|
|
| Have you been harassed IRL for being CF? |
| YES! |
|
66% |
[ 14 ] |
| Not yet, thankfully... |
|
33% |
[ 7 ] |
|
| Total Votes : 21 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:59 pm
I've been harassed more times than I can count, but I figure as I remember them I can use this thread to tell the stories...
One of the more interesting ones came from a woman I worked with YEARS ago, when I met my first b/f and was planning to move... "So when are you getting married? Are you pregnant yet?" "Um... I'm not getting married, nor am I going to have children. Everyone keeps saying that. I'm just moving off so we can be closer. It's not like we're being FORCED to be together." "Yea, but no girl wants to be with a man unless she's getting married so she can have babies." ... "Plenty of girls have babies without being with any man." "Yea, but that's not right. That's a sin." rolleyes stare "Has it ocurred to you that I'm not like other girls?" "All girls are the same!" eek "Um, not quite... Y'know, this is my first b/f." "Have you been saving yourself for marriage?" rofl "I said it is my first b/f, not my first lover. ... Think for a minute what that might mean..." question confused exclaim idea neutral confused xp talk2hand "That's sick. I'm so glad you found this man so he can help save your soul and lead you away from that kind of life." eek evil "He knows how I am, he accepts me as I am, and he places no limitations on me. He knows better than that." "Doesn't he want kids?" "I've already told him that if he does he can find someone else." "You don't really love him." "No, I do. However, I also love myself." "Whatever. I think you need a shrink."
That was the last time she ever spoke to me. I found out that the reason she hates me now that I came back is because I still have no children. Apparently she bet a lot of people that I'd come back with a baby per year. Um... NO. Unlike her, I don't have to farm babies for a living.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:51 pm
I'm still technically a teenager, so I haven't been harassed for not having children, but I have been harassed for not WANTING children, ever, and saying so.
What's so terrible about that?
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:00 pm
Tell people that you're part of a cult that requires its members to sacrifice their first-born child to some obscure dark god, and since you don't wish to make that sacrifice yourself, that is why you're never having kids. See what their reactions would be. xd
Actually, that sounds kind of fun. I'll have to try that some time. whee
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:17 pm
Yes! On an almost daily basis by my mother.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:12 am
No. People have yet to really try to harass me for not having or wanting children. I think that it is because right before they do, I have a tendency to give-off these vibes that say "No, I will not change my mind. Uness you want to lose a limb, do not press the issue". Granted, I wouldn't actually tear-off someone's limb, but I have to admit it would probably be tempting.
And in regards to that woman referring to staying childfree as a "sin", I'm going to have to call bullshit. Why is it a sin if you do not wish to add to the overpopulation of the earth? Damn, I guess I'm an evil heathen if that is the case. rolleyes
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:20 pm
Thankfully, I don't really get that too terribly often. I think my mom already knows that no grandchildren will be forthcoming from me.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:39 pm
I get that at holidays, when my grandmother and mother can gang up on me...worse off, I'm physically a child myself! Aside from being annoying little bruts, I don't want any part in children, and yet my entire family seems to think if I were to have a child tomorrow (god forbid) I'd be much better off...
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:35 pm
I used to get herassed a lot by my mom, but since I stopped talking to my family my life has been blissfully herassment free.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:55 am
Brandon Taylor I used to get herassed a lot by my mom, but since I stopped talking to my family my life has been blissfully herassment free. They probably also gave you s**t over your sexuality, eh? My family is weird. They accept that I'm able to go either way, and that I even prefer women to men... But yet, they cannot accept that my brother could be gay. As a result, he's 26 and never been in a relationship. He's always claiming that he can't find a girl her likes, but it's so obvious that isn't the problem. The problem is that he CAN'T find someone he likes because then he'd end up disowned. Blegh... I guess it is because they see him as the one who should be straight so he can make the babies. LoL, not that he'd want any to begin with... He's like me. He's simply anti-reproduction because of how many unwanted kids exist. ^_^ We have to be that way. We're adopted. As such, we've always felt it'd be selfish and terrible to have our own children anyway. Turns out we've never wanted kids at all anyway.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:39 pm
Yes, I get harassed a lot but fortunately, I don't have to listen to it from my family. My parents understand and support my decision. It irritates me a great deal when I have to hear the normal lines such as "Oh, you'll change your mind," "It's selfish of you not to reproduce," "Don't you want to carry on your family name?" (okay, that one is aimed towards my husband) but at least when the day is said and done, my decisions are embraced by my family.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:29 am
After my mom's comment wondering why her siblings didn't 'get with the program' - I've got no cousins on that side, after all - I figured it'd be best to just keep my yap shut about it around her, and let my sister do the baby-having in another 10-12 years. Still, it's annoying to get those offhand comments from Mom along the lines of 'when you have kids...' mad
That's where the goat-farming jokes come in handy. She just chalks that up to my weird sense of humor, and mother-daughter clash #62309213809214 is averted. rolleyes
My dad's perfectly understanding, and he's the one whose siblings provided me with cousins. Hmmm...
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:43 pm
Mostly just everyone saying that I'm gonna change my mind when my biological clock starts ticking.
I'll show them evil
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:23 pm
And, the question is begged: why is it that idiots are allowed to reproduce? gonk
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:22 pm
goescrunch Brandon Taylor I used to get herassed a lot by my mom, but since I stopped talking to my family my life has been blissfully herassment free. They probably also gave you s**t over your sexuality, eh? My family is weird. They accept that I'm able to go either way, and that I even prefer women to men... But yet, they cannot accept that my brother could be gay. As a result, he's 26 and never been in a relationship. He's always claiming that he can't find a girl her likes, but it's so obvious that isn't the problem. The problem is that he CAN'T find someone he likes because then he'd end up disowned. Blegh... I guess it is because they see him as the one who should be straight so he can make the babies. LoL, not that he'd want any to begin with... He's like me. He's simply anti-reproduction because of how many unwanted kids exist. ^_^ We have to be that way. We're adopted. As such, we've always felt it'd be selfish and terrible to have our own children anyway. Turns out we've never wanted kids at all anyway. My father disowned me over it and my mother constantly tried to guilt me into change so yeah, I got a lot of s**t about it. Some of my extended family isn't so evil though.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:25 pm
Angelic Celestia And, the question is begged: why is it that idiots are allowed to reproduce? gonk Idiots are easier to keep under control. neutral
To address the topic though, I try not to bring up the issue often in person. Of course, I've never really had many relationships, so it never has reason to come up. sweatdrop But the few people I've told haven't given me too much backtalk about it at least.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|