|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:39 am
Ex-Professor Remus Lupin Hmmm...well, guess the Harry Potter RP is completely AU then over in the slash guild because silver did effect Remus there...I have an obsession with werewolves...have since before the Harry Potter books so I have a book that has all this information on them...like, did you know that werewolves mate for life...its also said that if they kill the werewolf that created them...they become human again... My sister has that book *loves the book*. It's very helpful. My favorite part is that werewolves cannot commit suicide *wonders if Fenrir attacks others as a result of his frustration to not be able to kill himself*. That is also why I was convinced that Remmie's birthday was Christmas Eve (still likes that better then March 10).
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:16 am
RegulusofSlytherin Ex-Professor Remus Lupin Hmmm...well, guess the Harry Potter RP is completely AU then over in the slash guild because silver did effect Remus there...I have an obsession with werewolves...have since before the Harry Potter books so I have a book that has all this information on them...like, did you know that werewolves mate for life...its also said that if they kill the werewolf that created them...they become human again... My sister has that book *loves the book*. It's very helpful. My favorite part is that werewolves cannot commit suicide *wonders if Fenrir attacks others as a result of his frustration to not be able to kill himself*. That is also why I was convinced that Remmie's birthday was Christmas Eve (still likes that better then March 10). To go off on a complete tangent that's not related to Greyback: what book is this that says werewolves can't commit suicide, or mate for life, or kill the werewolf that created them to become human again? It's a bit like saying sunlight kills vampires, or elves and dwarves are mortal enemies forever and ever 'til the end of time. While I think that it's interesting that this book either complied various werewolf conventions or created a few for fun, I doubt it's the be all end all source of lycanthropia; after all, JKR threw out the notion that silver kills werewolves, so she might not be going on all the various superstitions that surround them.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:22 pm
It's a kind of compilation of a bunch of werewolf myths and traditions. You're always allowed to take stuff out as a writer, but sometimes it's fun to just leave the myths intact.
Hang on, I'll go look on Amazon and see if I can find the book.
EDIT: Found it!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1578590787/qid=1130358177/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/102-5896140-7668947?v=glance&s=books
Or, at least, that's the one I'm talking about sweatdrop . I think my sister said it was listed under the mental disorders section of the library rolleyes .
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:27 am
Im interested to know what caused Remmie's dad to annoy greyback. He must have insulted him in some way, or something. Remus' background is almost completely unknown. I was thinking that maybe it had something to do with why Sirius thought that Remus might have been a spy.....
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:44 am
I'm convinced that Mr. Lupin insulted Greyback by trying to force some anti-werewolf laws through the ministry.
The Remus got bit, and Mr. Lupin changed his tune. He saw how hard he'd made life for his beloved son and wanted to take it back but couldn't. ninja
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:46 am
Ex-Professor Remus Lupin Hmmm...well, guess the Harry Potter RP is completely AU then over in the slash guild because silver did effect Remus there...
I read a fanfic with that, I think it was in the shoebox project, and Sirius gets real pissed at Severus because he puts silver in Remus's marmalade. Remus gets sick and Severus makes this remark that really riles Sirius up, like, "Its not my fault some people can't hold their silver".
Ex-Professor Remus Lupin Its also said that if they kill the werewolf that created them...they become human again...
I liked this idea, so I Googled werewolf legends and found this:
Quote: Werewolf Packs: Like real wolves, werewolves can live alone for many years, yet the instinct for a pack often leads them away from their secretive lifestyle, into revealing their nature to a priest or close associate, or converting another to werewolfry for companionship. This is when the otherwise cagey werewolf opens himself to detection. Werewolf packs cause immense destruction. A pack consists of one werewolf who became a werewolf through sorcery, birth, or curse - in other words, his is the original tainted blood. This werewolf is called the Alpha werewolf. The remaining werewolves in the pack are called Beta werewolves because they became werewolves through the bite of the Alpha and carry the Alpha's tainted blood. Alpha and Beta werewolves: The relationship between Alpha and Beta werewolves is a complex one. Once a subject is bitten by a werewolf, his or her life and death are doomed to the werewolf curse. The victim does, however, have some hope - as long as they themselves do not taste of human blood, the curse is reversible. If the Alpha werewolf is killed - through some action of the Beta - the Beta's curse is broken. It is important to note that whether the Beta werewolf was bitten by the Alpha werewolf himself or by another Beta, it is the Alpha who must be destroyed - the source of the original tainted blood. It is also an interesting note that since Betas and Alphas share common blood, an Alpha cannot physically harm a Beta of his own bloodline by his own hands without inflicting the same injury upon himself. However, if a Beta is harmed or killed by another, it does not affect the Alpha.
