Welcome to Gaia! ::

Refuge: The Society of Jesus - A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Discussions with fellow Christians, open to all to come and find info. on Christianity, and discussions 

Tags: Jesus God, Debate and Discuss, Christian, Religion, Love 

Reply Debate and Discussion
Cutting/Self Harm Goto Page: [|«] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Angel of the End
Vice Captain
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:42 pm


I am going to lock this for now due to some minor issues. If anyone wishes to post, I will unlock it, as long as it is not to spread hate, misunderstanding, and really just being a heartless douche against people who suffer and who have suffered from this, and other horrific things in their life... we should be here to love and serve: and part of loving other people is feeling their pain and feeling for them, as well: not just brushing it off as meaning nothing.

Even Christ cried when his followers had a friend who died. "Jesus wept", so if after what he had gone though and what he was sent to do, he felt sorrow and love for his friends, so should we.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:54 am


I will post this. I am sorry if I have offended anybody. I refuse to believe that I am spreading hate. I'm just being blunt and straightforward. People who are afflicted in pain need help, and action, not just idle conjecture. With all thy praying and hoping that they get better, go out and reach for them, don't just pray for them. I was trying to portray that, nothing else. Just because I believe that actions were brought upon the person themselves, does not mean I condemn them. I still place my heart for them, and want them to recover. I was just stating the fact of the matter, they were the ones that made the first cut, not satan, and therefore, they need to realize this before the atonement can truly take place. Repentance is a process, not a hope. And to be truly repentant takes time, for the act must cease before true repentance has been wrought in a person. I care for people, I care for a lot of people, hence why I strive for them to truly recover, not just accept that they are sinning, but desire for them to stop sinning, because I know that when they have stopped sinning, they will truly see the light. I will relock this debate, but I feel that locking it is ridiculous. It is a discussion thread, if you do not want it to be discussed, delete it. If you do not agree with what I say, then ban me. But may you know, that I am LDS, and I help just as many people every day as every other Christian out there, and I strive for those individuals and hope, and pray, just as any other Christian out there. So I strive that this guild may promote understanding, through discussion, rather than people just refusing to admit that we all think differently.

Someoneiknow


mazuac
Crew

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:16 pm


There are a lot of reasons for self-harm.

First of all. The pain distracts/blots out the pain one may feel from a loss, death, etc.

Also, when you are hurt, your body releases endorphins, to make you feel a bit "happier." I suppose.

It is not to make a statement. I know a lot of people who cut.

And also, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYXtzEcEFFk

She is one of our vice-captains.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:18 pm


mazuac
There are a lot of reasons for self-harm.

First of all. The pain distracts/blots out the pain one may feel from a loss, death, etc.

Also, when you are hurt, your body releases endorphins, to make you feel a bit "happier." I suppose.

It is not to make a statement. I know a lot of people who cut.

And also, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYXtzEcEFFk

She is one of our vice-captains.



I'm sure there are lots of reasons why people cut, and some times it so happens to be to make a statement. I don't pass judgement on those who do it though, because I have no room to talk. But I'm not going to sit there and tell some one who does cut that I hope they get better and then do nothing to try and help then get over that harmful habit. Yea, I will pray for them, but I'm also going to help that individual to take actions to stop harming themselves.
And that video was kind of sad... sad but it's good that the maker of the video overcame her addiction. I really sincerely hope that every one will be able to, because it is so amazing to have that freedom from bondage! And I want to be able to help people to overcome their trials too.

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter


mazuac
Crew

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:20 pm


Shadows-shine
mazuac
There are a lot of reasons for self-harm.

First of all. The pain distracts/blots out the pain one may feel from a loss, death, etc.

Also, when you are hurt, your body releases endorphins, to make you feel a bit "happier." I suppose.

It is not to make a statement. I know a lot of people who cut.

And also, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYXtzEcEFFk

She is one of our vice-captains.



I'm sure there are lots of reasons why people cut, and some times it so happens to be to make a statement. I don't pass judgement on those who do it though, because I have no room to talk. But I'm not going to sit there and tell some one who does cut that I hope they get better and then do nothing to try and help then get over that harmful habit. Yea, I will pray for them, but I'm also going to help that individual to take actions to stop harming themselves.
And that video was kind of sad... sad but it's good that the maker of the video overcame her addiction. I really sincerely hope that every one will be able to, because it is so amazing to have that freedom from bondage! And I want to be able to help people to overcome their trials too.
Of course! We can not sit back and do nothing while a person, a fellow human, harms themselves. In any way. If it is hitting themselves, beating themselves emotionally, or cutting.

