Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply L-Space Lives! A Discworld Guild
RP/G: The Watch Goto Page: [|«] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheWolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:50 am


OOC: I'm going to be on holiday for the next two weeks. I might get a chance to post while I'm away, but I can't guarantee it. Just to let you all know.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:18 am


(ooc) Just as well, I'm waiting on certain third parties before the story can continue, so at least you guys won't be waiting impatiently.
Incidentally now is a good time for anyone else to join in. I figure if I say that enough somebody will eventually. (ooc)

RandomSamurai
Crew


RandomSamurai
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:18 am


(ooc) At the risk of repeating myself: I've noticed one or two new members, if you're interested now would be a very good time to write yourself into the story. Read through a few posts to get the hang of things then create a character. Only rules are make them discworldy, original and a rookie, you only just joined the force a day or two ago, maybe you've been round a bit longer if strictly necessary.
And I don't mind at all if you already have characters i other threads. (ooc)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:42 am


Elspeth scowled. She scowled most of the time, actually, it being the natural facial expression of a gnome. But nothing deepened a scowl like having to take care of the... horrible... damned... pigeons.

Actually, judging from their names, Constable Visit's pigeons were far from damned. She was feeding Zebedinah now. Visit had explained how St. Zebedinah had been martyred for her faith by being suspended head down in a vat of farmer's cheese, and was now sitting at the right appendage of Om reading holy pamphlets unto eternity, etc. Whatever. The saint's namesake had an evil glint in her eye, and Elspeth had to keep dodging snaps of a surprisingly sharp beak as she ducked in and deposited the corn. She'd fight the filthy things, but it wouldn't be worth it.

Besides, they were still trying to find her a sword. She'd taken the oath -


"I comma square bracket recruit's name square bracket comma do solemnly swear by square bracket recruit's deity of choice square bracket to uphold the Laws and Ordinances of the city of Ankh-Morpork, serve the public truft comma and defend the fubjects of His ftroke Her bracket delete whichever is inappropriate bracket Majefty bracket name of reigning monarch bracket without fear comma favour comma or thought of perfonal fafety semi-colon to purfue evildoers and protect the innocent comma laying down my life if necefsary in the caufe of said duty comma so help me bracket aforefaid deity bracket full stop Gods Save the King stroke Queen bracket delete whichever is inappropriate bracket full stop."

- and had promptly been issued... nothing. Constable Swires hadn't taken a liking to her - most male gnomes didn't - and had neglected to explain where he'd gone to get the miniature sword and armor he sported proudly. Colon had given her a pin. It was an travesty, that's what it was. A travesty. How was she supposed to fight with a pin? Sure, she had her forehead, but....

She continued laying out the corn for the psychotic birds and sighed. Her dreams of flying were nowhere near off the ground. Her pictsie instincts were seething, unreleased. There was nothing to fight. She was the law now, so there was nothing to steal (obviously she hadn't been on patrol with Nobby yet). And there was nothing to...

...drink.... Wait a minute. What was this Watchmen's pub she'd heard about? The Bucket.


"Auchtahelweit," Elspeth muttered, dropped the bag of corn, and set off for a pint.

evie_vie


kustross

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:53 pm


These past few weeks had been a pain for Ddar Pinthunter. First, he lost his job at Burleigh and Stronginthearm's since the contracts had expired. Ddar had no clue what a "pink slip" was until he opened up his lunchpale and found a pink piece of paper that said:

"Due to the refent cuttbakf in goverment spending,
we are haveing to let go several memberf off ore
staff, we appreciate your long servife with the
company, and wish you the beft of lukk."

Ddar stared at the paper, hoping that he looked at it in just the right light, he would see, "just kidding!" written on there. Ddar went around to the other armorsmiths to see who might be hiring, but luck was not with him. He eventually heard about the Watch hiring from some of his friends, but the fact that they were snickering and quaffing their pints at the same time made Ddar uneasy a this job prospect. "A job is a job!" He declared loudly, and walked to the watch house.

Ddar looked at the portly man, who in turn, stared back at the dwarf. "Tides must change as this man walks around," thought Ddar; while SGT Colon looked at what must have been a dwarf, but the nose seemed to shove everything else on his face around for more room. "Are you here to enlist?"

The question broke Ddar's train of thought, and it needed a few seconds as the conductor looked quickly for another set of tracks. "Oh, yes, yes, I am. I am imminately qualified to serve as a watchman. I have been under the employ of Burleigh and Stronginthearm for several years now...." He stopped giving his practised speech when he saw that SGT Colon was talking to a.... he couldn't quite place the creature that the sergeant was talking to. It had a head, two arms, two legs, a torse, but it resembled a... nothing that Ddar could think of.

"Yes, yes, we of the Watch are always glad to have Dwarves come on board. Burleigh and Stronginthearm, eh? CPL Nobbs here says that we have need of someone familiar with their handywork on the force, and you sound perfect. If you could just repeat after me..."

