Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Politicians of Gaia
Supreme Court Upholds Gay's Parental Rights Goto Page: [|«] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you agree with the decision?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Bishop_Aldweiss

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:03 pm


dartalian
Yondara_The ChaosMage

Well, you know... We could make it all easy, and just eliminate tax-cuts for this kind of thing COMPLETELY... stare

Actually they can go one step further and states stop recognizing marriage altogether.

Which would solve a lot of the problems we're having today.

Okay, not a lot, but some.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:26 am


Yondara_The ChaosMage
dartalian
Yondara_The ChaosMage

Well, you know... We could make it all easy, and just eliminate tax-cuts for this kind of thing COMPLETELY... stare

Actually they can go one step further and states stop recognizing marriage altogether.

Which would solve a lot of the problems we're having today.

Okay, not a lot, but some.


Considering half of today's marriages end in divorce anyway, not recognizing marriage seems like a great way to change things. That way everybody has the same rights as everybody else.

Kaian the Nerd


Scott Ritter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:30 am


I support that decision but I sometimes worry about the adopted children of homosexual couples, not because of the parents but because of the child’s peers. Children have an extreme propensity for cruelty and are very intolerant. I remember that throughout my elementary and middle school years being called gay was among the highest order of insults that could be said (that may have changed but I rather doubt it)
The child seems likely to be a magnet for bullying which seems cruel to the child


EDIT: I also agree that marriage should not be recognized by state, federal, or local government
Marriage is too well engrained in religious society for it to go away but I think it should be reduced to a religious ceremony and not encouraged by government
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:55 pm


Scott Ritter
I support that decision but I sometimes worry about the adopted children of homosexual couples, not because of the parents but because of the child’s peers. Children have an extreme propensity for cruelty and are very intolerant. I remember that throughout my elementary and middle school years being called gay was among the highest order of insults that could be said (that may have changed but I rather doubt it)
The child seems likely to be a magnet for bullying which seems cruel to the child


EDIT: I also agree that marriage should not be recognized by state, federal, or local government
Marriage is too well engrained in religious society for it to go away but I think it should be reduced to a religious ceremony and not encouraged by government


As a lesbian, I want to have a child some day and I know the cruelty of peers first hand, but I also know their kindness, not all of my peers give me insults, in fact most of them don't. Should I be denied a child because some kids are jerks? The more same-sex adoptions there are, the more publicized the topic becomes, the more rallies and protest in their favor will arise and it will become more acceptable (like women's rights and inter-racial marriages).

I do like your idea about marriage though, having it be a religious ceremony only.

Crimson-Vega


dartalian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:21 am


http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/011/918sohds.asp

getting some more information then what was merely in fox news, having just reread the thing. This de-facto parent thing sounds pretty bad actually.

Quote:
And gays and lesbians are not the only ones seeking de facto parenthood; Youmans v. Ramos, one of the cases that defined de facto parenthood in Massachusetts, involved a dispute between 11-year-old Tamika's father and her aunt, who had raised Tamika while her father was away serving in the military. Nor will gays and lesbians be the only ones to suffer from the unintended consequences of creating a new class of parents, retroactively designated and detached from any foundation in biology or adoption.

http://www.parentsrights.org/states/ma/ma62299.htm
This the guy was trying to get custody of his daughter but due to service it was difficult and took years. Then after getting custody of her, he is ordered not only to arrange visits but to pay the full expense of said visits. The aunt is trumping the biological father here.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=ma&vol=appslip/98p1052&invol=1
This is a woman, not a biological relative, nor was she the wife of the adopted father, or the biological father. The father didn’t want her to have further contact with the boy, and she is bringing him to court under this de facto parent judicial activism

This begins to open a whole new set of problems now that I am looking at it from the wide view. People who have no legal claim to a child any way can claim to be a de facto parent. Let me explain why this is bad.
My brother shacked up with a girl for about 6 months. I come home and meet the girl he is with, and she has a daughter. The daughter calls him daddy, my parents grandma and grandpa, and when I met here she called me “uncle.” Needless to say I was very shocked at this and a bit appalled. But that’s not what is important. About a month later my brother leaves her, they got into a fight and he left. Now under this de facto parent thing he could have tried to sue for custody of the child as a de facto parent. He met the requirements too. What is to stop him form doing this, besides the fact that he really didn’t want to.

Quote:
While de facto parenthood allows a subsequent spouse or a live-in boyfriend or girlfriend to continue their relationship with a child even after their relationship with the child's legal parent ends, it also allows them to use the threat of suing their ex-partner for de facto parenthood. And there are new potential consequences for parents who invite a family member to live with them. Will grandma want to take her grandchild with her when she moves out?
Reply
The Politicians of Gaia

Goto Page: [|«] [<] 1 2
 
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games
//
//

// //

Have an account? Login Now!

//
//