When we call ourselves names. When we think "why can't I look like THAT person!?" "Why do I suck at this?" Are we not "cutting" ourselves emotionally? God judges the heart. Our bodies, yes, are temples. But temples are not perfect. And neither are we. They can collapse, fall apart, erode and fail.

Cutting is just as bad as saying "Why don't I look like that?" The difference: The scars that are left behind.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:08 pm


mazuac
Shadows-shine
mazuac
There are a lot of reasons for self-harm.

First of all. The pain distracts/blots out the pain one may feel from a loss, death, etc.

Also, when you are hurt, your body releases endorphins, to make you feel a bit "happier." I suppose.

It is not to make a statement. I know a lot of people who cut.

And also, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYXtzEcEFFk

She is one of our vice-captains.



I'm sure there are lots of reasons why people cut, and some times it so happens to be to make a statement. I don't pass judgement on those who do it though, because I have no room to talk. But I'm not going to sit there and tell some one who does cut that I hope they get better and then do nothing to try and help then get over that harmful habit. Yea, I will pray for them, but I'm also going to help that individual to take actions to stop harming themselves.
And that video was kind of sad... sad but it's good that the maker of the video overcame her addiction. I really sincerely hope that every one will be able to, because it is so amazing to have that freedom from bondage! And I want to be able to help people to overcome their trials too.
Of course! We can not sit back and do nothing while a person, a fellow human, harms themselves. In any way. If it is hitting themselves, beating themselves emotionally, or cutting.

When we call ourselves names. When we think "why can't I look like THAT person!?" "Why do I suck at this?" Are we not "cutting" ourselves emotionally? God judges the heart. Our bodies, yes, are temples. But temples are not perfect. And neither are we. They can collapse, fall apart, erode and fail.

Cutting is just as bad as saying "Why don't I look like that?" The difference: The scars that are left behind.


The is really no difference between "emotional cutting" as you called it, and "physical cutting". The physical cutting scars are visible. But All of it leaves behind scars.
We, as humans, are our worst critics. I believe that God created us all perfectly, but we cannot/choose not see that through our finite and mortal eyes. We don't look at ourselves the way God does. The Bible says He has made every thing beautiful in it's time and that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. To me that is saying that we are all perfect, and beautiful in His sight. But yet, we don't see that, so we think up thoughts, create actions, bad things happen, etc. and we tear ourselves apart with criticism and other things instead of turning back to God and saying "Father, I'm sorry! Can I lean on You for strength and comfort?" or simply asking Him to unveil our eyes to see who we truly are.
Yes, we are only human, and God understands that. When I was younger, I felt so ashamed, like I could never be forgiven for what I did, but God is faithful and just to forgive. We have to be on our knees in prayer, asking for His help and leaning on others as well.

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter


Imitation Stradivarius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:06 pm


Someoneiknow
Imitation Stradivarius
Then please don't assume that the reason behind your friends' self mutilation is the same as mine. I feel insulted. I harmed myself so I wouldn't harm others, not because I wanted to voice a silent opinion. I was not, and am not that passive.

I agree with you about self mutilation not letting Jesus work in someone. It's idolatry.


I'm not assuming you, I'm generalizing the populace that does do it. You weren't doing it so that you wouldn't harm others. I'm sorry but you are trying to make your act more chivalrous than it really is. It is not an act of bravery that you mutilated your arms. It is an act of selfish desire. The desire to show the immense pain that you supposedly feel in an outward expression. And this is an internet debate site, you posted it, I'm providing the insight.


By generalizing the populace, you are disregarding other factors that could be the key element causing self harm. By generalizing the populace, you disregard the fact that scars are trophies of what a cutter has endured.
By generalzing the populace, you can never get what cutting is all about. It's just like drugs, or drinking. It's to forget, to feel better for that temporary moment.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:30 am


Imitation Stradivarius
Someoneiknow
Imitation Stradivarius
Then please don't assume that the reason behind your friends' self mutilation is the same as mine. I feel insulted. I harmed myself so I wouldn't harm others, not because I wanted to voice a silent opinion. I was not, and am not that passive.

I agree with you about self mutilation not letting Jesus work in someone. It's idolatry.


I'm not assuming you, I'm generalizing the populace that does do it. You weren't doing it so that you wouldn't harm others. I'm sorry but you are trying to make your act more chivalrous than it really is. It is not an act of bravery that you mutilated your arms. It is an act of selfish desire. The desire to show the immense pain that you supposedly feel in an outward expression. And this is an internet debate site, you posted it, I'm providing the insight.


