Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Politicians of Gaia
Curfew: Right/Wrong or When/How Goto Page: [|«] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should curfews be established?
  Yes
  No
View Results

BitchesBrew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:06 pm


To make curfews is a strong blow to americans rights. The govt has no business in setting up a time we can or can not be on the street. It also stereotypes teens as being destructive but they can do because teens have no power. It also undermines the authority of parents. To put curfews on teens is not different than not allowing gays,blacks,latinos,whites,asians,old,disabled ect out at a certain time.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:35 am


DarthNader
Invictus_88
DarthNader
Invictus_88
DarthNader

rarely does the population need more protection than from a government so mad with power they think they can put curfews.


You know, a curfew can be placed by a local council or by a local police force. They can be placed only on the individuals who have been causing the problems. It need not be wholesale.

The definition of irrelevant.
it doesnt matter who imposes it: curfews are evil


If that is your belief, then I'm led to believe that you've only a hazy understanding of the word evil.


All I'm saying is this: If you don't have a healty ( and by healthy, I mean paranoid) hate and fear of authoritarianism of any and all kinds, you haven't read 1984 enough times


I do hope you're not serious.

Invictus_88


Invictus_88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:38 am


BitchesBrew
To make curfews is a strong blow to americans rights. The govt has no business in setting up a time we can or can not be on the street. It also stereotypes teens as being destructive but they can do because teens have no power. It also undermines the authority of parents. To put curfews on teens is not different than not allowing gays,blacks,latinos,whites,asians,old,disabled ect out at a certain time.


To pretend that putting curfews on troublesome individuals is a serious infringement on US civil rights is to draw attention from the real issues of shoddy and pervasive surveillance, police brutality and detainment without trial.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:35 pm


Invictus_88
DarthNader
Invictus_88
DarthNader
Invictus_88
DarthNader

rarely does the population need more protection than from a government so mad with power they think they can put curfews.


You know, a curfew can be placed by a local council or by a local police force. They can be placed only on the individuals who have been causing the problems. It need not be wholesale.

The definition of irrelevant.
it doesnt matter who imposes it: curfews are evil


If that is your belief, then I'm led to believe that you've only a hazy understanding of the word evil.


All I'm saying is this: If you don't have a healty ( and by healthy, I mean paranoid) hate and fear of authoritarianism of any and all kinds, you haven't read 1984 enough times


I do hope you're not serious.

I am most definitely serious. I know a threat when I see one, and, though I hate to sound like jerry fallwell- nothing is a bigger threat to the american Ideals of freedom than an authoritarian government. Not terrorism, not crime, not "activist judges".

DarthNader
Vice Captain


Invictus_88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:56 pm


DarthNader
Invictus_88
DarthNader
Invictus_88
DarthNader

The definition of irrelevant.
it doesnt matter who imposes it: curfews are evil


If that is your belief, then I'm led to believe that you've only a hazy understanding of the word evil.


All I'm saying is this: If you don't have a healty ( and by healthy, I mean paranoid) hate and fear of authoritarianism of any and all kinds, you haven't read 1984 enough times


I do hope you're not serious.

I am most definitely serious. I know a threat when I see one, and, though I hate to sound like jerry fallwell- nothing is a bigger threat to the american Ideals of freedom than an authoritarian government. Not terrorism, not crime, not "activist judges".


Then why not try to counter those things that are actual hallmarks of an authoritarian system. As opposed to valid curfews.

They can tap your phone, they record your calls, they read your emails and track your internet searches. They beat up your grandfather, torture terrorist suspects and leave poor people to drown.

But they won't let a troublemaker stay up all night hanging around town?

Oh cry havoc! Let slip the dogs of war!

rolleyes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:36 pm


Invictus_88
DarthNader
Invictus_88
DarthNader
Invictus_88
DarthNader

The definition of irrelevant.
it doesnt matter who imposes it: curfews are evil


If that is your belief, then I'm led to believe that you've only a hazy understanding of the word evil.


All I'm saying is this: If you don't have a healty ( and by healthy, I mean paranoid) hate and fear of authoritarianism of any and all kinds, you haven't read 1984 enough times


I do hope you're not serious.

I am most definitely serious. I know a threat when I see one, and, though I hate to sound like jerry fallwell- nothing is a bigger threat to the american Ideals of freedom than an authoritarian government. Not terrorism, not crime, not "activist judges".


Then why not try to counter those things that are actual hallmarks of an authoritarian system. As opposed to valid curfews.

They can tap your phone, they record your calls, they read your emails and track your internet searches. They beat up your grandfather, torture terrorist suspects and leave poor people to drown.

But they won't let a troublemaker stay up all night hanging around town?

Oh cry havoc! Let slip the dogs of war!

rolleyes

well, it wasnt me who brought up curfews.
All I'm saying is, it started with curfews, then before you know it, BAM, patriot act, b***h.
And when they do, in fact, drag your grandpa out on the street and beat him to death: dont say I didnt warn you

DarthNader
Vice Captain


Invictus_88

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:43 am


DarthNader
Invictus_88
DarthNader
Invictus_88
DarthNader


All I'm saying is this: If you don't have a healty ( and by healthy, I mean paranoid) hate and fear of authoritarianism of any and all kinds, you haven't read 1984 enough times


I do hope you're not serious.

