because it is cooked out. The herbs in the beer, such as hops, may have a special type of molecule, or reaction with the other ingredients that change the end result of the potion.
3. Why is it necessary to use pure, distilled water? What do you think would happen if you didn't?
Pure distilled water is of course better of a base, because there are no impurities.Impurities, such as added minerals, flavorings, or even dirt and grime, or lime can effect the reaction between the ingredients in the potion. Maybe the spider eyes wont react to the cungranexactator correctly, maybe the effects of the peppermint changes. Either way, pure, distilled waters with no added minerals are always better for a potion base.
4. Summarize what you have learned since making the potion in class.
In this potions class I learned that you must cut things correct and completely as the instructions say. I learned that the potion must be stirred a certain number of times before adding in the spider eyes. The pure water needs to be brought to a rolling boil before adding the peppermint. I learned that specific instructions are there for a reason. If you don't have pure water, the potion may end up badly, or explode in your face.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:06 am
Lorako Riviere, Gryffindor, 1st year, Potion lesson 1
1. Review the potions making experience you had in class today, what are your initial thoughts and feelings? What are things that came to your attention immediately?
- My first feeling was it would be easy, i love potion, i thought it was like baking a cake. But it was not the same at all, because you need to pay attention to many things and don't mistake in the ingredient or the spells. The things which came to my attention immediately was the ingredient actually, i understood some but i didn't know many of them.
2. Many students always find beer to be an unusual potions ingredient. Why do you think it is vital to this potion? Surmise how it might have been discovered to be a key ingredient for this potion. Why do you think it's necessary that a specific beer brand/type is used? Do you think the potion would work with any other beer?
- I think the potion was needed to clear the potion. If we didn't use it, maybe it would stay in a sort of paste really strange. Hum i think it was a muggle born student who maybe become professor who made experience with muggle drinks and then s/he discovered it had many propreties. I'm not a specialist of beer, but i remember the director of my house who said "A good beer is not a good beer if it's not the good name." So i think maybe it was important. I think the potion might work, but maybe it will not work as good as the one with the right beer.
3. Why is it necessary to use pure, distilled water? What do you think would happen if you didn't?
- I made the mistake so i know why, the professor said "that if i didn't You didn't purify or distill that will affect your potion later in the process. And actually, using the ginger plant stem is going to make this a very poisonous potion. " So i guess i realise it was really important. The impurty in the water can caused the ingredient to change in poisonous things.
4. Summarize what you have learned since making the potion in class.
- I learned that i need to clearly read everything maybe twice to be sure i don't make mistake. I need to use my books to know exactly what i put in the cauldron and i need to pay attention to every details to be sure my potion doesn't become dangerous for someone.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:26 am
Sira Wyrdstalker, 1st Year Ravenclaw Lesson 1 - The Cuspis Forix Potion
1. Review the potions making experience you had in class today, what are your initial thoughts and feelings? What are things that came to your attention immediately?
Being this the first potion I’ve ever prepared in this school year, I did not feel very ready for such. My fear of doing everything wrong made me think that I’d be too slow, but eventually, as we began to prepare the potion, everything followed its course well enough. The instructions were clear and that helped a lot. I am now aware of the importance of having both instruments and ingredients at hand, so that the work will go smoothly, since many ingredients have to be chopped and added in a specific time and doing it too late (because it’s not ready to be added yet) can hinder and harm the final result. Working with unusual ingredients like the spider eyes brought up uneasy feelings in me, but I’m glad that I could ‘overcome’ that and follow all instructions. Also, now I know the importance of protecting both eyes and hands, with possibly goggles and dragon hide protective gloves respectively. Again, related to the importance of having the required supplies at hand.
2. Many students always find beer to be an unusual potions ingredient. Why do you think it is vital to this potion? Surmise how it might have been discovered to be a key ingredient for this potion. Why do you think it's necessary that a specific beer brand/type is used? Do you think the potion would work with any other beer?
Beer must be vital to this potion due to components no other ingredient must possess, at least in this state. Perhaps because it is fermented, perhaps because of the mixture of alcohol and malted barley. It might have been discovered by accident – drinking has been known to be harmful for the completion of potions, but could’ve caused a breakthrough… even if the alchemists don’t quite know how it got there. Since the many types of beer (pale or dark, ale or lager…) exist, using different types of brewing and different ingredients (which results in different flavours and density), I’ll assume that it is necessary to work with a specific type of beer exactly because of how it was made. In this case, having used Guinness, this Irish dark beer might cause a different effect from others due to the particularity of being made with unfermented roasted barley, or because of it’s thickness (again, density being an important factor) when comparing to other beers; so there’s the risk the potion could not work if any type or brand of other beer was used.
3. Why is it necessary to use pure, distilled water? What do you think would happen if you didn't?
The act of distilling and purifying water consists on freeing the water from its impurities and other minerals, as before the water can contain traces of, for example, salt, sand and organic material (depending on what was the raw water source – in this case, tap water). As a result of using both spells (“inflixi putus” and “erkolcstel”), the water becomes clearer and odorless, free of any substance that can undermine the potion making. Thus, I can imagine that using water in its “raw” form could affect the potion’s outcome, producing unplanned reactions with the other ingredients being used and also ultimately making the potion improper (maybe even dangerous) for consumption.
4. Summarize what you have learned since making the potion in class.
I’ve learned how to properly search for something in our textbook, particularly because I didn’t know there was a glossary at the end of it, which can provide important information in a way that is quick and easy to find. I had some trouble getting the measurements right for both water and chopped ingredients, even if they weren’t far from the required. Judging by the potion’s outcome, similar to the one that was intended, I would say it turned out well. However, I will not fall into a sense of false security thinking this will always be the case, so I’ll be more and more careful as the lessons go on. Also, because when I was chopping the cungranexactator my eyes began to water (which delayed me a bit since I couldn’t keep working properly until that passed), like I’ve mentioned before I’ve learned the importance of having the required supplies to protect eyes and hands. If not properly protected, I could be injured should we work with actually dangerous ingredients in the future.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|