Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Childfree Guild
Harassed IRL regarding childfree status? Goto Page: [|«] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you been harassed IRL for being CF?
YES!
66%
 66%  [ 14 ]
Not yet, thankfully...
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 21



Mysterious Brett


High-functioning Lunatic

20,015 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:58 pm


DangerSqueezit
Mostly just everyone saying that I'm gonna change my mind when my biological clock starts ticking.


I'll show them evil


I think my biological clock needs batteries. xp
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:34 pm


If I ever feel a yerning for a kid, I'll do the sane thing and buy a cat or two.

Bree-bunny


xenerayx

Versatile Lunatic

9,150 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:49 pm


neutral The only thing I get when I talk about not wanting to be married or have children is the "Well we'll always support you no matter what."
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:55 pm


Lucky.

Bree-bunny


xenerayx

Versatile Lunatic

9,150 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:23 pm


Bree-bunny
Lucky.
Yeah, but it also sucks when people lie right to your face. Especially your own family. neutral
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:32 am


I get s**t all the time from people telling me "One day it will happen." They, even parents, have been telling me the same crap ever since I was 14 and now that I am 23, my mind never changed. I will never fall in love, get married, and have kids. It isn't happening. I am still stuck filling the wishes of my parent's needs with no independence of my own at all and if I ever do live on my own, I do not ever want to take care of any other human ever again. Just me, myself, and my plants, animals, job, my brain, and video games. Children will never be in my future. If I ever did (In some alternate universe) want to have children, I would adopt.

Agahnim

Profitable Cutesmasher

3,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Guardian Anu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:47 pm


Yami Mirai
Tell people that you're part of a cult that requires its members to sacrifice their first-born child to some obscure dark god, and since you don't wish to make that sacrifice yourself, that is why you're never having kids.
See what their reactions would be. xd


Actually, that sounds kind of fun. I'll have to try that some time. whee


That sounds awesome. pirate
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:04 pm


Angelic Celestia
And, the question is begged: why is it that idiots are allowed to reproduce? gonk


They're the only ones willing.

Guardian Anu


Guardian Anu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:11 pm


I don't get it too badly. I used to get it a lot from my MIL, but she's stopped. Of course I'm probably junxing myself saying that. She'll probably bring it up sometime again. rolleyes

I don't talk to too many strangers. When I went to get my IUD inserted a few weeks ago, a couple nurses asked me "How many kids do you have?"

I thought that was pretty presumptuous. I smiled my biggest smile (honestly wasn't pushing it, I was very happy to say it- maybe it was the drugs) "None!" and they didn't continue on with that conversation.

In Mexico a few people asked about it. ONe of them was adamant to know why and I said "I don't want the responsibility" he was like "That's not a reason!" I was like "uh... ok well I have so many reasons, really-"
"Just pick one."
"Ok but it will offend you."
"Nothing offends me."
"No really, people think I am a total c**t when I say it."
"Just say it."
"I find babies absolutely repugnant."

Tah-Dahhh!

And another lady, a nurse, said, after I told her my husband and I are not having kids....

"That's very smart."
I was floored.

Another woman said "I wished I was in your shoes..."

mrgreen
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:52 pm


Yami Mirai
Tell people that you're part of a cult that requires its members to sacrifice their first-born child to some obscure dark god, and since you don't wish to make that sacrifice yourself, that is why you're never having kids.
See what their reactions would be. xd


Actually, that sounds kind of fun. I'll have to try that some time. whee


Haha... I'll have to try that! xd

Anyways, at family gatherings I'll sometimes get the "When you have kids..." or "Are you planning on having kids when you grow up?" With the former I'll just keep my yap shut to avoid any further arguements which may arise, and with the latter I'll just say that I don't really want kids, and for the most part that conversation will end there (occasionally I'll have to explain my reasoning, while all my aunts/uncles/etc. go on about how absolutely wonderful the little crotch-droppings are... but whatever...).

My mom sometimes that i'll probably change my mind eventually, but she'll support me no matter what (though I think she does want grandkids, and I have no clue where my bro stands on the matter of kids)... but my mom dosn't really bring it up often... just once in a blue moon it'll come up.

DreamerSpirit


XeeReiji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:23 am


rofl That story is so riduculous it almost sounds fake rofl but I believe it I have no doubt in my mind that it is true rofl I don't get harassed...... directly.... I am pretty sure there are a few subtle harassment going on but nothing to directly. I know whenever I remind my mom of my values she gets this worried look on her face..... then she talks about how "People change with time" and blah blah blah. But I have never really been directly harassed no no I still think I am a few years off from getting that. I don't work in the real world
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:54 am


Three weeks ago (maybe more), I went in and had a pilonidal abscess drained. It was extremely painful. The nurse said, "This is nothing, wait 'til you have kids!"
"Hell no!" I retorted.

The nurse that comes in to change my packing and dressing got into that conversation with me, too. She's pregnant, and I didn't want to give her my full reasons because, well... I'm in a position where I don't want to offend her. razz (Hello? There's an open wound in my back!) This was last week. I said I have no interest, I don't like children, my job has helped contribute to that (I work(ed) at a grocery store, and before that, at a garage), I have little threshold for pain, etc., etc. No interest in what I want, it's always, "Oh, don't worry, you'll change your mind!"

It has started popping up more regularly as of late. I also - or so my doctor thinks, but she isn't sure - have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. My previous nurse told me I should go to a specialist, as it could render me sterile. "That's not a problem for me," I pointed out. Again, told I would change my mind. I do have the symptoms for PCOS, and if it will render me sterile -- great! Perfect!

Now, when I tell my mother - to placate her and get her off my back - that I might adopt one day, she tells me, "But it's not easy!"
"I know, from the stories you told about adopting me. However, it would be easier for me than going through pregnancy and childbirth."
I really, really do not want children. I would like to do something to help the kids that are in the system, because they're treated like s**t, but I don't want any. It seems that since I'm injured, the pressure has been increasing.

The most annoying part is when a male tries to prove my position to be "wrong" or "ignorant". YOU don't have to push it out, so shut up and screw off. stare

Keistera


foomonster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:08 pm


No one really harasses me since no one really asks me if I want kids or not. I guess when someone does ask me I'll just say that I'm childfree and when someone harasses me for it I'll say that even if I did have a kid it wouldn't make a difference since social services would probably take it away within a week (because really, that's what WOULD happen). And my parents don't give me s**t about it since they know parenthood ruined thier life. xp
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:44 am


neutral It is kind of hard to harass someone about being child free...there's so much more s**t that people can harass about. Even if they did choose too, you have crap load of stuff you could throw back at them, starting with ignorance towards freedom of speech and choice. stare

xenerayx

Versatile Lunatic

9,150 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Generous 100


Mysterious Brett


High-functioning Lunatic

20,015 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:22 pm


AnuKat
"uh... ok well I have so many reasons, really-"
"Just pick one."
"Ok but it will offend you."
"Nothing offends me."
"No really, people think I am a total c**t when I say it."
"Just say it."
"I find babies absolutely repugnant."

Tah-Dahhh!


I love you. Marry me. heart

Quote:

And another lady, a nurse, said, after I told her my husband and I are not having kids....

"That's very smart."
I was floored.

Another woman said "I wished I was in your shoes..."

mrgreen


Wow. That nurse was a surprise. I would've been scraping my jaw off the floor if someone actually said that to me instead of the whole "you'll change your mind" garbage.
Reply
The Childfree Guild

Goto Page: [|«] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]
 
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games
//
//

// //

Have an account? Login Now!

//
//