Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Adult Gaians- College and Beyond!
The most misunderstood profession in all the land! Goto Page: [|«] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

a` dieu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:14 pm


Satil

It''s good that you have thought about everything. smile

Social Work is also a pretty demanding and underpaid job. It''s not quite as demanding as teaching though. You have to take some of that work home where I can leave most of mine at the office.

It truly is a labor of love. I consider teaching to be one of the most respectable professions.


Thank you. smile

Social Work is very demanding, you have deal with so many kinds of people with many of them being, let''s say, not so very nice. Not to mention all the stereotypes revolving around that career. I think a lot of patience and dedication is needed when going into Social Work. From what I read of your posts, you have a good head on your shoulders, so I think you''ll be awesome in your profession.

I hope much success comes down the road for you.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:10 pm


I can understand where people get confused about social workers. I mean there are some good ones and some bad ones. I just think of the ladies that were in the clinic my dad use to go to ...and those ladies for the most part do a lot of s**t.

Nikia

Hygienic Browser

5,825 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Statustician 100

Satil
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:35 pm


a` dieu
Satil

It''s good that you have thought about everything. smile

Social Work is also a pretty demanding and underpaid job. It''s not quite as demanding as teaching though. You have to take some of that work home where I can leave most of mine at the office.

It truly is a labor of love. I consider teaching to be one of the most respectable professions.


Thank you. smile

Social Work is very demanding, you have deal with so many kinds of people with many of them being, let''s say, not so very nice. Not to mention all the stereotypes revolving around that career. I think a lot of patience and dedication is needed when going into Social Work. From what I read of your posts, you have a good head on your shoulders, so I think you''ll be awesome in your profession.

I hope much success comes down the road for you.



Aww, thanks. ^__^

Most all of what you said about Social Work is true. You have no idea how many times I've heard, "what the hell did you want to do THAT for?" It get frustrating. sad

I wish you much luck in your career as well.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:09 pm


Satil
a` dieu
Satil

It''s good that you have thought about everything. smile

Social Work is also a pretty demanding and underpaid job. It''s not quite as demanding as teaching though. You have to take some of that work home where I can leave most of mine at the office.

It truly is a labor of love. I consider teaching to be one of the most respectable professions.


Thank you. smile

Social Work is very demanding, you have deal with so many kinds of people with many of them being, let''s say, not so very nice. Not to mention all the stereotypes revolving around that career. I think a lot of patience and dedication is needed when going into Social Work. From what I read of your posts, you have a good head on your shoulders, so I think you''ll be awesome in your profession.

I hope much success comes down the road for you.



Aww, thanks. ^__^

Most all of what you said about Social Work is true. You have no idea how many times I've heard, "what the hell did you want to do THAT for?" It get frustrating. sad

I wish you much luck in your career as well.


Thank you. biggrin

Oh yeah, people have asked me that too. It can get really frustrating, but I just tell them: "Well, someone gots to do it!"

a` dieu


Satil
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:22 pm


a` dieu
Satil
a` dieu
Satil

It''s good that you have thought about everything. smile

Social Work is also a pretty demanding and underpaid job. It''s not quite as demanding as teaching though. You have to take some of that work home where I can leave most of mine at the office.

It truly is a labor of love. I consider teaching to be one of the most respectable professions.


Thank you. smile

Social Work is very demanding, you have deal with so many kinds of people with many of them being, let''s say, not so very nice. Not to mention all the stereotypes revolving around that career. I think a lot of patience and dedication is needed when going into Social Work. From what I read of your posts, you have a good head on your shoulders, so I think you''ll be awesome in your profession.

I hope much success comes down the road for you.



Aww, thanks. ^__^

Most all of what you said about Social Work is true. You have no idea how many times I've heard, "what the hell did you want to do THAT for?" It get frustrating. sad

I wish you much luck in your career as well.


Thank you. biggrin

Oh yeah, people have asked me that too. It can get really frustrating, but I just tell them: "Well, someone gots to do it!"


People have learned not to ask me that. For I have a very long script of many reasons.

"someone's got to do it" may very well become a new one. ^__^
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:58 pm


Another one... botanist... many automatically assume you're a plant doctor, if they even know what botany is!

LilKitty115


Ylisa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:49 pm


i'm a nanny and i always get strange looks when i tell people and they usually follow up with "i haven't heard that one before, or so is your family rich or something"
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:52 pm


LilKitty115
Another one... botanist... many automatically assume you're a plant doctor, if they even know what botany is!


I admit, I have no idea what a botanist really does. Erm, study plants, like Medicine Man?

Satil
Vice Captain


Manda_Tifa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:27 pm


I work in the Video Department at a local grocery store. People seem to automatically assume that just because I work with movies means I've seen them all. I get sick of telling people that I've never seen the movie they are inquiring about, and then they look all insulted, like they've got an inexperienced worker. I was hired as a general grocery store associate and then PUT in that department after two years of being a cashier. I can tell you what sort of movies the general public seems to like, but I can't tell you about a particular movie if I haven't seen it!