"I comma square bracket recruit's name square bracket comma do solemnly swear by square bracket recruit's deity of choice square bracket to uphold the Laws and Ordinances of the city of Ankh-Morpork, serve the public truft comma and defend the fubjects of His ftroke Her bracket delete whichever is inappropriate bracket Majefty bracket name of reigning monarch bracket without fear comma favour comma or thought of perfonal fafety semi-colon to purfue evildoers and protect the innocent comma laying down my life if necefsary in the caufe of said duty comma so help me bracket aforefaid deity bracket full stop Gods Save the King stroke Queen bracket delete whichever is inappropriate bracket full stop."

Ddar smiled as he finished the oath. It was a proper oath, the more brackets in it, the more binding it was, and this one had more brackets than any other oath he ever took before.

CPL Nobbs said, "Walk this way," and went down a corridor as SGT Colon heaved himself from behind his desk to walk over to several people gathering in the courtyard, and began giving the oath a second time. After another few seconds of Ddar trying to walk like Nobbs, he gave up, and walked in his own normal way, with the clanking of his tools on his belt that sounded like the brass section of an orchestra had just fallen down the stairs. Nobbs led Ddar to a small room in the basement, located next to a room used by an Igor, Ddar noticed. When Ddar looked into the room, he was agast, and clutched his hand to his chest as he looked at the state of the "arms room" as Nobbs called it.

Ddar rolled up his sleeves as he walked into the room, and began sorting the equipment into "ufeful," "salvagable," and "reforge." Ddar lost track of time as he quickly sorted the breastplates, truncheons, and crossbows. Some of these crossbows weren't even Burleigh and Stronginthearm. Mark III Hines Brothers? Did the Hines Brothers even make crossbows anymore? When Ddar went back up to the surface, he noticed that it was dark, and he wanted a pint to sooth his nerves after a long day of repairing crossbows and making new truncheons on the lathe that had been buried by some old breastplates and boots. Ddar lifted his head, and took a sniff which lasted several minutes as the air around him thinned out, and Ddar got the scent of ale in a nearby bar, and walked over towards The Bucket.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:57 pm


(OOC: Haha! Pinthunter! I love it.)

evie_vie


evie_vie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:35 pm


"Pint," said a voice.

Mr. Cheese, the Bucket's barkeep, looked around. Then looked down. Ah. A gnome. He smiled inwardly. Gnomes were good customers. Good customers. Known for their tolerance.

He looked again. The figure standing on the bar sported a long braid, and the small voice was more high-pitched than usual. A female gnome - and from the fiery red of her hair, likely a Feegle! That was rare enough to make Cheese blink, which he didn't do often.

"Pint, barkeep," the gnome repeated.

"Of what, miss?" What did women drink, anyway? Angua usually had fruit juice. Cheery Littlebottom enjoyed a chilled chardonnay.

"Lance-Constable," the girl said proudly, pointing to the pea-sized badge on her vest. "And whatever ye got that comes in pints." She looked down at her feet - she was standing on an old copy of the Ankh-Morpork Times. "And what's this part about the truth makin' ye into a tree?"

"New to town, then?" Cheese said absently, pouring her a slightly short pint of his slightly below average beer. A gnome's a gnome, then, and a copper's a copper, he thought.

"Just give me the beer," Elspeth grumbled, circled the pint glass with an arm and headed down the barstool to get a table.

There was a dwarf in the bar. (She never minded drinking with dwarves, despite the quaffing problem - she'd never thought of getting beer dumped on her head as a BAD thing.) Elspeth noticed he had on a badge - the new recruits were pouring in, then. She clambered up the chair and onto the table, dipped the thimble Cheese had provided into the pint glass, and took a swig. "So yer new, too?" she said.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:30 pm


Ddar looked over at Mr Cheese. "Barkeep, a pint of ale please," and sat down next to Elspeth. "Howyadoin'? Name's Ddar Pintfinder. I just signed up this morning, and they had me working all day in their armoury as they call it. A lot of weapons and such down there, and in bad shape. I figure I can get it up and running again in a couple of weeks, depending on how bad off the breastplates are." As Ddar spoke, he turned his head, looking around the tavern. As if his large nose wasn't bad enough, he kept his beard trimmed relatively short (for a Dwarf) so that it looked like a rectangle that had a face for the top half. It had so much hair gel in it that when he turned his head, you could almost hear the air getting sliced, and the edes of his beard looked like they could cut through marble. "Did you know they have an Igor working for the Watch. I didn't get a chance to speak to... him? But they are useful folk to have around ; there were a few near our Clan in the Uberwald. I hear the Watch even has a Troll working for them. Haven't met him yet, but I remember we had Troll problems in the Uberwald. You know anything about this Troll? I never had to.... talk with one outside of using my axe as a tongue. So, whereabouts are you from?"

kustross


evie_vie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:07 pm


"Oh, the clan's up in the Ramtop foothills," Elspeth said, "but me, I've been around and about, around and about...." She trailed off, thinking of her home and the times her favorite brother, Big Sane Bertie, would take her up on the buzzard.... best times of her life, really.... She snapped out of the reverie. "This troll yer talkin' about, would that be Sgt. Detritus? I hear he's not so thick as the rest of 'em. Never really had a problem with trolls myself," she added, since it was smart to be on good terms with a species that was immune to a good strong headbutt between the eyes. "Now this Igor fella, him I'd like ta meet. Hear he's got these tomatoes, y'know... mean ones. Killer tomatoes that attack."