I am most definitely serious. I know a threat when I see one, and, though I hate to sound like jerry fallwell- nothing is a bigger threat to the american Ideals of freedom than an authoritarian government. Not terrorism, not crime, not "activist judges".


Then why not try to counter those things that are actual hallmarks of an authoritarian system. As opposed to valid curfews.

They can tap your phone, they record your calls, they read your emails and track your internet searches. They beat up your grandfather, torture terrorist suspects and leave poor people to drown.

But they won't let a troublemaker stay up all night hanging around town?

Oh cry havoc! Let slip the dogs of war!

rolleyes

well, it wasnt me who brought up curfews.
All I'm saying is, it started with curfews, then before you know it, BAM, patriot act, b***h.
And when they do, in fact, drag your grandpa out on the street and beat him to death: dont say I didnt warn you


lol

It's possible to have the valid curfews without the invalid infringments on civil liberties.

Also, the beaten-up old man? It happened recently, in New Orleans, it was on the news. That's why I mentioned it.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:46 am


Anything that can be done at night can be done in broad daylight, I say. And anyway, criminals can always break one MORE law and stay out past ten.

If it's a matter of safety for the potential victims of night crime, well, what is the curfew, my mommy?

Wendigo

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200

vrykolakas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:39 am


Curfews could be a good idea, if everyone slept during the night, and was awake during the day, but its not that way all the time. I think with a curfew you would run into several problems and issues. Although it is a good idea in certain situations
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:07 pm


Invictus_88
BitchesBrew
To make curfews is a strong blow to americans rights. The govt has no business in setting up a time we can or can not be on the street. It also stereotypes teens as being destructive but they can do because teens have no power. It also undermines the authority of parents. To put curfews on teens is not different than not allowing gays,blacks,latinos,whites,asians,old,disabled ect out at a certain time.


To pretend that putting curfews on troublesome individuals is a serious infringement on US civil rights is to draw attention from the real issues of shoddy and pervasive surveillance, police brutality and detainment without trial.

neutral What? Curfews are against civil rights just like policr brutality, surveillance, and detainment and all should not be allowed to happen.

BitchesBrew


Sseureoji Sin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:38 pm


BitchesBrew
Invictus_88
BitchesBrew
To make curfews is a strong blow to americans rights. The govt has no business in setting up a time we can or can not be on the street. It also stereotypes teens as being destructive but they can do because teens have no power. It also undermines the authority of parents. To put curfews on teens is not different than not allowing gays,blacks,latinos,whites,asians,old,disabled ect out at a certain time.


To pretend that putting curfews on troublesome individuals is a serious infringement on US civil rights is to draw attention from the real issues of shoddy and pervasive surveillance, police brutality and detainment without trial.

neutral What? Curfews are against civil rights just like policr brutality, surveillance, and detainment and all should not be allowed to happen.

Of course those are against civil rights, however to give a curfew in order to possibly assist in the apprehension of people who, at other times might not get caught, to be stopped for something minor, have a check run on them quickly and find out that they have a warrant for their arrest. This is almost like saying that cons and ex-cons should have the exact same rights that everyone else does even though by committing an offense they have made any rights that they had forfiet.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:09 am


BitchesBrew
Invictus_88
BitchesBrew
To make curfews is a strong blow to americans rights. The govt has no business in setting up a time we can or can not be on the street. It also stereotypes teens as being destructive but they can do because teens have no power. It also undermines the authority of parents. To put curfews on teens is not different than not allowing gays,blacks,latinos,whites,asians,old,disabled ect out at a certain time.


To pretend that putting curfews on troublesome individuals is a serious infringement on US civil rights is to draw attention from the real issues of shoddy and pervasive surveillance, police brutality and detainment without trial.

neutral What? Curfews are against civil rights just like policr brutality, surveillance, and detainment and all should not be allowed to happen.


Curfews, when applied to individuals, work very well in solving antisocial behaviour. Police brutality and detainment without trial do not.

Thus, the former should be encouraged and the latter two removed.

Invictus_88


BitchesBrew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:14 pm


If someone could comit a crime a night they could do it in the daytime it makes very little difference. If your going to give someone a curfew you might as well give them house arrest.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:03 am


BitchesBrew
If someone could comit a crime a night they could do it in the daytime it makes very little difference. If your going to give someone a curfew you might as well give them house arrest.


Except that most crime is done at night. From burglary to mugging, vandalism and rape.

Invictus_88


BitchesBrew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:38 pm


Invictus_88
BitchesBrew
If someone could comit a crime a night they could do it in the daytime it makes very little difference. If your going to give someone a curfew you might as well give them house arrest.


Except that most crime is done at night. From burglary to mugging, vandalism and rape.

and if you dont allow people to go out at night its going to be done in the day.
Reply
The Politicians of Gaia

Goto Page: [|«] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]
 
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games
//
//

// //

Have an account? Login Now!

//
//