Has JK seen this? Has she adopted this as a characteristic of werewolves or is it to join silver in the HP rubbishbin? If she is using this, and I hope she is, then we could assume that Fenrir is the Alpha werewolf and Lupin is a Beta, along with all the other unfortunates bitten as children. Even Bill is, to a lesser extent, a Beta. Lupin has never tasted any human blood, I think, although there was a close call with Severus. If Lupin kills Fenrir, could it be possible for him to stop being a werewolf?! But... Being a werewolf is so much a part of his identity... That it might not necessarily be a good thing...
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:47 am
Whats the deal with the page stretching? confused I don't like it.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:03 pm
Quote: Fenrir (or Fenris) is a gigantic and terrible monster in the shape of a wolf. He is the eldest child of Loki and the giantess Angrboda. The gods learned of a prophecy which stated that the wolf and his family would one day be responsible for the destruction of the world. They caught the wolf and locked him in a cage. Only the god of war, Tyr, dared to feed and take care of the wolf.
Just a little fact connected with the alpha werewolf. biggrin
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:42 am
Why has this thread been abandoned?
Was it something I said? eek
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:14 pm
I don't think its you Acidic, the thread just wanted to die. Here is somthing I was wondering about: how exactly did Fenrir become so blood thirsty? Was it because of all the biting he did, that he now likes the taste of blood? Is it addicting?
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:28 am
Basil_Hallward I don't think its you Acidic, the thread just wanted to die. Here is somthing I was wondering about: how exactly did Fenrir become so blood thirsty? Was it because of all the biting he did, that he now likes the taste of blood? Is it addicting? Power? The power he holds over the victims, over their parents, and the wizarding community, because he can do this thing to them, this horrible, life-changing thing that will affect them for the rest of their lives if they don't give him what he wants.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:16 pm
Acidic Cynic Basil_Hallward I don't think its you Acidic, the thread just wanted to die. Here is somthing I was wondering about: how exactly did Fenrir become so blood thirsty? Was it because of all the biting he did, that he now likes the taste of blood? Is it addicting? Power? The power he holds over the victims, over their parents, and the wizarding community, because he can do this thing to them, this horrible, life-changing thing that will affect them for the rest of their lives if they don't give him what he wants. That makes sense. So do you think the first time he bit it was for power, or that after it happened once or twice he realised he had power? I think it may have been an acidental discovery.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:30 pm
Basil_Hallward Acidic Cynic Basil_Hallward I don't think its you Acidic, the thread just wanted to die. Here is somthing I was wondering about: how exactly did Fenrir become so blood thirsty? Was it because of all the biting he did, that he now likes the taste of blood? Is it addicting? Power? The power he holds over the victims, over their parents, and the wizarding community, because he can do this thing to them, this horrible, life-changing thing that will affect them for the rest of their lives if they don't give him what he wants. That makes sense. So do you think the first time he bit it was for power, or that after it happened once or twice he realised he had power? I think it may have been an acidental discovery. Maybe he was apprenticed to a werewolf who taught him? I don't know. Why do serial killers keep on killing and how do they realise they like/need it?
Hey Basil, what d'ya think of my Alpha/Beta werewolf theory? Did you read it?
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:13 pm
Acidic Cynic Hey Basil, what d'ya think of my Alpha/Beta werewolf theory? Did you read it? I did, it makes alot of sense. I've actually adopted it, since it's so nice. I just have one question though: What happens if the Alpha dies by a means other then by one of his or her Betas? Does annother Beta take over as Alpha? I really like the theory but if Fenrir really is an Alpha he'd have to have never been bitten himself, maybe that is why he can bite with out thinking much about it. Or he could have been as you said been taught by annother werewolf, maybe the the last Alpha if a Beta does take over for the Alpha if he dies not by hand of the Beta.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:13 am
Basil_Hallward Acidic Cynic Hey Basil, what d'ya think of my Alpha/Beta werewolf theory? Did you read it? I did, it makes alot of sense. I've actually adopted it, since it's so nice. I just have one question though: What happens if the Alpha dies by a means other then by one of his or her Betas? Does annother Beta take over as Alpha? I really like the theory but if Fenrir really is an Alpha he'd have to have never been bitten himself, maybe that is why he can bite with out thinking much about it. Or he could have been as you said been taught by annother werewolf, maybe the the last Alpha if a Beta does take over for the Alpha if he dies not by hand of the Beta. You know, I was wondering that myself when I first quoted that exerpt. I honestly don't know. It seems to imply that if the Alpha is killed by someone other that a Beta, then the Beta's are still cursed.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|