By generalizing the populace, you are disregarding other factors that could be the key element causing self harm. By generalizing the populace, you disregard the fact that scars are trophies of what a cutter has endured.
By generalzing the populace, you can never get what cutting is all about. It's just like drugs, or drinking. It's to forget, to feel better for that temporary moment.


Some times to make an analysis, and to create an opinion, generalizing is necessary. The topic itself seemed like a general topic, so responses were given in generalized fashion

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter


Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:13 am


Imitation Stradivarius
Someoneiknow
Imitation Stradivarius
Then please don't assume that the reason behind your friends' self mutilation is the same as mine. I feel insulted. I harmed myself so I wouldn't harm others, not because I wanted to voice a silent opinion. I was not, and am not that passive.

I agree with you about self mutilation not letting Jesus work in someone. It's idolatry.


I'm not assuming you, I'm generalizing the populace that does do it. You weren't doing it so that you wouldn't harm others. I'm sorry but you are trying to make your act more chivalrous than it really is. It is not an act of bravery that you mutilated your arms. It is an act of selfish desire. The desire to show the immense pain that you supposedly feel in an outward expression. And this is an internet debate site, you posted it, I'm providing the insight.


By generalizing the populace, you are disregarding other factors that could be the key element causing self harm. By generalizing the populace, you disregard the fact that scars are trophies of what a cutter has endured.
By generalzing the populace, you can never get what cutting is all about. It's just like drugs, or drinking. It's to forget, to feel better for that temporary moment.


Didn't I just state that for the last sentence? Anywho, the topic was posted in a generalized fashion. If you want to talk about one specific individual who cuts, then do so, and we will talk about that one individual to gain a better analysis. But the topic was general, so I posted general.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:36 pm


Generalization: All Christians are bible thumping morons.
Fact: Only some.

Generalization: All goths worship Satan.
Fact: Probably less than 5%

Generalization: All people who wear mini skirts are sluts
Fact: Not really, some just like how it looks.

Generalization: If someone makes good grades, they'll be successful
Fact: Not always

Generalization: Hispanic men are controlling.
Fact: That is just a stupid sterotype that in most cases is false.

Angel of the End
Vice Captain

Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:41 pm


Angel of the End
Generalization: All Christians are bible thumping morons.
Fact: Only some.

Generalization: All goths worship Satan.
Fact: Probably less than 5%

Generalization: All people who wear mini skirts are sluts
Fact: Not really, some just like how it looks.

Generalization: If someone makes good grades, they'll be successful
Fact: Not always

Generalization: Hispanic men are controlling.
Fact: That is just a stupid sterotype that in most cases is false.


yes, also a part of that was opinion, I stated opinions from personal experience. If you want more, ask for it.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:43 am


Someoneiknow
Imitation Stradivarius
Someoneiknow
Imitation Stradivarius
Then please don't assume that the reason behind your friends' self mutilation is the same as mine. I feel insulted. I harmed myself so I wouldn't harm others, not because I wanted to voice a silent opinion. I was not, and am not that passive.

I agree with you about self mutilation not letting Jesus work in someone. It's idolatry.


I'm not assuming you, I'm generalizing the populace that does do it. You weren't doing it so that you wouldn't harm others. I'm sorry but you are trying to make your act more chivalrous than it really is. It is not an act of bravery that you mutilated your arms. It is an act of selfish desire. The desire to show the immense pain that you supposedly feel in an outward expression. And this is an internet debate site, you posted it, I'm providing the insight.


By generalizing the populace, you are disregarding other factors that could be the key element causing self harm. By generalizing the populace, you disregard the fact that scars are trophies of what a cutter has endured.
By generalzing the populace, you can never get what cutting is all about. It's just like drugs, or drinking. It's to forget, to feel better for that temporary moment.


Didn't I just state that for the last sentence? Anywho, the topic was posted in a generalized fashion. If you want to talk about one specific individual who cuts, then do so, and we will talk about that one individual to gain a better analysis. But the topic was general, so I posted general.


Fine....Let's gain a better analysis on me, then. Or someone else who wants to put their shame under the microscope.

Imitation Stradivarius


Angel of the End
Vice Captain
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:08 am


Invading personal space and individual rights? Sounds like the government sweatdrop
Well, that's unrelated. Anyways, continue.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:51 am


Angel of the End
Invading personal space and individual rights? Sounds like the government sweatdrop
Well, that's unrelated. Anyways, continue.


Like I said, to post a general thread, you make a general analysis. If we want to get personal, then ask. But me stating my opinion about a general area =/= me hating despising and persecuting those individuals.

Someoneiknow

Reply
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [|«] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]
 
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games
//
//

// //

Have an account? Login Now!

//
//