|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Chisato-chan Vice Captain
|
Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:07 pm
bunnylover123 Worst forced reading (parent, school, ect.): I think we can all safely agree that that book is most definately The Lord of the Flies. Nope. Loved that book. Read it in eighth grade and liked it then too. XD
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:08 pm
Favorite book: harry potter series Worst book you ever read by your own free will: anne of green gables Worst forced reading (parent, school, ect.): hiroshima Favorite book character: hermione Favorite author: J.K Rowling and Nora Roberts Have you ever yelled at a character while reading?yes....<.<,>.> If so, what was the oddest occurance of you doing this? hmm, I don't really know which one to choose... Currently reading... RAYEARTH
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Chisato-chan Vice Captain
|
Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:42 pm
Finally decided on Notre Dame after debating between that and Wuthering Heights. (my third choice we read anyway this year, so meh.) There's so many books I want to read. I learned that today. Mostly classics. I don't mean to offend anyone, but modern books (especially 99 cent corner store smut) seem poorly written. For example, (I'm going to get killed on this one...) the Harry Potter books were alright, but I can't understand why everyone loves them. I've read so many books that were a heck of a lot better.
Ranting time to y'all. Don't bother reading this. You've probably heard it. I love detail in my books. I love complex plots. I don't like a plot that is, "Sally met Joe. They fell in love, there was a conflict, so they couldn't be together, so they were forbidden lovers and eventually, the world accpts them." I hate romance unless the writing of the author is mind-blowing. I want details, not, "Joe was an average man of average build. He wasn't attractive." WTF?! That tells me nothing! In my head, Joe is now a blob that is ugly! Whoo-hoo! I can see Grantaire. I can see Rochester. And when ugly is said, by what standard of beauty? What is average? Anyway, if you read this, congrats. Reply if you wish.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:27 pm
<.< I love Harry Potter. Why? well what else has anyone else written that's good lately? it doesn't seem as great now perhaps because so many people are writting fantasy fiction recently. Harry Potter started the trend. I read harry Potter in 3rd grade because I got the first three for christmas. I read when I was little, but that was the first book I loved. It was different from anything I'd read before, it was the first large hardcover book I read. you have to realize that that was the age level the books were intended for. It showed you a world that at that age you're more than ready to accept and believe (okay, now this is sounding like one of those lame attempts they use to get small children to read, so I'll wrap it up...) So in short, really the book is simple enough for those of a young age, but the content is complex enough for it to be enjoyable even at an older age. If an adult was to read aloud a book for a child, this was the book. we grew up with it, and besides, I love the characterization. Now that I can read more complex books, ( as in your examples, Jane Eyre, or les Mis) I like to read them, but I doubt i'd be as avid a reader had I not read Harry Potter. so The books you read that were "a heck of a lot better" , would they be books a 3rd grader would be reading? for when they were written, for the age level they were written, that series is one of the best that had been written in a very long time. So I think you should put that into account before saying it was only alright. harry Potter is simpler than what you've read lately, but notice they keep them in the children's section of the library, not even the young adult section. As for why I read them now, they're an enjoyable read, although I don't re-read them as often as I used to. XD i, like you, crave a more complicated read lately. And just because something is more simple isn't a reason not to read it either, I'll still read St. George and the Fiery Dragon and it's just as enjoyable now as it was in first grade. XD
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Chisato-chan Vice Captain
|
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:12 pm
In my opinion, they were just alright. They weren't amazing. They weren't love in written form. And you said, "so The books you read that were "a heck of a lot better" , would they be books a 3rd grader would be reading? for when they were written, for the age level they were written, that series is one of the best that had been written in a very long time. So I think you should put that into account before saying it was only alright." Why? That's just an opinion. I could say that about any book written for young adults. It doesn't make it good because I said so, just as it doesn't make it amazing because you said so.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:34 pm
XD You know you can't take me seriously. I'm biased. I've a soft spot for any suffering hero. Harry takes the title to the extreme. only one who beats that is possibly Frodo...XD needless to say, I loved Frodo.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Chisato-chan Vice Captain
|
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:40 pm
Yeah, too much so. So much that he was almost obnoxious. I liked the twins and Krum.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:59 pm
Frodo was more annoying than Harry. XD but I still loved him anyway. he was okay throughout the first one, my favorite part was when he got stabbed...XD that was an okay amount of suffering hero, suffers, but gets past it then is like "okay, lets go save the world" but by the third one, everything he said consisted of "oh, this burden I alone can carry!". I laughed when he was kidnapped by goblins at the end of the second one. It struck me as really funny Sam just left him then was like "oh crap, wait he's still alive" Aragorn was my favorite, closely followed by Gandalf. cause both were wicked sweet. And I liked Gollum, and...well pretty much the entire groupie. I didn't like Boromir cause he tried to rape Frodo...XD But Faramir was cool. As for Harry Potter, my favorite character was Sirius. I absolutely loved him. And I liked Lupin. If you're going by the books, I didn't really like Krum actually, I liked how they portrayed him in the movie though...only like 3 lines though, wasn't it? XD
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Chisato-chan Vice Captain
|
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:20 am
I loved Boromir! Sure, he was a rapist, but still! He so pwned Legolas. (And Frodo was a r0xx0r of sorts.)
As for Krum, I didn't really like him in the movie, but forced myself to do so because I loved him in the book so much. Oh, and of course Lupin. I liked him quite a bit and I'm not sure how I forgot him! XD
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:21 am
Will you make fun of me if I say I don't know what r0xx0r means? Yeah, Lupin was amazing. maybe you forgot him cause they didn't portray him half as amazing in the movie. I was a bit disappointed at first,but I'm starting to get used to him. Same with Mad Eye. I didn't imagine him like that at all, but after seeing it I thought they did a good job with him.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Chisato-chan Vice Captain
|
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:22 pm
A r0xx0r is one who rocks, in 1337 sp33k. I hate the movie Lupin. Never will I be able to tolerate him.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:55 pm
I'm not the biggest reader but here it goes...
Favorite book: It may be childish but I still love the book The Giving Tree Worst book you ever read by your own free will: Nickel and Dimed Worst forced reading (parent, school, ect.): Night by far Favorite book character: Atticus Finch Favorite author: Who ever came up with the brilliant idea of making the book, Do Penguins Have Knees? in my old science room. Have you ever yelled at a character while reading? yeah If so, what was the oddest occurance of you doing this? I was reading Lord of the Flies in study hall and I yelled "SHUT UP YOU FAT PIG!" at Piggy. Needless to say, people around me stared at me funny. Currently reading... Nothing but we're starting Pride and Prejudice in school pretty soon.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:00 pm
Oh yes, Lord of the Flies. XD Good times. Just remembered an instance of me yelling out loud at a character: "He only left because he wants your attention Ralph! Can't you see you were meant to be!!!" my god, you should have seen the look on my mother's face. I was in the family room, everyone was talking but then just stopped and stared at me till I noticed. XD
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:58 am
...No comment....
I'm currently reading Lolita. Everyone should have to read this book. I don't feel Lo is a victim at all! Humbert seems more so. He's a suffering hero and the author leaves you feeling pity for a *****! The writing is lovely and I'm almost done.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
Chisato-chan Vice Captain
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:03 pm
I just finished reading some trash, in other words In Her Shoes. I am in the middle of Mirror, Mirror. Its not as great as the other Gregory Maguire books I've read but maybe I should finish reading it before I comment... especially since this is Gregory Maguire I am talking about .
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|