I plan on being an elementary art teacher. People seem to adore that goal for some reason. Except for my uncle. He (a teacher himself) warned me that there is no money involved, especially in the art department, because when the budget cuts come, the art department is the first to go! I still plan on continuing this though.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:27 pm


LilKitty115
Another one... botanist... many automatically assume you're a plant doctor, if they even know what botany is!
You mean you're NOT a plant doctor??? xp

Manda_Tifa


PROJECT NOVA

3,400 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:02 pm


They changed it to be a ******** off.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:08 pm


Manda_Tifa
I work in the Video Department at a local grocery store. People seem to automatically assume that just because I work with movies means I've seen them all. I get sick of telling people that I've never seen the movie they are inquiring about, and then they look all insulted, like they've got an inexperienced worker. I was hired as a general grocery store associate and then PUT in that department after two years of being a cashier. I can tell you what sort of movies the general public seems to like, but I can't tell you about a particular movie if I haven't seen it!

I plan on being an elementary art teacher. People seem to adore that goal for some reason. Except for my uncle. He (a teacher himself) warned me that there is no money involved, especially in the art department, because when the budget cuts come, the art department is the first to go! I still plan on continuing this though.


You're not alone there. It's the same way in a bookstore. Whenever I'm working at information or in the kids department, people always ask if I've read a certain title. Then, if I say no (which is most of the time), they give me funny looks and are probably wondering if I'm truly "educated" enough to work in a bookstore...

The other day was great. I had this one lady who was really testing my patience. She kept insisting that we carried this one game either called "Taxi" or "Traffic Jam". I told her that I couldn't find it in the system, and she asked if I could find someone with more emperience... I was so tempted to tell her that I was the most experienced one in the store (which I was at the moment...even my manager had been at our store for a shorter period) and that she needed to lay off.

Of course, her husband's suggestion was completely infalliable and I was just a complete moron. That must be it... rolleyes Social work must deal with a lot of idiots like that too, so I admire anyway who has the patience to deal with it. It must be gratifying once you get around all of the setbacks though (yay...I actually made a point in the post to make it relevant sweatdrop ).

vast_cerulean


Mr. BANME

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:19 am


a` dieu
At first, I wanted to be an artist. Art was my passion. All I ever did was draw, paint, sketch, think, and dreamed art.

But, then my Uncle told me that I would starve as an artist. Because, I looked up to him, his statement made a profound impact on me. It felt like he took my little dream cloud and stabbed it with reality's butcher's knife. I stopped drawing for a few years, but now I'm picking it up again. I'm angry with myself for listening to him, especially after thinking about all the years of practice I have lost.

Similar thing happened tome. I wanted to be an artist until when I was in Junior's School I was reading a careers book and the only entry it had for artists was a designer of advertisements and billboards.. so I kinda lost interest in art, only now when I pick a pencil up I can't seem to draw anymore. People tell me you can't lose a skill but I seem to have done.

Anyway, on topic, you're right. My group at college has a lot of people who want to go into Social Work and I have to admit before talking to them I had no idea what the job entailed. sweatdrop
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:53 pm


Botany is the study of plants, their physiology, functions, all the scientific stuff behind the pretty flowers and leaves. Nope, not a plant doctor! I can be... I don't think there is a field for plant doctors sweatdrop

LilKitty115


a` dieu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:04 pm


Yoshioka Yoko
a` dieu
At first, I wanted to be an artist. Art was my passion. All I ever did was draw, paint, sketch, think, and dreamed art.

But, then my Uncle told me that I would starve as an artist. Because, I looked up to him, his statement made a profound impact on me. It felt like he took my little dream cloud and stabbed it with reality's butcher's knife. I stopped drawing for a few years, but now I'm picking it up again. I'm angry with myself for listening to him, especially after thinking about all the years of practice I have lost.

Similar thing happened tome. I wanted to be an artist until when I was in Junior's School I was reading a careers book and the only entry it had for artists was a designer of advertisements and billboards.. so I kinda lost interest in art, only now when I pick a pencil up I can't seem to draw anymore. People tell me you can't lose a skill but I seem to have done.

Anyway, on topic, you're right. My group at college has a lot of people who want to go into Social Work and I have to admit before talking to them I had no idea what the job entailed. sweatdrop


I don't think you lose a skill, but you do have to practice in order to be at the level you once were.

When I started drawing again, my drawings looked like I was from kindergarten or something. But, the more I drew, the more I was able to attain that refinement I was had in my skill. Now, that I started drawing again, my Daddy has been showing off my work to the office. They really think that I should go into art, make my own characters and whatnot.

I think I will, as sort of a side project. 3nodding

Keep practicing! You'll be pro again in to time!
Reply
Adult Gaians- College and Beyond!

Goto Page: [|«] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]
 
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games
//
//

// //

Have an account? Login Now!

//
//