She looked sidelong at Ddar and took another swig of her beer. (Pintfinder, eh? Looks like he's livin' up to his name, she thought as the sharp-bearded Watchman took a good quaff. Dwarves get all the best names.) "Sooooo.... in this armory, then, did ye happen to see any... swords? Like about yea big?" She held her arms a Feegle-sword's length apart, then pulled out her pin. "'Cause Sgt. Colon stuck me with this." She paused. "By which I mean, he presented it to me, rather than pokin' me with it. So yer an arms man, are ye?"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:33 pm


"Yeah, I'm the armorer now, I guess. I was telling SGT Colon, big guy right? Red face, has a... a... a thing called Nobbs with him a lot? I told him that I worked for Burleigh and Stronginthearm, and got a pink slip from them." Holds out a tattered pink piece of paper. "He stopped listening to me after that 'cause he was talking to Nobbs, and then Nobbs showed me to the arms room. I didn't see any swords your size, but there were some old breastplates that are useless except for scrap. I could prolly make a good sword and some armor out of that fer ye in a couple o' days." He starts to stroke his beard as he thinks about making miniature armor. Nodding his head up and down as he makes out a small mental list of things he'll need to make the sword. "Ach, blast it!" He stops stroking his beard and puts his bloody thumb in his mouth as though that can stop the bleeding from a vicious beard-cut. "Hmmm.... I don't... That stings it does.... I don't recall seeing any killer tomatoes. I hear though that there's a newspaper in this city, and they might be interested in seeing it. Oh, I have a strangely shaped lintel that might be news worthy. Looks just like Lord Vetinari, it does. Barkeep! Another round over here!" Ddar picks up his newly filled mug, and quaffs it the way his old gram showed him: drinking half of it, with the other half going down his beard before spilling out onto the table. Ddar puts his mug down, "As for, Detritus, you say? I haven't met the Troll; I only heard that the watch has a Troll, and I hear they even have a Golem, and its got a tongue too! The Golem I mean, not the Troll, though I'm sure the Troll has a tongue."

kustross


lordofthevampyres
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:28 pm


Drake, in a very vampirical manner, stepped out from the shadows that didn't even seem to be there. He took one look at the floor of the bar, and swore to himself that he did not want to know what that was. It seemed a bit like bl... no. It wouldn't be. And if it was, so what? I don't need any. He rolled himself a Jolly sailor, and asked the bartender "Whaddayagot?"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:15 am


((Sorry for vanishing off like that. Also great posts from kustross and evie_vie, evie that first post had me in histerics, like reading actual Pratchett, awesome work! Now I can shame myself with my feeble posts.))

Wolf followed Drake and Archi into the Bucket, and didn't notice too many differences between this place and the Drum, well apart from the absence of serious violence, and that it resembled a bar more than it resembled a war.

Not dissuaded by his earlier experiences, Wolf ordered a pint of beer from the barkeep, hoping that this time whatever liquid filled his tankard would at the very least do a good impression of being a refreshing alcoholic beverage.

TheWolf


kustross

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:28 am


"More Watchmen! Come on over here and join us!" said Ddar. It looked as though he got as much ale on him and around him than in him. He swung back to the table and the tools that he had on him made a clanging sound like a silverware drawer tipped out onto the floor, and his overly gelled beard took out a small chunk of chair as he pivoted in the chair to reach for another mug of ale. "I'm Ddar Pintfinder, an' this... this... is my buddy Elspeth." He said as he patted the back of a chair that at first looked vacant.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:24 pm


"Nice t'meecha," slurred Elspeth, teetering on the edge of drunkenness (and on the edge of her nearly empty glass, as she tilted it and dipped the thimble in again). "We're bran'-new around here - you ol'-timers got any advice for a coupla raw recruits? Good people t' know, bad people t' know, what that thing that looks like a monkey inna corporal's outfit is?" She paused, trying to remember something through the beer haze.... "Ohyeah. Names. Y'got those, too?"

evie_vie


lordofthevampyres
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:31 am


"I'm Drake. Drake Hula. I am sorry to tell you I know who this monkey you speak of is. He is what they call nobby. I find the name to be quite appropriate. He is suppsedly Human, although I've got my doubts. He's the one thing in the Watch my family would not sink their teeth into. Which is saying something. I understand that he's a good guy, so that takes care of the gender issue, although, again, I've got my doubts." He was waiting. He wanted to see how honest these people were. Would they speak to a vampire? There are certain people, up from where Drake was from, whose only words to a vampire were "are ye a vampyr'? " and wouldn't wait for an answer.
Reply
L-Space Lives! A Discworld Guild

Goto Page: [|«] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]
 
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games
//
//

// //

Have an account? Login Now!

//
//